Training for MMA

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ero-Sennin, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, for any of you that remember me whining about how to train during the summer : P. I ended up not being able to do as much as I was hoping, but working full time for the summer is over (woo hoo!). Now I'll only be working twice a week (weekend if I need it) and can devote a lot more time to hardcore training.

I've taken up MMA and am hoping to fight within a year or two but am a little uncertain on how to train. I haven't exactly came up with a routine or anything yet, but this is the jist of what I will be doing.

(For standup up fighting) - Bagwork, rope jumping, and running to get my general endurance up. Planning on waking up at 5 A.M. to run 5 miles every other day (if not every day) and some rope work/bag work during or before my MMA training (which will be Mon-Thurs and maybe some other days of the week if I can find somebody to train with).

(For wresting) - I've only gotten the chance to do this a few times and wow . . . talk about the need for explosive energy plus endurance. I plan on doing training that a football player could use. Using drills like standing in place, chopping your feet (like running on your tippy toes really fast in place) for a second, dropping to the ground, rolling and then jumping back up as fast as you can, and other drills with the same intensity, more based around the "get on the ground, get back up quickly type."

(For ground work) - I'm thinking between the running and wrestling endurance stuff I'll be doing, as well as practicing the BJJ for about an hour every day for 5 minute rounds out the butt I'll have the endurance down for that as well.

(Weightlifting) - I plan on doing a lot of explosive olympic lifts in my routines, as well as plyometrics. I also want to do exercises to build up arm/shoulder strength as well as get my traps really thick so when I shrug it makes it harder for me to get tapped out with a choke. I also plan on really working my core a lot as well.

I know this isn't a routine, but it is the jist of what I want to do and why. Opinions and corrections are welcome. When I finally do make a routine I will post that up but I need to get what I want to do and what would be smart to do set first.

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Chad Waterbury's "Hammer Down" articles at T-Nation really are excellent
    Endurance
    Strength
    (still waiting on the third and final one "Mobility")
    Applying the Tabata method (20seconds full-tilt, 10 seconds rest, repeat 8x) to bagwork or sprints is really good for cardio too.

3. Ero-Sennin

Wow umm . . . thanks for the post. My whole routine that I had in mind has just been completely changed . . . . . and is chaning more and more the more I read it. Thankyou for the link Server.

4. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

hammer down is a good program, im on it right now. first time i did the endurance program i almost threw up, i went as hard as i could though. i like the style of lifts he included for the strength portion too. cant wait to see what the mobility section looks like. if you have any questions about the program, shoot me a PM, i might be able to clear things up.

5. Ero-Sennin

The only problem I have is the cable pulls. I think I'll just incorporate the drills I was going to do earlier in order to replace it, the "get down get up quick" drills.

6. Ero-Sennin

I just finished reading the part on strength training and I didn't like it all too much. I did like the concept of working out twice a week, and the way you do the reps and sets, but I think I can do better with different exercises. I'll probably try his way after mine if mine seems to suck : P. I wasn't too big on the 120% past your 1 rep max and only going down a few inches : /.

7. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Mind if I aksed you to post the following details?

training experience
    max weight lifted for the following
    squat
    bench
    row
    deadlift
    standing barbell press
    chins

Also, how much time you can devote to training in a week and what you wanna achieve specifically

8. Ero-Sennin

Training experience - I know what my body can handle ;) I have general knowledge (not much more : P) about training.

Squat - Don't know, I would place around 400 though.
    Bench - 290 I believe
    Row- not something I max in
    Deadlift - I could do 400 lbs for reps of 5 easy
    Standing barbell press - eh, don't know this either but if it were standing and I could use a little legs I would say around 185.
    Chins - Not something I do regularly : P.

And if your intent for these questions was to tell me I'm a dumb ****, well . . . ok. My routines that I plan to make will revolve a lot around what he had to say, just not his exercises. I have things that I want to do specifically with my body as well that I feel I need to do.

Days committed to training . . . every day save for Sunday, but I'm not going to train intensely every day. I will probably do the endurance section he wrote up 3 days a week though, and stick to doing a full body workout twice a week.

What I plan to achieve . . . having endurance and strength to a point where I can fight.

9. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

check out Matt Fureys Combat Conditioning...

10. Ero-Sennin

I hope that was a joke . . . . . . .

11. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Are there any grappling drills you can do with a heavybag?

12. Ero-Sennin

Hmm, I'm having a hard time understanding whether or not people are being sarcastic or are asking serious questions, or if they are even dirrected at me.

I'm sure there is something you can do to help grappling with a punching bag? I'm not really focusing on fighting with my working out though, I will be getting that 4 days a week for 2 - 3 hours every day, grappling for about an hour. I am also going to try and find somebody to practice with outside of class (mainly BJJ due to it taking a while to learn.).

13. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Nah man I was serious, I figured there gotta be some good drills you can do "rolling" with a heavybag if there are no training partners around.

14. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Mark Hatmaker has an excellent DVD out called "Floor Bag Workout" which takes you through some good solo grappling and GnP drills. It's obviously not something you can use to replace actual grappling, but I've found some of the drills to be good additions to my ground game (mostly from a conditioning or strength standpoint, obviously)

15. Ero-Sennin

Finally, my routine . . . .

Alright, I've finally put together what I think will be my routine for at least the first semester of college. Some of the exercises I made up a name for because I don't know the name for it but I will explain the movement the best I can, and I had to compromise some movements from the endurance program in the hammer down program due to lack of equipment but I tried to keep the general muscles invovled with the movement in the motion. So here goes . . . . .

Weight routine - Will consist of working out three days during the week. One day will focus more on upper body, another legs, and another full body. Also I am keeping to the concept in the hammer down program of moving fast as possible (without hurting myself of course : P) I will also be starting out with light/medium weights for the exercises and move up every week until I am where I need to be, then I'll work from there.

Upper body -

One arm dumbell bench press - 5X4
    One arm rows - 5X4
    One arm shoulder press - 5x4
    High pull (taking a curl bar and holding the grip close with my palms facing inwards, then raising my hands to my chin with my elbows pointing outwards.)
    5X4
    Lung jump (doing a lunge, then jumping up and landing in a lunge with legs in opposite positions, will start using weights in hands after a week)
    Plyometric jumps - 3X5

Lower body -

Deadlifts - 5X3
    Squats - 5X3
    Cleans - 3X5
    Squat jumps - 3X8 (no weight with these, just exploding from a squat, landing in a squat and exploding back up, may use weight vest after a while)

Pushup plyometrics - 3X10 (using a raised surface to jump up onto at the side, 5 on each side)

Curl shoulder press - 2x7 (taking two dumbells and curling them and continuing up with them into a shoulder press and back down.)

Full body -

Clean and Jerk - 3X5
    Deadlift jump - 3X5 (the exercise shown on the hammer down program, don't know if I'm calling it by the same name, I believe it is the first exercise on the list)
    Hang clean squat - 3X4 (also on the hammer down program, standing with barbell on back and squating down as I push the bar up so I am doing a hang clean in a way, and then standing back up and repeating.)

My schedule will look like this:

Mon - Fighting, Endurance workout, strength workout
    Tues - Fighting and work.
    Wed - Fighting, endurance workout, strength workout
    Thur - Fighting and work
    Friday - off
    Sat - Endurance workout, strength workout.
    Sun - off

My week has a high ammount of activity the first 4 days, a rest day, a medium intensity day, and another rest day.

So, does this sound ok? And for you pull up people . . . I know, you don't have to tell me. I'm going to suffer and not make the gains I could with pull ups :p

Edit - Endurance workout will be performed in the morning, strength routines at mid-day, and fighting at night time. I can't really do anything different due to fighting be scheduled in the later part of the day.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  16. Taliesin

Taliesin Valued Member

Heavy bags are good for practicing suplex's – they tend to be more durable than training partners :)

17. Ero-Sennin

I don't think I'll be doing much grappling with the punching bag : P.

18. Beowolf

Beowolf Valued Member

I'd stay away from one-arm rows. It's really hard to get a scapular retraction with them. Stick with good old best rows.

Unless you feel that you can conciously make an effort to retract scapularly of course :).

19. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

First off, here's what I want you to do... get your 5rm for all the 6 exercises and then read the stikcy here... Download the Bill Starr 5x5 spreadsheet and start from there.