Training Equipment at Home

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Sandninjer, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Does anyone use any training equipment at home to practice?

e.g., target dummy, heavy bag, reflex bag, tree, pets?

For example, a reflex bag for Daken Kihon, or practicing basic Bikenjutsu or Bojutsu patterns on it to feel some resistance on impact. Perhaps a heavy bag or target dummy to put some weight or resistance behind an Ura/Omote Shuto, Tsuki, Shikan-Ken, keri, etc. Anything, you name it, I'd like to hear it.

Let it be said that I'm not interested in the philosophy of why you do or don't think it's important to be practicing in such a way, so please refrain from turning this into a philosophical conversation as I do have my own instructors to speak to about such questions.

I'd like to keep this conversation strictly about if you use certain types of training equipment for practicing your Ninjutsu at home or not.

Thanks all,

2. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Heavy bag
    Double end bag
    Speed bag
    Wall bag
    Mook yan jong
    Ultra Kenpo Man dummy
    Archery targets
    Shuriken targets
    Needless to say, i like many tools.

3. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

A tree.

4. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

What kinds of drills do you typically perform on them? In regard to just Ninjutsu (not that I'm uninterested otherwise).

I'm assuming for shurikenjutsu and not your taijutsu :p

5. gapjumper

Atemi mostly.

For shuriken I use an straw mat or foam sheet rather than my poor tree.

6. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Conditioning in both cardio and the physical training itself requires some forearm and knuckle strengthening, like when using makiwara.
    The archery and shuriken targets are ofcourse to practice projectile aim.
    And since i build my own dummies i use my boken and tanto to target various points on my dummies in order to develop my speed, coordination, footwork, and quick efficient iaido type techniques.

7. TomD

TomD Valued Member

What I find very usefull (tip from my teacher) to train alignement and stances with weapons is to use a heavy fixed post or tree and perform simple blocks on them with bo and boken. Really helps improve how you handle weapons and with that it improves your overal kamae and alignment.

Regards, Tom.

8. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I would love to see pictures of some dummies you've built if you don't mind? If it's simple enough, I'd like to attempt to build one as well.

9. kevin g

kevin g Valued Member

A treadmill for cardio, a heavy bag for strikes (although I usually do Daken Kihon in mid-air, I sometimes want to strike something solid to develop boshi-ken, shikan-ken, chin-ken, shako-ken, etc), some old bamboo poles I gathered at a nearby park for light cutting, and that's about it. Sometimes I'll break down shipping boxes and hurl some shuriken at them in the backyard.

10. gapjumper

In mid-air?!?!

Levitation keiko!

11. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

When I did TKD first time around I made a striking target out of this heavy duty polystyrene type material from the warehouse I worked in at that time. I wish I could remember what I did with it.

12. gapjumper

Punched and kicked it?

:)

13. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

:p
    Well yes. What I meant was where I put it after I stopped doing TKD.

14. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I am glad no one has said 'pets' yet.

15. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Ninpo secrets, duh ;)