Training Energy?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by fightinchance, Feb 10, 2007.

1. fightinchance

fightinchance New Member

Does anyone have some good Diet advise for Training...I have lost a little too much weight in a short amount of time. I can definately feel the effect on my training. I would really appriciate any advise!

I would actually like to do some more intensive training and I will need some good tips. Protein shakes? Pasta? Help!

2. ember

ember Valued Member

Two things:

First, what do you eat now?

Second, you might also want to ask, (and maybe find better advice) in the "Health and Fitness" forum.

3. Ferran

Ferran Valued Member

It will sound kind of silly, be forewarned.

I weight, now, 55Kg, and it's a historical record. When I started KSW, after a couple of months, I became aware that I was sort of pushing the limit but that my diet was simply not up to that extra amount of energy. Since it's balanced and there was not much realistic way of changing it, I'm using a trick I've learned when trekking: Mars bars. They're easy to eat, have a fair amount of energy & protein... It's an extra that helps (you probably don't want to know my weight before that... and it was already a record, back then). I take them at a 1-1,5 hr training / bar rate as soon as possible (or, sometimes, before training).

4. fightinchance

fightinchance New Member

3 meal Balanced w/ fruits through out day and sometimes naughty treats.
    I have been trying to add extra protien.

Answer to Second, I'd prefer info from Kuk Sool Guru's as we are generaly training in the same way, and we are working for the same goals.

5. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

my advice to you would be to eat what you like, as long as you train hard you will burn off more calories than you consume. but try and stay on a lean meat style intake (i.e, white meat not red) and pick grilled over fried. but thats about it for my diet. works well for me :)

6. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

increase to 6 meals a day and keep them healthy

7. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I was going to say the same thing: spread your meals out to 5-6 per day instead of just 3. Keeps your blood sugar at a more balanced level throughout the day. But it's not just that simple. :)

If you're losing weight, you're obviously burning off more calories than you're taking in. So if you're wanting to remain at a weight, need to take in what you're going to burn off (equalize); if you want to gain weight, gotta consume more than what you burn off. So, to do this math, you first need to know what your baseline is. Spend a week recording what you eat, how much of it you eat, and when you eat it. A week isn't a lot of data, but it'll be good enough to start with to give you a fair snapshot of your current dietary habit. After you have that record, figure out what your caloric intake is and what the breakdown is between protein, carbohydrates, and fats. You could also try to figure out how much weight you're losing in a week, as that may factor into how much you need to adjust to reverse your weight loss.

Once you get the math figured, a general guide of what you want to shoot for is about a 40/40/20 ratio of protein/carbohydrates/fat. Thus, 40% of your caloric intake from protein, 40% from carbs, and 20% from fat. That's a good ratio to start with, then as you progress along you'll figure out where and how you may need to adjust. So let's say you're currently taking in 2000 calories a day (and losing weight). You'd want about 800 calories each from protein and carbs (200 grams each), and about 400 cals from fats (about 45 grams). If that's causing you to lose weight, you just have to increase the overall caloric intake from there. If you don't have a hard number to go for, just try jacking it up by say 500 calories. So here you'd have 2500 cals total, broken to 1000 cals each from p & c (250g), and 500 cals from fat (about 55g). Really, 500 cals isn't too hard to come by... it'd basically be a small meal.... you'll get a handle on it as you examine your weeks worth of dietary info. Stay on that increased level for a few weeks and see how you fare in terms of change in your weight. After those few weeks, continue to adjust upwards or downwards until you hit the stride that you like.

Now if you're eating "that much", that's where spreading out to 5-6 meals a day works a lot better. And they don't always have to be full-on meals. You could still have a traditional meal 3x a day but then between the meals you have some sort of snack, like cottage cheese, nuts (mindful of fat impact here), beef jerky, protein shakes, whatever works. It's not so much to think of the stereotypical meal as just ensuring you're getting your complete dietary needs met in a day. And having a Mars bar? Not the worst thing in the world... a bit of sugar before a workout, it has peanuts, and besides... too strict a diet tends to drive folks crazy. In the end as long as you're overall plan is good and working, that's fine. You're not a competition body builder or anything like that. You have to find what works for you and works in way that allows you to stick with it.

I'm no dietician, I'm no expert on this, but this is some good basic and general rules. I'll echo emberKSW's remarks about the "Health and Fitness" section here... browse it fully as there's good helps in there too. Diet isn't unique to Kuk Sool. :)

8. fightinchance

fightinchance New Member

Thanks All for the advice.
    I'm definately trying the Mars bar before my next test, I'll need an extra boost.

Thanks!

9. ember

ember Valued Member

COC's got some great information, I'd second most of that.

Here's a website I've used in my weight loss goals. It won't let you go above 20% calories from protein, so it doesn't quite match COC's recommendations, but it should give you an idea of what to look for in your diet.

http://www.dietitian.com/ibw/ibw.html

Another thing I would recommend is combining protien with a complex carbohydrate at each meal and snack. For example, peanut butter on whole-grain bread. The carbohydrates give you quick energy, the protein helps the energy last. This'll also help even out your blood sugar.

With your carbs, try to keep most of them healthy. Whole-grains, fruits, vegetables. The occasional Mars bar in combination with a healthy general diet will probably be fine.

10. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Not sure if anyone has said it, I know it is probobly implied, but NO FAST FOOD, and NO SODAS.

Stay away from refined sugars, or atleast cut down on them. Also aviod "high fructose corn syrup" like the plague, (its the sweetener in most Sodas, artifical syrup, and many more things). The body cant break the fructose down, so the "fats" in it, pretty much go directly into your bloodstream. Its one of the main causes of blockages. It also drains your body of energy, bc the body is trying to break down the fructose, but it cant, wasting energy.

Eat what you like, just be mindful of how much you eat it, and when you eat it.

All the moms in the world are going "I told you so", because breakfest is the most important meal, also it should be the largest, calorie wise. Also your meals should be able to fit in the palm of your hand. The body can only absorb 200-300 calories per sit down, this is why you should eat often, but light. Your energy will increase, when your metabolism increases.

11. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I should say that NONE of this is hard in stone. It's really just a good starting point. Go with this, and take your time. Start collecting data, then aim for some general guides, like I mentioned. Stick with that for a while (month?) and see what the results are. Then adjust accordingly given your responses and training goals. Stick with that adjustment for a while (month?), see how you do. Adjust again, and keep repeating that cycle until you find what works. And I'd recommend only changing one thing at a time (or as few things as possible) so you can better narrow down the "cause" of any "effects". So something like that 40/40/20 ratio is a good place to start (it's frequently used by bodybuilders in the offseason, and they are a group that must pay strict attention to diet), but if you find your body and goals call for adjustment, by all means do so until you find what works for you.

12. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I don't know about that. I think it's a bad thing to say "never" and "ever" and take things to extremes. One, to go from eating McDonald's every day to cold turkey none is quite a shock to the system and not only could your body physical reject it, mentally and emotionally it's quite a leap and you could relapse and just give up on the whole effort.

Two, all fast food isn't evil, you just have to be mindful of what you take in. If they put mayo on it, ask them to prepare without mayo; mayo is nothing but delicious fat, and that massive dollop they put on there is going to nail you for maybe 200 calories right there... same with cheese. I mean, sometimes you have to eat and fast food is all that's available, so you just have to make smarter choices. I've read road stories from pro wrestlers (people that tend to care about their diets, workouts, physiques) where they had no choice but to go to a fast food joint. They would buy two grilled chicken sandwiches, plain and dry, eat the chicken, maybe one bun and throw away the other. Or maybe all they could find was a gas station convenience store, so they'd get a packet of dry roasted nuts, a gallon of skim milk, and there you go. It wasn't ideal, but they were able to make the best of the situation.

Three, most fast food isn't flat out evil. I mean, if you had hamburgers all day made a home, that's just as bad. Fast food is an easy target. But look at many sit-down restaurants and their huge portions and our "clean your plate" mentality. In the end, it's not about mindlessly shoving the food into your mouth. It's about being aware of all that's going into your body and ensuring you just put the right things in. If it breaks social convention to not eat all that you were given, to eat it differently, or whatever, then do that.

Soda tho... yeah, that's nothing but empty calories. If you want one now and again that's fine. But realize that it's all simple sugar, any caffeine will act as a diuretic, and those calories will still count against your total caloric intake for the day. And when you take those calories in, you get nothing else (vitamins, minerals, etc.)... other than burping. :)

I mean beer isn't a health food drink, but I'm not going to stop drinking one now and again. :D

Amen to that. High fructose corn syrup is rather evil. It's inexpensive, thus why it gets used so much. The other day I was grocery shopping with the wife and was picking out a fun cereal for the kids. I first picked up the store's knock-off brand because it was less expensive, but then I read the ingredients and HFCS was in it. I picked up the name brand and it was just plain old sugar. Tho more expensive, I bought the name brand... plain old "natural" sugar sits a lot better with me than HFCS, NutraSweet, aspartame, Splenda, and all that rot.

Like the old maxim goes.... all things in moderation, nothing in excess. It's a good rule here.

Exactly.

Yup. It does seem to hold that you should really fire up with those morning meals and taper down throughout the day. One special consideration tho is when you do your training. If you're like most of us, you have class and/or workout in the evening. While you shouldn't have a huge post-workout meal, you should ensure whatever you do have post-workout is something that replaces and rebuilds. You want to replace energy stores that were burned off, so immediately after some quick sugar can be good (but not too much) but also have some complex carbs so that you don't have a spike in your blood sugar levels and you extend the replenishment. You also want to get some protein in so your muscles can rebuild. Often a good solution to the post-workout "meal" is having a protein shake. For instance, some whey protein powder (pure whey, not some "weight gainer" powder that has other crud mixed in, like maltodextrin), with a bit of peanut butter and frozen fruit mixed up in the blender can work well here.

13. fightinchance

fightinchance New Member

I agree that the time of my work outs has played a significant part in my diet. I tend to work out right after lunch or right after dinner. I have noticed that I tend to eat less on those days as I'm worried about eating too close to the "work out". A Protein Shake is a great idea, and hopefully a good solution.

Thank you so much all of you. So many great ideas and advice. Kuk Sool has been great for me. I have been involved in Track and Feild, Volleyball, Basketball, Softball and Asst. Coached a Cross Country team. I'm telling you all I had to do before was eat pasta the night before a meet or a game. Not anymore. (I might be getting old) :cry:

Thank you!

14. OKKimChi

OKKimChi New Member

hehe . cool well if it was me energy is a lot of food. and like 1 hour break time and then training . cuss im kinda like skin and bones so i need a lot of meet on me. :) its true to

15. Ferran

Ferran Valued Member

Might be. Also, MAs do ask something more than simple energy. There's some extra body conditioning going on, there, even when you have advanced some belts and the early stages are gone.

Also, you're getting 'older' headaches, probably. Work, family... Don't think for a minute it does not add up.

16. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

I eat spaghetti about 2 hours before I train. I'm not 100% sure that this is actually helpful, but I feel pretty good when I do it. It kind of gets me in the mood, like I'm taking an extra step to make it serious. Since I make it myself, I can increase the amount to keep up with my needs. When I got to Houston about 1.5 months ago, I was so Kuk Sool deprived that I trained over three straight weeks without missing a day.

I think my record is pasta everyday for about 25 or so days. Its not about liking spaghetti, its about not liking all food almost equally.

Sometimes I feel funny when i wake up early on Saturdays so I can make a pot before my class, but I get over it.