Training Day - Anton St James - Plymouth

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Melanie, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Last weekend I was offered the opportunity to train with Anton St James of the Barong Institute, see their website at: http://www.baronginstitute.com/aboutus/aboutus.html

After a 4.5 journey we managed to squeeze two hours out of Tony when we arrived. Once again it has to be noted just how patient Tony is. I was training with himself and another blackbelt and brown belt - yet I still managed to understand what was going on!

We started on sambrada, 3 and 5 beat. Initially single stick and then moved on to double stick. I was corrected for the direction of my strikes, as the strike to the waist area was going a little astray - but I did improve. I have never done double stick sambrada before and found that when I didn't require the second stick to strike at someones hand - it kinda just floated mid air next to me...must work on this a bit I think!!

Destructive blocking was covered as well. Although my destructive blocking was comnsiderably more destructive than anybody elses...I hear Yoda..."You must learn control Padawan!!"

Gunting exercises were covered in all forms for about an hour including all the basic guntings and the same vs jab/cross and front kick. Timing, direction and listening to the instructions fired out were essential and I found this fairly anarobic.

I have to admit this time training with Tony went very fast as well and we didn't get to cover as much as we would have liked. I intend to go back in the New Year though - hopefully with better control of my double stick!

Please do check out the website and if you ever pass through Plymouth, please don't hesitate to call the club and make yourself known!

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi Mel

Sounds like you had a good time :D

I've never met Anton but have met Tony - seems like a real nice guy too.

3. stump

stump Supersub

Hi Yoda,

same guy!!! He's my escrima instructor, and have to agree. He's a top notch guy and excellent escrimador

4. YODA

Same guy? You mean Anton & Tony?

The Tony I met was NOT Anton - he was errr...... Tony :D

5. stump

stump Supersub

Anton...short for Antony........also shortens to .....

...Tony

Trust me on this one :p

His proper name is Anton but he goes by Tony

unless it's somebody else of course!!

6. YODA

Yes - it's someone else...

Tony Davis ..... 2nd from left...

[​IMG]

7. stump

stump Supersub

DOH!!!

Aha sorry, the penny drops finally.

SOrry mate forgot about Tony Davies, a good bloke too. Tony (anton) is the senior instructor of the group.