Training around an injury?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by uglylittlespud, Feb 18, 2015.

1. uglylittlespud

uglylittlespud New Member

Hi all,
    I used to train in ITF TKD for a number of years, but sadly had to stop after sustaining a hip flexor injury which 13 years on still seizes up and gets uncomfortable.

I really would like to get back to training again, especially since there's a class 6mins drive from my door.

Any advice on how to train around an injury? Or should I just not bother with TKD and try a different art? There's a pretty good Wing Chun school nearby...

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Did you ever get the injury looked at properly?

3. uglylittlespud

I had an x-ray to determine whether it was a bone injury, but it wasn't. There was nothing much done beyond that as it was deemed to be a muscular issue, and my GP (at the time) wasn't particularly forthcoming about treatment. Maybe I should start there, get the GP to check it out again.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Have you ever really tried to improve your hip mobility? Lots of people just accept that they are injured without ever really trying to treat it.

Go to a licensed physio. They'll be able to tell you a lot more, a lot faster than a GP will.

5. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

My reccomendation is that when there is an issue focus on full range of motion to the greates extent possible as opposed to max power and speed.

Since many of us are type "A" personalities when returning from an injury follow the 50% rule. whatever you think you can do, do 50% of the intensity. See how you feel the next day and if it's fine go to 60% etc. Too often people return, go full bore and reinjure themselves.

6. uglylittlespud

Beyond basic stretching no, and I've never had physio. Might be something to look into locally.

7. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Great advice from all:
    - Get the issue reevaluated so you know exactly what is wrong. That helps establish a treatment.
    - For sports related injuries I highly recommend going to the blokes that the deal with sports injuries. My family has sports orthopedists in our medical plan. These gents deal with the major league baseball teams that come here for spring training and our local junior hockey league.
    -Rehabilitation centers that deal with sports injuries are excellent. My son had 2 knee caps repaired and the rehab he received was top notch.

All of the above will help you figure out the injury and what, if any, limitations you may have. Be smart. Best of luck.

8. uglylittlespud

Thanks to everyone who responded. I think the next step is pretty clear!! Know the problem first.. :)