Training after surgery

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Acekicken, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Training after Surgery. Well it's been a month since I went
    Under The Blade to repair My Leg. IM starting to train again
    But finding out real Ouick That My leg just don't work the way
    They did before the Surgery.

Besides Being Rusty I just don't have the Leg Strenght to do
    Sweeps or My Jujigatme. My stand up is very rusty were working on just Boxing at the moment. Yesterday I went for a Triangel Choke But When
    My Legs Lock I felt some Pain & was unable to Sucure the Submisson.

Has any one else gone through This
    & if so how long was it before U were able to perform at
    your normal Best????? :confused:

2. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

Still there man. Had my appendix out at the end of August and have been unable to train since, recently came down with gastric flu as well :( (Triffic..). It really surprised me how much the surgery took it out of me, even after I felt fine I got tired quickly and my strength and stamina was non-existant. Take it easy, your body will tell you what it's prepared to do. Listen to it. It'll take as long as it takes. Sorry, maybe not very helpful.... :rolleyes:

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

As im sure you know, it's always best to take it easy, there's no point making the injury worse.

What exactly did you do to your leg? Damage a knee ligament or something?

4. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I'm not sure what type of surgery you had but you can't expect it to be back to normal that quickly. Frankly, depending on what the injury was it may never be 'exactly' like it was.

I am almost two years post-op (Dec.12 will be two years) and my knee still is not 100%. They told me it can take up to two years, and perhaps more for me to know exactly what the result will be.

So hang in there. Find a good sports physiotherapist. They will get you on a SAFE, progressive workout that will strengthen your knee and help you get back what you have lost.

All the best.:)

5. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

I wouldn't be too worried about training after surgery. But training after Thanksgiving dinner... now that's a whole different ball park! :D :love: :rolleyes:

6. veer

veer New Member

After having an ACL reconstruction w/some bone scarring issues, it took 14 months of rehab before I was able to jog again. It took another year of weight training before I could physically push myself again. I've broken my ribs, wrists, left arm, lower left leg, left ankle, fingers, toes, and cheek bone before, yet nothing prepared me for my knee injury.

All injuries vary and everyone heals at a different rate. Take your time with your recovery and listen to your body. Good luck with your recovery!

7. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

I had knee surgery in February this year. My doctor told me that it would take 6 months for me to recover.

I saw several doctors and decided to go ahead with one of them. He told me the right diagnosis and operated. Everything went fine.

The next step was to find a great therapist who is experienced with such/similar injuries. The first I found almost messed up my knee, but fortunately I stood up and simply left the therapy session and found another therapist who did great work with my knee.

The next step is rehabilitation. I went to the best gym in the city and talked to the owner, explained to him my entire situation and he made an exercise program for me. As time went by, he changed/adapted the programs.

After 6 months I was as good as new. I have to say that all of those 6 months I exercised really hard every day and I always followed my doctor's orders.

When I started walking faster, going up and down the stairs without crutches, i had a weird feeling in my knee. I'm sure everyone goes through that after surgery. In my case, the operated knee had to adjust to the new situation, so after a while everything was ok. I train again and want to compete as well.

It is difficult to recover from surgery and be motivated every minute of the way, but if you want to train again, you just have to find the strength. I read books/magazines about martial arts. I watched movies, videos of competitions....

So, don't do anything yourself if you are not qualified. Find a good doctor and discuss your recovery with him/her. There is no other way.

Hope you heal well and soon :)

8. Acekicken

I was training for my 4th MMA Fight & My 2nd Title defence.

I ripped My kneecap off & tore my Maniscus.
    When They scoped my knee I had 3 have 3/4 of the Meniscus Removed
    The kneecap had to be cut away Scrped underneath & put back in place.
    They ulse Removed 3 Bands of Soft Tissue.(Like Falying a Fish)

I wish I had a Great Story But I was strething My Leg out While in my training partners Guard cuse it was Cramped & it Poped. The Maniscus was something That was found after the MRI. The Soft Tissue Damage was working it's way Under the knee cap.

9. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

Ouch! I hope you get better quickly.

10. Acekicken

Me 2

:) Im about 20% & training as hard as I can