Training abroad

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by FunnyBadger, Oct 30, 2014.

1. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Hi there folks I am thinking about going on a martial arts holiday :) I have 2 months leave to use up by February and am shortly to be devoid of the wife (the D word not anything more sinister) so I want to treat my self. I'm currently investigating options so please feel free to throw your 2p in :)

I want to go somewhere hot and sunny and want to train in something full contact or a 'combative' style, I have about a month to 6 weeks and would like to spend as little as possible. That said I realise it's never going to be cheap but I'd like to make an effort.

The 2 options I have come up with are either Krav maga in Israel or Muay Thai in Thailand. Has any one been to any of these sorts of places? Is the training worth the trip or do tourists just get fleeced?

The other option I figure is to just train full time in the UK at a full time academy/dojo somewhere (I will be effectively homeless so location isn't as important as the quality of the training and the cost) but short term renting + food etc will not be cheap so cost wise not a huge difference from going abroad a cording to my rough calculations.

Cheers for any help you can provide :)

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

In your shoes I'd do MT in Thailand and wouldn't even consider Krav.

As an alternative I'd look to FMA and try something there instead or karate in Japan/America. Enshin in America for example.

I know the karate styles often have live in student opportunities, but I don't know about the others.

Mitch

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The difficulty is you want hot and sunny in February, which pretty much means Muay Thai in Thailand or MMA in California.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

or brazil for something like vale tudo or bjj. but you'll basically roast there in february, if the october temperatures here in argentina are any indication :p

5. FunnyBadger

I'm pretty open to travelling and quite happy to roast in the sun :) any links to a good vale tudo/bjj school in Brazil or MMA school in the us would be awesome if you know of anywhere.

I did find a link to a very cool looking escrima place in the phillipines, going on the short list for sure, thanks Mitch for pointing me that way :)

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

That's...a unique context for the term.

Sounds like unrepentant New York... " Hey, youse know Harry, dontcha? Well he' got de-voit from Marge last month!" lol

7. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Definitely MT in Thailand. Where are you considering going to in Thailand. I have a few camps I can recommend but it depends on whether you're looking at Bangkok or Phuket.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

A few of my friends went to Tiger Mauy Thai, the have top level Thai and BJJ!

9. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

I've been to Tiger before. They are awesome. There are a couple of great gyms in Chiang Mai as well. It all depends on what you want. Phuket gives you access to quite a bit more then Chiang Mai in terms of shopping, restaurants and socialization. Chiang Mai is lovely but a bit more isolated. Ironically, Tiger is constructing a gym in Chiang Mai because they know that this is where the serious people want to go because there are fewer distractions.

10. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

^Same^

http://www.tigermuaythai.com/muay-thai-camp-accommodation.html

Looked in to it myself previously - You can book in to a beginners Muay Thai camp, with Classes morning and afternoon, Monday to Saturday, including accommodation and meals, for around 38,000 baht (£750) for the whole month.

Regards,

Travess

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

At least in Thailand you won't be living in fear of having a Hamas rocket dropped on your head.

12. FunnyBadger

Tiger Muay thai is the first place I found, does look awesome but was wondering if it lived up to the hype/advertising. Seemingly it does so pretty confident that's what will go for :) I'm not all that bothered about shopping or nightlife, neither is a big part of my lifestyle but I would like to go somewhere new, I've been to Bangkok (hated it), Chang Mai (loved it) and Ko Samui (again loved it) so Phuket would be awesome :)

Avoiding a Hamas rocket strike is a secondary bonus :)

Cheers folks.

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I have plans to go to Tiger MT at some point as well, as many of my friends and trainer also went there.
    Downside I was told that it can get quite busy but it should be ok.

I trained at AKA in San Jose , California and paid $25 per days training (guest rates). Thats around 8hrs of top level training. And you can watch the Pros train as well (no video/photo allowed). They were really nice folk too.

But that is also the kind of place where you really need a car...public transport there is non existent.

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Heard great things about tiger Muay Thai in Thailand and food and rent are incredibly cheap there

16. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's not really a choice is it. Muay Thai!

17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Alternatively I you want more adventure but only Muay Thai - ao nang stadium, krabi in Thailand. they train 3 times a day with mostly local Thai fighters, rent is cheap and the area has amazing kayaking and beaches better than koh samui

If I was to go on a training holiday or any holiday I'd go back there

18. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Jeez...I don't believe in making bucket lists personally, but if I did, that would be on there. That's too good to pass up.

Though the place Zaad mentioned also sounds amazing.

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ive spent a month In hawaii, lived in a really nice hostel, trained twice a day and spent less then a grand (this was ten odd years ago) definatly worth looked Into.

San diago has a tonne of fulltime bjj and mma places, as does NYC.

Ive heard good things about tiger MT too.

20. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Master Toddy is in Bangkok too. I don't know if he lives up to all the hype but I have heard a lot of good things about him. On the downside, Bangkok is pretty crowded and not nearly as open and clean as Phuket or Chiang Mai.