Training 7 Days per week. Good or bad ?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by MindTricks, Mar 15, 2013.

1. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

Wondering how important that rest day ?

This is my current work out route

Mon - Gym
    Tu - Thai Boxing
    Wed - Gym
    Th - Thai Boxing
    Fri - Gym
    Sat - circuit training
    Sun - rest

I have to do more thai boxing lessons from now and i dont want to skip gym and circuit training

so heres my new route that i want to do

Mon - Gym
    Tu - Thai Boxing
    Wed - Thai Boxing
    Th - Thai Boxing
    Fri - Gym
    Sat - circuit training
    Sun - Gym

whats your thoughts ? you think its good idea or bad ?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's bad.

A well planned workout sholuld include at least one rest day.

It's a very fine line before you start overtraining and once that starts the gains stop.

Keep the rest day.

3. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

what if i work out twice in one day on sat ? my circuit training in the morning so i can hit the gym in the eve for example

or thats still over training and will block my gains ?

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you can do your current schedule (never mind the crazy proposed one), then you aint training hard enough.

5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

i thought cardio should be after weights (at least when done in the same session, i don't know if there is any effect of them split on the same day)

i have done this before tho it was hard going - weights 12.30-2 judo 4.30-7

i'd as much question the merit of doing the same MA for 3 consecutive days, particularly a full contact style like MT

6. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

i didnt think it would be so complicated...ill just have a word with my Gym trainer, he is professional personal trainer at the gym. See what he suggest

thx for your replies

7. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

What is the purpose of your circuit training?

You can get big and/or strong in 3 days a week in the gym.

That leaves 3 days for thai and a day off if you ditched the circuits.

Even that may be too much, if not you need to lift heavier and train harder at thai.

8. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

i am just enjoying xD plus its just very good work out in general and i always thought its a good way get ripped

but you got me thinking... i may scratch it. If ill be doing extra MT lessons that should cover it

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

In this instance less is definately more.

Intensity is the key. Get in the gym, work hard and get out.

Gains are made when you are resting, and then only if you are eating well and getting the correct amount of sleep.

10. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

i used to do my weight training at an MMA gym with Muay Thai, BJJ and MMA classes throughout the evening. only saw a few of the guys doing weights on their non training days or a quick 30 mins before or after class. they weren't necessarily the top fighters though, so i don't think it was essential to becoming a better fighter. it depends what your overall plans are? i hate breaking routine, but need to balance the quality of my efforts over the quantity

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

your willing to train 7 days a week but not to do more than one session in a day ?

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

What is your gym workout and circuit training workout?

13. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

i am whiling to train more then ones a day but i dont have time for it coz of work

atm its

i start with 30 min run and sometimes finish with some abs
    legs / chest
    back / shoulders
    shoulders / chest

and circuit is 1 hour of non stop exercises like lunges, sit ups, burpees etc... every day is different but similar drills

@
    Simon i get a lot of sleep 7-8 hours per night and sometimes with 1 hour naps and i eat pretty well ( should eat more tho )

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  14. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

If you don't get some definite answers from the trainer at your gym, just do it. If what you're doing burns you out, you'll know it. There are plenty of people who do vigorous training 7 days a week with minimal sleep (special forces in the military for example) for extended periods of time and are way up there in physical ability. There are standards though (mentioned in the thread already) that apply to the majority of the population.

You'll figure it out in about a week : P.

15. rowland templar

rowland templar New Member

Slightly different tack here... is it sustainable over the long term? That's something which I'd look at very closely. Rest days, from anything, are important; 'weekends' and official holidays from work come to mind.

My guess is that at some point in the future you'll skip the odd session just because you need the freedom to live; it'll probably all be down hill from then on.

edit: Ero-Sennin got there before me!

16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I would go with Simon and say stick with the rest day. I sometimes have to a do a double training day due to my work schedule but I would still have 1 or 2 rest days.

17. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

When I first started doing Muay Thai years ago. I used to train 6 days a week. Oftentimes I'd train Weights before a Muay Thai class (yes I know...)

Looking back my schedule was:

Monday: Weights

Tuesday: Muay Thai (Mostly Bagwork, Gymwork, Conditioning etc)

Wednesday: Weights

Thursday: Muay Thai (Mostly Technique, Sparring, Padwork)

Friday: Muay Thai (training with partners outside class)

Saturday: Sometimes rest, Sometimes Weights

Sunday: Sometimes Weights, then Muay Thai (Mostly Padwork, Sparring etc)

In the lead up to a fight I would change it to Muay Thai 6 days a week. Often doing Weights in the AM and Muay Thai in the PM.

I could manage it. Because my diet was good. I took a lot of quality supplements. And I got as much rest as poss.

But! I decided to drop at least 1 of the weights sessions. And guess what?
    I got stronger. In fact I dropped the weights to once in 5 days. And I got stronger again.

My point? Most martial artists don't need to train weights anywhere near as much as they think they do.

You're doing an interesting experiment with yourself though. JUst listen to your body...And make sure you take a lot of Omega 3's, Zinc, Boron, Magnesium and Potassium (a good Silica Complex multi-mineral helps) etc.

Also - you may be already - look into Creatine and better yet D-Ribose which is about the best thing for fairly hardcore training (replaces your ATP use use as primary fuel).

Good Luck

18. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

i would ditch the circuits, they dont acheive anything that the strength work and muay thai wont between them. if you find yourself lacking add in some met con after lifting, i like interval runs or kettle bell work.

as far as getting 'ripped' your diet does that, not two hours of circuits a week.

i train 7-12 times a week, but i make sure on a sunday i do nothing more challenging than a gentle jog and some foam rolling. i also use it as an oppertunity to eat atleast 2 cheese cakes but i doubt thats relivent.

also i dont know what program you are on but judging by the split you provided it is likley hopless for improving your performance in muay thai, it looks more to be a bodybuilding split. and not a very good one at that. reduce your volume by not doing splits, squat push and pull then leave the gym repeat 2 or 3 times a week, you'll be stronger, look better and have way more time outside of the gym.

no way in hell do i need to train as much or the way i do, the reason i do i because i enjoy it and i'm young and stupid, plus i like to prove that i havent died of overtraining. basically i like to pretend i'm a lanky jamie lewis.

but this is pretty much how i roll:

monday AM: upper (horizontal focus) monday PM: boxing and MMA
    tuesday AM: yoga, foam roll and recovery stuff Tuesday PM: lower (backsquat focus)
    wedneday AM upper (strict press and vanity focus) PM boxing and MMA
    thursday AM: yoga and revovery stuff PM: deadlift and shrugs
    friday AM extra bag work or intevals PM BTN jerks for an hour
    sat AM front squat
    sun AM cheese cake PM cheese cake

its a lot of volume and probably hugely unessisary but it keeps me happy.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  19. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I think I might be inviting myself round to yours on Sundays, Steve! :D

Cheesecake! Om, Nom, Nom! :D

20. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

always welcome Frodo!

just gotten a new job where i' back cooking again 'cept I've got to do way more pastries and deserts than ever, i'm really rusty so practicing all the time, we have more cakes, pastries and scones in the cupboard than we've a clue what to do with!

also just taken some choc and peanut butter coconut flower cookies out the oven to cool, if you hurry they might still be warm...