Traditional vs Modern MAs

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sandninjer, Nov 18, 2013.

1. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

I use MAP to practice my slaptalk. Mostly talking complete crap.

But you may have already noticed that...

(you didn't ALL need to nod your heads at the same time!) :p

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

You hit him back, I hope

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i tried to. but that just made him mad and he liver-shot me. that was the second unpleasant experience of the day.

i'm better at boxing now and the aforementioned 50-year-old has become a great friend.

4. belltoller

No better way to test oneself for an agraphic disorder ( or just how thick one sounds ) than to go back after a couple of days and read one's own post

5. belltoller

Funny, how that works, innit? Best hidin's always came from the best sorts.

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't tell you how many times I've face palmed myself reading old posts, or reading old things I've written. :p

7. belltoller

LOL,,, that's why, when I'm feeling especially masochistic, I spend a few reading my posts in context to the given thread...

" what the ' almighty 'ell was that mindless twit going on about?"

Oh, that was my post ... :vanish:

8. Ero-Sennin

When I got out of the military a year and some change ago I really dug into the MAP archives (of which there is no longer a link to, so now I have to use the search function with expertise) and read a lot of the things I posted under the username Sparkle. It was kind of a "finding myself" exercise, finding out what my interests before the military were and stuff because I was having a hard time with getting out and finding employment.

I think I turned red in embarrassment a few times, I wanted to go back and kick myself in the teeth a few more times than I blushed, and wondered why I wasn't permabanned about 50 times. It was a real eye opener. :p

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  9. belltoller

Literally, a different man that came back...

The one's that do well, adjust, go on to better things, accept that they are not, nor can ever be, who they were before. Anymore than one can go back to Primary school and sit in the little chair.

Anyroads..."Sparkle" lol... hmmm...that's what radiowaves bouncing off the ionosphere do, then. You must've gotten a COM rating when you went in.

I suppose it better 'n "Crackle" or "Pop n Hiss" LOL

10. Ero-Sennin

I actually got called "Creep" the entire time in. Took me a long time to adjust to being called by my real name when I got out! I used to do things like creep up behind somebody while they were talking then start sniffing them, or just stare at somebody until they looked at me then smiled real big with my teeth, hence the nickname along with people not being able to say my last name ("creep" being a common mispronunciation of the first half of my last name).

It kinda' worked out well when I got in the sniper platoon though, since you do a lot of creeping around. :p

11. belltoller

Mate, the "Highly Skilled Peeper" had you pegged for a heavily-wired spook tapping burst-trx's up in the clouds. LOL.

Now, I really wanna be outta your sight(s)!

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

If you can look back and not find a big chunk of your past embarrassing then you haven't learnt enough or didn't have enough fun :)

MItch

13. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

I think there is only what's effective and what's not effective. It doesn't matter what area of history or by who.
    It's the people that don't fight or compete thAt get obsessed with traditional or modern or whatever that I think overcomplicate it. Some of these "masters" from the past who actuAlly fought in competative fights or challenges probably would not want to be associated with alot of the misinterpretation of traditionalists.