Traditional vs Modern MAs

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sandninjer, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Yes, much of his game was focused on leg pickups, and follow ups from failed leg pickups, if you take that away, he's had to drastically change his fighting style, which whilst continuously competing at international events, could be slightly erksome at least.

Edit - there's some confusion here, I'm saying the narrowing of judo ruleset has also narrowed its practicality, and also impacted some of its high level competitors, I'm not talking about cross training, I mean for the pure judoka.

Edit no2, he also trains in bjj recreationally and occasionally competes, and he still uses his pickups then.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He is the kind of fighter the IJF were targeting with the rule change. It sucks for him, but it has made the sport a lot more fun to watch.
    I'm not sure when anyone said anything contrary to that, but bear in mind that the rule changes were supposed to impact its highest level competitors. It had nothing to do with grass roots judo.

3. dumbbellclean

dumbbellclean Valued Member

My MA History is not so much up to scratch (except for Karate. I could discuss a few points here).

I do not remember exactly where I read this, but the small Islands that got attacked during WW1 and WW2, and which are currently being exploited have undergone serious transformation because of the "war" you are talking about.

Well, that is obviously because they do not have enough land to escape.

And this is one of the reasons why Okinawa breed one of the meanest forms of MA.

A bit on that, basically China (and Japan and Korea) liked to train their gangsters (I mean body guards) in Okinawa, because the Kings had gone through so much war, but were so determined to be Sovereign. They won their Sovereignty (so to speak - they still slaves to China-Korea-Japan, another topic.)

I have failed to start my response properly, by not defining what Traditional and Modern mean.

Modern is, of course, the latest research into an area of MA. Traditional is the old stuff, however. In defense of the old stuff.

Have you noticed how Decadent Tight-Clothes Wearing Slob Cultures makes just about everyone into useless over-offensive self-absorbed slobs? Sorry to say, hey - but you just have to be honest sometimes. The current state of humanity borders somewhere on suicidal. Anyway.

Just because the Modern Research uses Technology, does not mean that the ones with the technology will have the brains to use it.

In other words, for some, Traditional Style Fighting is better. Or rather, Freestyle fighting is better. That is what this is all about isn't it, after all?

This isn't about Traditional. This is about people who refuse to bow and bend over and kiss someone's backside in the dojo. Again, I'm just being completely broad-minded here.

Traditionals and Freestyle Fighters tend to find the whole dojo thing abhorrent.

I heard one guy say that there is absolutely nothing manly about a man who almost worships another potentially suicidal human being.

In other words, again, Free Stylers just don't like the dojo. Religiously it's way too closed minded. People are very, very offended by alternative worldviews. You have to be Buddhist or Hindu in some way or another. You have to practice Chi and Magic and God knows what else.

Dojo guys ang gals, on the other side - I've found tend to have very little time to conduct their own research and read... dojo is the only way for them. They can just suck and absorb everything some dude tells them. Some people think that is very lazy and taking the shortcut, because back in the day...

Guess what??? People used to travel like a hundred miles and pay an arm and a leg for MA training. And frankly since we live in the 21st century where The Power of Choice is supposed to be the motto of man.... people still choose to be adamant about being mindless irritating zombies.

Finding sparring partners is a lot easier in a gym-style environment, in defense of Modern style fighting.

I want to end this off with the fair point that both Tradition and Modern have fused together in what we call MMA. It's actually basically just MA. People call it MMA, unknowingly, because 21st century practitioners are trying to communicate to the average brain dead sucking anything through his/her ears decadent sycophant - that they need to actually, literally be critically minded. This is the 21st century. If someone tells you to go jump off a cliff, you don't do it. If someone tells you to punch a certain way, you first research and see if it won't damage your spine. As nice as some people may think their mentors are in life, some people will never get the point that people are people. And people make mistakes. And also, people are prone to manipulating and abusing the people especially close to them. Food for thought.

MA was created to defend and not attack. Punch to Kill is not a motto, it's a distortion. If men spent more time talking truth, instead of trying to impress everyone and get angry when they get talked to like a real man should, we'd have less war, less crime, more heros, more cool, and more people with brains.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Can I just say....... Eh?

5. dumbbellclean

dumbbellclean Valued Member

Read it again.
    You can do it Johnny.
    Joke

Anyway. I gtg cheers man.

6. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

He also thinks Hitler was a communist and in league with extinct flightless birds.

Does that help?

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I actually followed that, minus the odd side track, and feel very pleased with myself.

Anyway I take issue with this end bit

I'm not going to get into some giant philosophical point about how mankind could be better if we did...something...but martial arts were almost certainly designed to attack. Purely by definition a martial art is a system of techniques designed to inflict harm upon another human being. That's a pretty aggressive thing to have.

8. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Buy yourself a drink and send me the bill; I'll reimburse you.

9. Southpaw535

Cheers!

I might have got it completely wrong mind you. I took it as a very jumpy way of saying that "traditional" schools (dojos, bowing, sensei labels etc) are too dogmatic and the emphasis on obedience to your instructor lends itself to being taught rubbish because its less open to being challenged by a student. Modern arts on the other hand are more based on practice with mma being a great thing because people, rather than accept what some old dude in a black belt said, tested things themselves and found the most efficient way of doing things.

And a bunch of random stuff that seemed out of place about religion and the consumerism and slothful nature of the modern man and modern society.

I think.

10. Rand86

I dunno, man, I read the first two sentences and then sat in a corner rocking back and forth for twenty minutes. I'll take your word for it, though. :D

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I read it, I followed it, I understood it...and it still made my happy dance sad :cry:

For some of us, no. Not at all. Practice of TMA's for a lot of us is more than just about the kicking and punching, though that's a fundamental part of a lot of practice.

That's not being broad minded. If the impression you get from dojo etiquette is that it's about "bending over" and "kissing someone's backside" in the first place, then I doubt either you ever understood it properly or someone really upset you and you're acting rather butt-hurt over it.

Oh good Lord...you and I are really going to get along very well, aren't we? I can tell. Best of buds.

:yeleyes:

...I have never seen anyone punch in such a way that it "damages the spine". Care to elaborate?

Please tell me you're joking on this.

Maybe, but surely it is the usage of those techniques that define the whether or not it is aggressive? For example, if I have a collection of weapons from different styles and eras in storage or on display, are they aggressive by themselves, or is it the person using them who is aggressive?

Admittedly I am dangerously close to pretending to have some inkling of how to debate a philosophical matter intellectually, so I should stop before I keel over from shock :p

12. gapjumper

Well I could have read it wrong:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074810823&postcount=65

The words communism and indiscriminately seem to have different meanings for some people I guess.

So I do hope he tells us about incorrect punching and spine damage!

I would love to see his shotokan training. Maybe the shotokan guys could offer advice to him.

Where is blackswordbilly when you need him?!

13. gapjumper

You see this point of view usually from people who have never even trained in a traditional art, in a traditional way.

YouTube, self-trained maybe?

14. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't even care about the traditional martial arts opinions. It's ok to form an opinion when you know nothing, believe it, and in time have that opinion steadily worked out of your head. That's just being hard headed, and any individual will learn the correct lessons if they throw themselves into the right environment. That usually doesn't happen over the internet on a forum.

What I can't get around is the pseudo esoteric rhetoric filled with references that wreak of triteness but are so obscure and irregular it's baffling to try and understand. Most of it doesn't even make sense; you have to draw your own conclusions with what he's trying to say and when you think you have it . . . . off on another irrelevant tangent. It's a nightmare to read through.

15. Southpaw535

You're collecting them for a passive role but the weapon itself is still designed to maim and kill another person. Hell I don't know about you but that's what draws my interest in them and I would assume most other peoples. There's an appreciation for their historical significance and for the forging methods that go into them, but I would think at the centre of interest in them is a morbid interest/fascination/whatever with the fact that they were instruments of war. An incredibly bloody, violent and personal form of war at that. Whether they're used for that purpose or not doesn't change that that is what they are fundamentally for. Just because I collect them rather than swing them at a peasant's head doesn't mean I can then state that swords weren't made for violence.

Plenty of martial artists train because its fun. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't change that what they're learning is how to hurt another person. If they use it that way or not is another matter but it doesn't change the purpose of martial arts existence.

That is a definitive statement that martial arts (and martial arts as a whole mind you which is a really awkward thing to state) were not designed to be used to hurt other people. Ok technically its saying they're for self defense but whatever. The point is that that's clearly not true. Whether someone uses them to that effect or not doesn't change that martial arts purpose, whatever extra stuff is added on to a system in terms of spirituality, discipline and tradition, has always been to inflict pain on someone else.

I don't know much about martial art history so maybe someone has better examples, but the oldest martial arts I know of are boxing, wrestling and pankration. I suppose the former two are older still since they're the instinctive forms of combat but hey. You can argue they weren't necessarily designed to kill, but their existence was still to attack and hurt another person. Wrestling was a sport with a wide range of reasons for using it but the sport itself was still the sport of slamming and hurting each other to the point of submission or domination. Boxing still existed as the sport of inflicting damage by punching someone etc etc.

I may have misunderstood what dumbellclean was driving at but my impression was that that line I quoted is stating that the idea we have today that martial arts are about fighting and violence is wrong and its a pet peeve of mine when people say that since its blatantly not true.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Honestly, I think you've already committed more thought to it than the poster himself did.

17. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometimes I only post a reply to see if I can articulately describe why something is disagreeable to see if I did it well enough that people agree and I didn't make myself out to be a complete asshat in the process. Bonus points if I did it well enough that the person changes their own opinion, or their rebuttal makes me change my mind.

Am I insecure?

I swear though, posting on MAP and trying to be somebody who posts in a comprehensible way, something I think is a general MAP standard that is championed for people to aspire to, is the reason I've never gotten a bad grade on an essay/paper in a scholastic environment at a college level. I feel an obligation to read the OP now though, because I've posted two off topic, nit picking posts about somebody's writing style and logical reasoning. :eek:

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Absolute bollocks

Crap troll is crap and probably about 2 days away from a perma ban

19. Rand86

Oh great, Doctor Lecter is on the case.

Who's on mop duty this week?

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nope. You're just well on your way to being a Liberal Arts major. ;)

I hear ya. I certainly use MAP as a place to practice my writing and reasoning skills. Mixed results, obviously. :D