Traditional vs Modern MAs

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sandninjer, Nov 18, 2013.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nah, I'd say that's true of FMA as well. Though, obviously, the emphasis is going to change from one group to another. Combat may be a general emphasis. But that's different from self-defense again.

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Even karate? As I understood it, some styles were developed specifically for self defense. :confused:

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Originally yes, and as with all sweeping statements someone will come poke holes in it sooner or later :D

The karate sparring I've had experience of does not have self defence as its raison d'etre. For all I know, styles such as goju may stay closer to their self defence origins, but I don't think the sparring reflects this and in any case I think they fall into the category of being taught to teach Goju Ryu.

Someone will now explain, in detail and with footnotes, exactly why I'm wrong :D

Mitch

4. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Mmmmm, footnotes. This academic awaits excitedly. :)

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Knee in the solar plexus is a lame trick, which only works on newbies, elbow in the armpit I've never seen.

But your right BJJ is all about pressure with added movement and timing.

6. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Did someone say pressure points?

Was drilling the Kimura yesterday with a guy who is very good at it and I'm quite good at defending it:

Kneeslide on face to pinch mount

Followed by

Dropping weight from wristbone to ribs

Followed by

Elbow grinding face to break grips

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

it worked on me once too. some guy was knee-on-belly on me and i couldn't breathe and just tapped. now i'm like "oh well, just calm down and figure it out". lol.

8. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Yeah, causing pain/discomfort can useful. However, I think pain compliance is quite different to pressure points and only really an incidental tool. I would never look at a picture of a technique and think to myself "I could have used a pain compliance technique there", it is pretty far down my level of grappling priorities.

9. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Personally I see them as one and the same- many techniques work best when painful.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Anything that makes breathing harder 'works'. Sure it works better on beginners and people with bad conditioning...but then, so does everything else.
    A guy I train with uses it to get people to shift their arm to relieve the pressure and then he's swoops in for an arm triangle. It only normally works for him once, because people stop moving their arm.

Another common one is to kneel on the nerve cluster on the inner thing when you're trying to pass. That is hellishly unpleasant.

11. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

honestly, all that stuff just makes me less compliant and more ****ed off now. like the lockdown. just aggravates me when someone pulls that out. and when i get home and see shin bruises because of it, just makes me more mad for the next time i roll with the guy. i've come to realize that hard sparring and competition just turns us into monsters. we spend so much time getting humbled that when we get to turn the tables on someone else, it's ON!!!

look, i'm not out to hurt anyone. but i am out to choke you, or armbar you. lol.

12. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I can believe that kneeling on someones thing would definitely get their attention.

13. Dead_pool

You misunderstand, knee into the center of the body is easier to drive off to the side and reclaim quarter or half guard, shin across the stomach is a far more stable attacking platform.

Kneeling on tgphe theigh when passing is also really inefficient, that means if the leg moves you move, trapping the theigh in the space between the knee and the foot is far more effective at stabalising a half pass.

The elbow into armpit thing will only work if there elbows are away from the body, elbows in is bjj safety position 101.

14. Dead_pool

Especially an inner thing!!

15. holyheadjch

True.
    I don't mean sitting there with the knee on the thigh, but when you're transitioning your leg over, drag the knee (hard) across the inner thigh - Christ is hurts.

16. Dead_pool

Dragging it through makes friction, friction makes you slow, slow means they have more time to shrimp,

Plus I wear knee pads!

To be fair I can see its use, but its not optimum,

17. holyheadjch

Please tell my training partners this!

18. Dead_pool

When they do it, (if its a knee slice pass, and there stopping you putting you other knee in to defend) block the knee, and using both legs bridge and shrimp away.

19. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I'm going to bring this back from the how awesome BJJ is to the OP with a little difference of opinion (not something I am known for I know).

In my experience (in Japan) TMA have not focused on training/prepping students at all, it is sink or swim, the best you can hope for is a senior student adopts you and teaches you outside of class.

In my experience of modern martial arts (the deadly Jitz) they had a prep course that required basic stuff until you got to a certain rank and could join the big boys and girls.

So I see the inverse. Discuss.

20. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

It's easy for beginners to get preoccupied with making techniques painful just for the sake of it (and I see this TONS in non-sportive arts) but this doesn't mean 'pressure points' as some interpret them aren't useful.

CPR armbars, elbow spikes into the sternum to encourage shrimping on the setup for an 1100 armbar, turning the head and framing (with forearm or shoulder) on the jawline or neck to deter or stall arm-spins and swims, lifting the head and shoulder in side control/head-and-arm while riding your weight into the floating ribs... All examples of using painful or 'rude' techniques (which do very little in isolation) to advance an attack.

KoB on the sternum, can openers in isolation, elbows and knees in the thighs, all examples of mindless and (on their own) ineffectual aggression.