Traditional vs MMA

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Slihn, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

In the end, martial arts itself was the winner. Without the likes of Kendo Nagasaki and Giant Haystacks, there would be no MMA, no Gracies, no "aliveness", no oily men fighting in a cage. Modern martial arts would be a terrible place full of six year old black belts and XMA backflips.

(If I were Slipthejab I could spend the rest of the thread posting pictures of classic british wrestlers of the 1970s, but I'll refrain :D)

(maybe... :yeleyes: )

Dunno! I'm just old enough to remember "World of Sport", but I don't remember that one!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  2. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

you got something against turkish oil wrestling?
    [​IMG]

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

No aliveness - doesn't look like the guy in front is resisting... :D

4. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

well... would you? ;)

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

LOL

Oddly, 9 times out of 10, if someone gets my name wrong (which they frequently do) they call me Scott. I don't know why. But at this point, I just answer to it.

It actually started with my first arnis teachers, who were all Filipino. Me and a couple of friends of mine would hang out with them and their family all the time. My friend Scott and I were both 6 ft. and over with blond hair and blue eyes. So I just figured that they all genuinely thought I was Scott. (I understand we all look alike.) ;)

But it's persisted far far longer than my friendship with Scott has, sadly. So now there's no explaining it.

Scott... er, Steven... I mean Stuart

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think that's the guy I was thinking about. I didn't realize he was still in the game. I'm not sure whether that invalidates my point or reinforces it. So I'll just point over your shoulder and gesticulate wildly like there's something very important going on. Then I'll leg it.

WHAT THE?!!

*Yoink*

7. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

Good point Scott :D

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

*laugh*

What'd I tell ya!

9. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

And they aren't MMA fighters ;). They are fighters that fight MMA.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

We are sad to report that MAP member Naughty Knight was crushed today under the weight of his own rhetoric. :)

11. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

I think we will remember you for a long time. Someone's going to sig that. :D

12. stump

stump Supersub

Not sure what it proves to be honest if it proves anything at all. Would be interesting to know if he is still training JKD/FMA or if he's moved on to BJJ/MMA completely.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah it would. I mean, he could still very readily be doing MMA in a JKD camp. There are certainly guys like Eric Paulsen and Matt Thornton who approach JKD from an MMA emphasis.

Interesting. Thanks for coming up with his name.

Stuart

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm guessing it won't be Naughty Knight. :)

(Sorry NK. No offense intended. :D )

15. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

lol, mate I dont take offence.