traditional shotokan karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by kirkwood1916, Nov 10, 2003.

1. kirkwood1916

kirkwood1916 New Member

I think todays Karate Ka, are more focused on acheiving quick grades and winning trophies than working at there Karate training, ( Form, Posture, Stances, Speed, Power. )

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

then say so on the appropriate forum ;)
    or better yet- don't :) :)

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Well out of order KE - what's your beef?

:woo:

4. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Sorry Yoda :D

This was in the Latest News section of the forum - I moved it about 15 mins ago - sorry but KE was quite right :D

5. YODA

No Mel - KE was wrong to say "or better yet- don't "

It was non-contributory flame-bait :(

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hi Kirkwood,

I think your spot on with that. Everyone grading every 3 months, trying to make their kata look flash for the judges,

PAH!

Col

7. Knight_Errant

Ah, sorry.
    It was late and I was being silly, Kirkwood. I mean nothing by it. I suppose you're right.

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Every three months???

Sheesh! And I get one belt every year by sheer luck :rolleyes:

|Cain|

9. YODA

Don't worry Cain - the harder you train the luckier you'll get. :D

10. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

I think there is a fairly healthly mix of Shotokan Karate clubs available (in the UK anyway). Some more traditional (form, kata etc oriented), some more competition oriented and others a mix of the two.

Its a case of sussing out the instructor and his affliations.

11. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

what Scaramouch said +

On my travels I have seen mostly good traditional clubs that are not just making compition people. But then again what Scaramouch said.

12. Cain

Cain New Member

LOL! Thanx! :D

On the other hand I think I know now why I am so unlucky ;)

|Cain|

13. xubis

xubis New Member

Everyone? I grade at -most- every 6 months or whenever I am ready after that, it takes 6-8 years to get a black belt at our school, as of yet, there is only 1!

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Ok, that was a generalism,

You did know that right? ;)

15. kerling

xubis it's not a question of how often you grade. Black belt is just a belt.

Your style as Karate ka is much more you than your belt. You should always strive to be your best. Be a good what ever grade you are. Be good for your grade be your best and try harder next time.

With that kind of insight you will be content. Be content but want more.

Regards Kerling

16. kerling

Yes there can be only one!

I'm sean connery Who are you? =)

17. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

To me a indication (in part) of how good the school/Organisation is how long it takes to get a black belt. It takes on average 8-10 years in our style, but its do-able in 6 if your're good.

Gradings are roughly every 6-12 months in my club... if you're good enough to go in the first place. Some of our students have been held 18 months at the low grades because they weren't good enough. Our instructor always says going on a grading is not a right, its a privilige, and we need to be good enough to pass when we go. The gradings aren't easy either I have confidence that If I get a belt, I've had to bloody earn it, not just turn up, and look 'flash.' Not everyone can say that.

I do dislike it when people grade every 3 months and just get handed a belt for turning up or looking good, then think they're better than you are just cos they're a higher grade. I suspect if you asked those people if they worked hard for their belt, they'd tell you they did :woo:

18. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

In Shotokan (KUGB/JKA) it takes on average 4-5 years to get to 1st Dan (Shodan) but if the practioner is exceptional and lucky as to when gradings are held it can be done in 3 and a half years.

BUT the point is that stressed to those training is that becomming a black belt means you are NOT a mystical master of MA, you are just technically able to execute good technique, remember advanced kata and to put up a good show at defending and attacking during free fighting. The idea is that once you have your Shodan you are just a student ready to learn more advanced and difficult techniques. I would say once 3rd Dan in Shotokan (which would probably mean +10 years regular training) or above you have demonstrated that you are pretty good and deserve a certain amount of respect.

Its seems different styles have different expectations for their black belts - which is the reason why some modern cross-training MA's have done away with grades all together.

19. Knight_Errant

I found the following article interesting in light of this thread:
    http://www.24fightingchickens.com/tactics/04_distancing.html
    The main thrust of redmond's argument seems to be that many karateka obsess over gradings, getting the next belt etc, whereas what would improve their game most would be basic drills such as the ones he advocates in this series of articles.

20. cockney

cockney New Member

I agree. The type of student who turns up at the club because they know there is a grading soon really ticks me off, but not as much as instructors who give!! the grades away because they are scared of people leaving,this weekens the club no matter what style.
    On the subject of Kata at a recent pre-grading course I had to perform hungetsu and did it the way I had learnt it many years ago. The chief instructor questioned me as to who taught it to me and he said I had performed it in an old style. This pleased me I hate this recent business of standardizing kata for competition so my students will be taught Hungetsu the old way. I know this is dragging on a bit but lastly I waited 18 years between 1st and 2nd dan, no belt can make you better only training.