Traditional Muay Thai Handwraps?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Panzerhaust, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Panzerhaust

Panzerhaust Banned Banned

I know that traditional Muay Thai fighters used to wrap their hand with hemp ropes. Does anyone have any information on how to do these traditional hand wraps and what size hemp rope you need?

2. Mi Don't Mi Do

Mi Don't Mi Do Valued Member

Uh I think you're better off with gloves pal.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Your not going to find anyone doing this anymore. You'll find that there are bareknucks matches in Thailand... but they're generally not advertised and are pretty far out of the tourist routes. Mae Sot and other areas up near the Burmese border have them... but again no hemp wraps... just bareknucks.

Why did you want the hemp wraps anyhow?
    If it was just for costume... then just about anything will work.

If it's for actually Muay Thai... no one is going to let you rock up for class with those. Get some gloves.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

no one is going to let you rock up for class with those

What about if I wrap my hands in the bandages of the dead?

5. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

well now that's a different matter.

6. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

i think it would add that uber hard element to his training... then he could call any guy who trains with gloves or wraps 'wimps'.

7. Panzerhaust

Panzerhaust Banned Banned

Mostly I was interested in it for the historical value but also I figured using the ropes might help with hand conditioning. Thanks for the input though.

8. sportmuaythai

sportmuaythai Valued Member

If you come to Thailand, you'll find some one who will teach you how to hand wrap the traditional way. Kru Yodtong of Sit Yodtong camp in Pattaya is one source. Many muay chaiya schools also know how to do the traditional hand wrap. But they don't pass out this skill easily. At Mae Sod, fighters just hand wrap the modern way. Incidentally, modern muaythai handwrap is a deviation of international style handwrap. The palms are left open to allow easy cupping of hands for grabbing behind opponent's neck.

9. jasonsplee

jasonsplee New Member

there is a video on youtube that shows u how to wrap it...width varies depending on what lenght u like