Traditional JKD?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Martial One, Apr 24, 2005.

1. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

Actually there's a physical structure to JKD; it's just that some people refer this physical structure as jun fan gung fu.

2. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

yep :D thus the only valid form of jkd "Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do" which veeeery few "jeet kune do" student's/teacher's actually do...bummer

3. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

It's supposed to be subjective. I don't think that's what you meant to say.

So you think people should learn martial arts by skipping the training entirely and just going straight to fighting?

4. Martial One

No that's not what i meant to say, what i meant to say is that they teach their own subjective versions of it, as in saying things like "there is no holding in jkd, it focuses on striking bla blah blah" i dont think bruce's way of adapting meant adapting yourself to one guy's way of doing things (example above), i think it means adapting to a situation :D but thats just what i think

5. medi

Adapting to a situation: Yes, to me that's what it means too, when you are fighting.

As for training. The JKD instructor may say 'JKD doesn't feature holding' and only teach you strikes, because that's his 'subjective' JKD. I agree he'd be wrong to tell you that you aren't doing JKD if you do start learning stuff outside his curriculum.

However, I don't think (and some JKD schools don't think so either) that it's up to the instructor to teach you every aspect of your JKD. You're can go to the 'striking' guy if you feel you can learn the best striking from him, then research the grappling side from someone completely different.

Dan Inosanto's JKD is way different now to what JKD was when Bruce died. There's a lot more Kali and Silat in there, and they've expanded the grappling enormously.

So how does Dan expand his grappling? The same as any other JKD player, by going to the best grapplers he can find, asking to train with them and learning their system top to bottom.

And what would Dan say if someone didn't agree with the way he structures his JKD? Fine, train with someone else closer to what you need.

I know there are people who think JKD is more rigid than that, and they've totally missed the point.

But the student doesn't HAVE to train with that person, if they're not delivering what the student wants.

6. medi

/\/\/\/\ I think Tel actually already summarized my view in 1 line

:rolleyes:

7. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I don't actually train in JKD but I do have an opinion on it. I think it is supposed to be you training what's best for you. Like YODA said, he has his own opinions and methods, which I think is the whole point. Bruce Lee said that martial arts is "honestly expressing one's self" so if you're just following the same path as Bruce and not doing anything different, then you are not expressing yourself, you are expressing Bruce. So I think the JKD Bruce used to do was his own expression, and he wanted his students to learn from him and find their own.

I may be missing something here, but this is an outside opinion on JKD, like I said, I've never trained in it.

8. medi

Bruce also warned against rejecting 'classicalism' out of hand, since by rejecting a method, once more you are trapping yourself. His concept was to be open to all ideas.

It's not like Bruce was against training in particular martial arts, just look at the arts he spent years training in. He didn't regard that time as wasted.

It's just that, at the time, people didn't have the openess to each others arts that we do today.

Reading reports by Bruce's contempories, they often say it was generally unheard of to even discuss another system, let alone consider going somewhere else to train.

These days, with the history of JKD and MMA we take doing multiple arts for granted, which is what Bruce wanted. He didn't say "don't study any classical arts".

9. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

yep totally spot on

10. tel

again,what u say is totally true

11. ecosys

ecosys New Member

Infact i'm pretty sure that I've read him saying the opposite in BL's commentaries on the Martial Way' :)

[edit] Classical being? .. Do you mean just generally other arts? (sorry, very simple question) [/edit]

Being pretty new to JKD I'm afraid I can't really add much, but it was a good discussion. Yes, I have my opinions on it but they have already been voiced :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  12. Martial One

Personally i think studying more variety, for one helps you understand the nature of it, two helps you find what is right for you, and three because you have a better understanding of it, it can increase your chances of defending against it :D But, don't ignore the basics of physics and physiology :D (assuming that if you know the basics of physiology, you also know the basics of anatomy)

13. medi

Like, "the knee bone's connected to the ... thigh bone" .... not for long if I can help it

14. tel

when i cross train between wing chun and kali for example,when u take knife out the hand and body postions are the same but maybe the kali uses the elbow more in the postion where wing chun would use forearm.which is better?depends. so when it comes to daily decrease i look at the similarities in motion and structure.so whatever art im in im training the one or two footworks,the few technqiues that are in both systems,because once broken down they are the same.

15. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

This is what I believe.
    Bruce said he didn't believe in stylea, that he didn't believe in a Chinese way of fighting or a Japanese way of fighting.

Well I believe there should be a ranking system. But let's not have that "Master" or "Grandmaster" crap. They can be called instructors.

But Jeet Kune Do isn't a style.

The instructors teach the moves and everything, but ultimately it teaches you to come up with your own version with stances, kicks, punches, and ect.

I just watched a lost interview of Bruce Lee getting interviewed.

Bruce said waster becomes the cup, water becomes the bottle, water becomes teapot.

So it says teach the moves, teach the way, teach the philosophy, but use your own version of Jeet Kune Do.

16. tel

thing is that to truly be able to break away from the structure u need to have a total understanding of the art u are breaking away from,i don't mean knowing 100 thousand techniques or 200 forms, but to understand the idea's the art has brought forward.the way it looks at combat,and you must be able to use some of the art

17. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

That's what I said. I said you have to fully understand the aspects of it.

18. Nyx

Nyx Valued Member

Forgive my ignorance but what is so special about Jeet Kune Do - Jun Fan Gung Fu? I believe that is what im learning currently, not much experence in JKD as you can tell.

Cheers. :D

19. tel

if u think that u have everything u want from karate then thats good,and taking out the stuff u can use from your chosen art and applying it, is jkd without being jkd. so if karate gives you all u need then thats cool