Trading of others reputations

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Colin Linz, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I just thought I would offer a couple of web sites for your viewing pleasure. It is these types of sites that make me so concerned about the effects they have on the art I study. One site actually states he teaches Shorinji Kempo. Anyone with even a little exposure to us will recognise he is a fraud. The other site claims to mix a range of styles, including Shorinji Kempo. The imagery is clearly designed to link him to us as is the terminology. Where we have three types of physical study, Goho, Juho and Seiho; he has the same, except he adds Nio to the front of them. Nio are the guarding deities of our headquarters (it is a Buddhist temple). Even the photos are re-creations of old Shorinji Kempo pictures. I do believe he did study Shorinji Kempo, but he doesn’t show a good understanding in either technique or philosophy. Anyway I just wanted to post this so you guys might understand why I can sometimes be a bit negative towards people’s claims.

Kaiso Supreme Priest Master Shawn Cephas is the founder of American Shorinji-Te-Nio Warrior Priest scientific martial art.

decidedly dodgy

2. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

what are the philosophies or ideas behind Shorinji Kempo??

i'm not too familiar w/ that system. a friend of mine said that he was taking a few classes in it at UC Irvine and seemed to like it. i guess it had a similar idea to it as Goju-Ryu does (my friend did Goju-Ryu for a while).

3. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

The short answer is that they are based on Kongo Zen Buddhism, Shorinji Kempo is a religion in Japan and it is possible to become a monk, but only if you train at a doin. Shorinji Kempo philosophy is aimed at improving your understanding of the world and human nature; however it also embodies principles of the art and tactics.

There six characteristics of Shorinji Kempo;

Ken Zen Ichinyo – Body and mind are the same
    Riki Ai Funi – Strength and love stand together
    Shushu Koju – Defend first, attack after
    Fusatsu Katsujin – Protect people without injury
    Goju Ittai – Hard and soft work together
    Kumite Shutai – Pair work is fundamental

It is these principles students will need to explore and write essays on for all the junior grades. If you are interested I would suggest looking at the WSKO site, there are a few of Kaiso’s lectures available to read, or looking at the Swedish site http://www.shorinji-kempo.org/ they have an English page and are one of the most informative sites on the web for Shorinji Kempo.

I must admit that the Shorinji te site has changed a little, they use to be very free with their use of Shorinji Kempo when describing their art, but there is still too much referencing, visual and concept wise for my comfort.

Sorry about the brief reply, I don’t normally like to leave it as “refer to this site” but I have an old Ducati that is begging me to fit a new brake master cylinder to it and go for a ride.

4. kempo-kid

kempo-kid Warning Dangerous

[​IMG]

What in the blue freaking hell is he wearing? Does he want to be raidon from mortal kombat :rolleyes:

KK

5. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

The blue dogi, Koolie hat and Buddhist beads are his, the Hoi is ours. The Hoi is the Buddhist robe that he is wearing. Kenshi wear these at formal training sessions or when doing demonstrations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Ya know, I see this in every style, there are good practitioners and teachers and lousy, fake ones...happens in every industry, every hobby, every everything...look at movies and music, fakers and real talents, just like this situation.

Why get worked up over it, I mean, while it is unfortunate, it's not surprising, there is little one can do to stop it...

7. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I guess it comes down to a couple of factors. I have a great respect for the art I do, as would anyone that has stayed with their art for a length of time. I really don’t want it to be associated with something that is not the same standard or give an incorrect understanding to people regarding the art I do. Yes it is true, there are people in all walks of life that will try to make a living from another’s reputation or image. This usually causes great concern for the victims of this behaviour. The way I see it is that you can look at it two ways. One you can ignore it, or two you can try to do what ever you can to warn people. Part of the philosophy of Shorinji Kempo is that we should make a stand in society, that we don’t meekly accept the wrongs we come across and that we try to correct them if possible. Ignoring this type of thing only encourages others to think they too can get away with it.

8. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Oh, I agree with that myself, not to sit by and watch losers be losers and suck people into their loserhood...but I guess my main point was whether you actually can do anything or not, short of warning people on message forums such as this...if not, one is best served to not let it eat them up...not disrepsecting the wanting to do something at all, I can totally understand the emotion you feel.

9. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

By doing whatever it is you can do, you at least feel that you have tried to do something. This helps keep things from gnawing away at you.

10. fthl

fthl www.jitsu.me

It should be noted that I think the SK training garb is pretty much the height of coolness. IMHO not even kendo stuff comes close. My plain white gi and haks just don't seem to cut it...

Excluding the pairing it with a blue gi of course. that is just plain wrong. Trinny and Suz would have a fit.

Is it too shallow to take up SK just for the outfit? Surely that is against all the points of the art....

Hmmmmm.....

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  11. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I can't agree on that, the outfits shown above are something I would never wear training or not. I like my black Gi, maybe I am just old fashioned, but I wanna wear pants, not dresses...

12. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Normal training attire is a white dogi even at our Hombu, a temple on Tadotsu. The Hoi only gets used for special occasions and is worn over your normal dogi. I think it is a hangover from our early days, up until around 1970 only the monks were allowed to do Shorinji Kempo. Mine hardly ever comes out.

13. Omicron

Omicron is around.

I can't wait for a hoi! I agree that they are super cool. I think they are one of the things that makes Shorinji Kempo instantly recognizable. My friends always tell me that it's the first thing they think of when they hear about SK.