Tracys kempo Ed Parker kempo

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by natkungfu, Nov 14, 2006.

1. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Yes you are going in the same direction I seem to be, if you will read some of my posts at SJK I mention the reason that Ted has the name "Go Shinjutsu or GoShin Jutsu or Go Shin Jutsu" on his crest, is for the reason, "it is like an umbrella of sorts" for them to teach the art of Mitose.

Remember the art of Mitose was rediscovered by Bruce Juchnik and Ray Arquilla took it back to the Tracys, along with what they had learned from Chow and EP Sr..
    Now 30 some years later it has evolved and others have not. They seem to add, as Kajukenbo has. They prefer to add not subtract and delete (EPAK) what was taught. Don't empty the glass just keep adding to it or get a bigger one to have more to drink (learn).

I was curious.You asked me about Samurai. Samurai is not all sword work it is about Ju Jutsu and all forms of fighting and weapons. Musashi mentioned study all the art forms, including Tea ceremony and Sho. But of course he ment the arts of fighting so you will know them and be able to beat them at their own game.

That is the essence of "Kosho". All arts not just Kempo. I have a different view of the work "Kenpo" than most. "Kempo" is what I believe is correct. The term Kenpo was poisioned at the root and therefore is truly messed up. But it is entrenched in the english language. Similar to Karate.

Kenpo Karate was/is a term coined by W. Chow. Brought to the mainland by EP Sr.

James Stafford and I have been discussing the term (along with others) but the reason I mention James is he brought up a good point by quoting the transcript of J Mitose. It is in the transcript that the term is "Kempo"...spelled that way with an M...

So you are making a statement in your last post, not a question as before. I think we need more clarification as to your original thought. I did answer it.

Gary

2. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Kenpo Karate was used my Motobu long before Chow. As I said, it was a generic term like Tode or Te used to acknowledge the Chinese roots of the art.

Here you're saying that Juchnik and Arquilla brought Mitose's art back to Tracy's, but in Will Tracy's articles it seems that he is claiming that for himself having supposedly trained in the Whorehouses with Fusai Oshida (Mitose's sister) who supposedly outranked James Mitose in Kempo.(Though according to both William Chun Jr. [who was training fulltime with Chow at the time Will said he got his black belt from him] and GM Kuoha [who also checked with several seniors as well as Chow himself] Will Tracy never trained with Chow, much less got a black belt from him. And none of them ever heard of his sister training in Kempo, much less being authorized to give out rank in it.). So do you think it was Juchnik or Wilbur Tracy that brought Mitose's art back to the Tracy system?

As to my original question, "What part of Tracy's is Samurai?" I don't think you did answer it.

3. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Dan,
    As far as what Will has to say that is what he is saying. I am a messenger of sort and at times I do express my thoughts and they are intermingled. I try to clairify but it does get mixed up once in awhile. Seems that others like to place a different thought then what was expressed.

I'll say this. I feel that it was brought into the system by both. It was there for Bruce to look for and he found it and when he did at the time he believed Mitose was dead...That's what everyone thought.

When he found Mitose he was very much maligned. It was not in the main stream at the time and after it was found that Mitose was not dead it was then picked back up, and placed in a position of importance.

It was a big deal back in the late 70's and early 80's. Bruce and Thomas were together for 10 years and then they went there ways. It has been 30 years now since Mitose came back into the scene. Lots of water under the bridge.

It is very difficult to say one way or the other, for I was not there and only can explain what I have been told by both parties. I think the Hall of Fame is one thing that is set up to right some wrongs. As far as those who were involved in this story.

But it still is not nor will it ever be able to shuffle all the deck and come up with 52 cards, that match and pair up. If that makes sense.

I mentioned Musashi and Go shin Jutsu, I believe that is it as far as Japanese. The rest is EP Sr and Chinese animals. Kempo is the right word, the word Kenpo is totally misleading IMHO...

Regards,
    Gary

4. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

5. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Musashi was also highly skilled in jujutsu. Although I am not so sure that is the same as what we know of as jujutsu.
    I read an account where he had defeated a 'master' of the 'lance' (spear? naginata? I dunno) and then he said, he would fight him "in the style of jujutsu". So Musashi knelt down, and according to the writing of the guy with the lance, he said he "could not approach withn 2 meters" of Musashi.

This was after Musashi had stopped killing duleists, and had developed the Sword That Gives Life philosophy. He could win duels without striking a blow. The lance master, although he had struck Musashi, still felt as though he was defeated even though Musashi never even tried to strike him. I've also read of a similar duel fought between 2 high ranking kendo masters in the early 20th century, where one guy struck 7 times, the other guy not at all, and yet he was declared the winner.

So, is it ligit to say that, jujutsu as practiced today is "from the samurai"?

and is this what Gary meant? Jujutsu? or the deeper meaning of these two duels.

6. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

David,

That is a good thought, and yes it is similar to the thinking. But it is also the ability to out think or negotiate with the other person and not have to hurt them. It obviously can't always be done but it is something to strive for. IMHO.

It is a situation where you are really a very good MA, forms or doing your movements so good and quick you can avoid contact and get away from the threat. Or as you mentioned block all attacks and not attack the person yourself.

But, if all that fails, and it might in 10 secnds or less, then the alternative is to destroy. Or render the opponent unable to fight you.
    As always each situation should be handled to the best of your ability, not to cause bodily harm.

Gary

7. southern jester

southern jester New Member

there is a school of american kenpo in louisville,ky. met a few students while at the bluegrass games. since neither of us where participating we had the chance to discuss martial arts. later we had dinner at applebees where the conversation about kenpo continued.

by the way have mentioned going to dinner with other martial arts students before. this by no means implies that i am really fat or lazy. sometimes have the chance to learn techniques and even freespar with students from other styles.

anyway here is what the american kenpo students told me. that tracy kenpo was based on old ed parker material. and in thier opinion far inferior to the later version of american kenpo. parker made a lot of important discoveries and changed the material a great deal. got the impression they did not care much for tracy system.

there is a tracy kenpo school not far from my apartment here in lexington. have spoken with and even freespared with a couple of them. they had little to offer in the way of what differences there were between the american and tracy kenpo.

that being said those guys can really frespar. they managed to kick my butt without too much trouble. seem very farmiliar with thier material and gave a favorable impresion of thier school. the tracy kenpo students were more than willing to back up what they had to say.

8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Are you going to the GOE111 next weekend? Hall of Fame? It will be a good gathering for the nostalgia folks, GM Al's Birthday to boot. Instead of receiving, he is giving away gifts of admiration to many. :)

I have been reading that the drinking of alcoholic beverages will be at an all time record :D

I am not sure that will be a pretty site :eek: :eek:

Gary

9. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

can someone bring back pics of the Gatherin of eagles

can someone bring back pics of the Gatherin of eagles?
    Also, where is it being held this year, Vegas?

10. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

http://www.goe2007.com/hotels.htm
    This is a hotel list.

Chicago IL.

Gary