Tournaments

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by AirNick, Apr 5, 2006.

1. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Right,

Time for a change I think, funny how the threads with a negative tone are the ones that run and run eh?

Did any of our American friends go to the recent tournaments in Texas or Great Lakes? If so, how did you get on, what masters were there, what was the demo like, any pics? etc.

I see there is another tournament in St. Louis at the end of the month, anyone going to that one?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  2. Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity New Member

Nobody likes good news!!! lol... Ever seen the front page of a newspaper with a happy event on it...lol

But yeah it would be interesting to see some pics and hear the stories of the recent comps.

3. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

I do! I'm bored of all these 'lets point out all the flaws in KSW' threads. Do my head in!

4. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

Sorry :cry: I blame my excess energy I'm not burning up :D

5. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

hows the knee monk?

6. Silentmonk

It feels good matey, but i won't know till next tuesday when it gets pulled about again by some expert or other. I hope i can start doing some blooming leg work again soon I know that. :bang:

7. psbn matt

as this is a tornament thread, what do you all think of my new school banner, due to be unveiled for the 1st time at the eurpoean championships this june.

Attached Files:

8. Silentmonk

Yeah tis cool mate Theressa did a good job on it huh! Its coming your way this week if you don't have it already. :)

9. ember

ember Valued Member

I competed in the Texas tournament. Even wrote a little about it in the Meditation thread :)

Not going to St. Louis this year. If I ever start travelling for tournaments (Korea doesn't count), that's first on my list... although I would feel wierd doing Kuk Sool where my TKD school was.

I had a great time. For all that there were two tests in between, I hadn't had a chance to tag up with some people since we got back from Korea. That meant they hadn't heard the update :( ... but it was good.

I made friends with the other DBNs in my division, that was cool. Learned one more name, PSBN Sosa was that center judge.

The tournament was smaller, so there were exactly four of us, but that was sort of good. The center judge was PSBN David from my school, and one of the side judges was Debbie KSN from La Marque, whom I also know.

I still choked on my Hyung (as usual) and came in 4th, but I managed to win a tiebreaker to get 2nd in techniques (threw Brian really well). Followed the example of the KSNs in September, and meditated with my staff when I was on-deck, and got the gold in that, my first ever! And then, as usual, lost both sparring rounds to get the last place medal.

Demo didn't start until 3 pm. I'll talk about it next.

10. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

No it isn't as I'm not going home this weekend. Mmm, I could hold it for ransom!

11. Silentmonk

Thats right the small guy makes me a liar again lol :D

12. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Well done Ember, 4 medals including a gold. Sounds good to me!

13. ember

ember Valued Member

I did say there were exactly four of us in the division, right?

I'm happy :)

14. Silentmonk

Usually only 4 in Nicks divisions. He never places :D :D

15. ember

ember Valued Member

Considering that one of my fourth place medals says "UK Tournament" right on it.... :rolleyes:

16. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Really? That's weird. It wasn't one of those extra small ones was it? We had those at our most recent tournament.

17. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

No tournament around here till september. Gives me more time to prepare. I don't travel often to tournaments, too much other stuff going on.

18. ember

ember Valued Member

It was smaller than the World medals, just like in September, but not nearly as small as most of my sister's cross country medals.

Considering that several people were asked to carry various items back from Korea (medals, uniforms, etc.), I figure a few must have gotten mixed up.

19. psbn matt

you should just lie and say you came over here and kicked butt in a division 60 strong, and walked away with 4th.:D
    we won't tell honest.

20. ember

ember Valued Member

Texas Tournament Demo

I think I mentioned that the demo didn't start until about 3 pm. I think the first thing was promotions, for the Masters who weren't promoted in Korea. I think there were three... I'm trying to check names with the pictures from the WKSA website. One of them had to be KJN Victor Quarles. I think he did the techniques, some exerpted from Hyung. One was similar to Mak Chi Gi 14, except that instead of grabbing the hand with the soh mah gi covers, he grabbed the head.

KJN Lee demoed hyung, parts 1-4 or so of Ki Cho Hyung, and parts 1 & 2 of Cho Geup Hyung (about to the circle backfist). They said this was his return to demo, he'd been out for hip replacement surgery for a while. I think he demoed other stuff too, like his famous rope techniques.

Then they did a few school demos, particularly for the schools who placed 2nd and first in the September tournament. Clear Lake did a lot of swords, first with hyung:

4 people with straight sword form on the left
    3 doing double short sword form in the middle,
    4 doing inverted sword form on the right.

Then sword cutting, and breaking, including a double concrete block.

South Austin went next, with techniques and such. SBN Perry's Gum Mool Hyung really stuck out in my mind, I learned a lot just watching it.

Pasadena brought out their Tiny Tigers, that was a long demo, but cute.

That's most of what I remember three weeks after the fact...

Adults competed after the demo. We had carpooled, and so were waiting around for a JKN to finish her competition. By then, it was about time for the results, so we went ahead and waited on that. The Champions and top ten school rankings are posted here:
    http://www.kuksoolwon.com/results_2006_TX.htm

The five or so of us DBNs still around made as much noise as we could, and about 9 pm went out for dinner. Didn't get back to the dojang and my car until about 11:30, but as I said, we were happy.

There was no 2nd degree competition, only color belt & 1st degrees.