tournament day

Discussion in 'Karate' started by raaeoh, Apr 27, 2014.

1. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

So today i sparred in my first real tournament. I was really not excited like I thought I would be. It was cool to be there support8ng the rest of my team and all, I was even excited for them. Even when I was scorinv my points I never felt any diffrent than any other day at the gym. I took 2 good shots from 2 MT guys, and already have a black eye. Even then it was no diffrent. I did not even care if I was winning or loosing. I took first place in my division.

Congrats all around blah blah blah. Its cool that I won 1st and all but i dont feel like I won. I dont really feel any diffrent than any other day at the gym.

I trained hard for today, so as not to blow out the nose of my opponet, but feel no reward no personal satisfaction. When I see my team win at their events I get super excited for them.

Do any of you feel this way when you compete?

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

That's more or less how I felt in my boxing match, although I losses miserably. There was however a bit of pre fight jitters.

Your whole description sounded like Afghanistan to me, lol. Supposed to be all sorts of excitement, fear, anxiety, etc. and all I felt was a whole lot of nuffin'. :p

Congrats though. Any video?

3. raaeoh

yes there is video. I need to find my cable though. as soon as I can find it I will post it. I do look a bit awkward as this is my first event, and I had a hard time with the point stop thing.

I am uploading now.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  4. raaeoh

They are uploading now. They are 1080 and my home puter is having issues at the moment Be patient.

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

A tournament is a short term goal for your training. If you set your goal for 1 year, you may never be able to reach that goal. If you set your goal for 6 months, it can push you to train hard in that 6 months. When your opponent tries to knock/take you down but he can't, you will smile in your dream for many nights. Even money can't buy you that kind of "fun".

Your tournament window may close on you when you have a full time job, family and children to feed, and have mortgage to pay. After you no longer compete in tournament, you will have the rest of your life time to train MA for health, self-cultivation, inner peace, performance, and ... Until then, try to compete as much as you can when you are still young. You will never regret it.

6. raaeoh

Being in my 40s I really believe my window has just now opened. I only re started training for my health, and to show my kids I practice what I preach. I get what you are saying. do not get me wrong, but my window will ony close the day I shut it.

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I like your attitude. MA is 2 persons art. It can't be trained solo and that's for sure.

8. raaeoh

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I have absolutely no idea what was going on for the most part, but you're obviously more aggressive than the other guy, lol. I couldn't offer anything technique wise due to the difference in styles I'm used to in comparison to what was going on here, so commenting on "good job with attacking" is all I can say. :p

10. raaeoh

I felt no emotion. no joy of winning the round, nothing. That is the issue I am interested in. I dont even care about the lack of technique I was using there. Thanks for the compliment though. I am usually more aggressive. This makes me look like a kitten. The next one will be up soon. It is a 2 part due to a near dq

11. raaeoh

Here we stop when we both score a shot to the face. ( no face contact )

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdJDS_Sd2sw&feature=youtu.be"]YouTube[/ame]

12. raaeoh

I actually feel as thought this is becoming the norm feeling for me. kind of like I I am only existing for everyone else. Dont get me wrong in that statement I am happy to have won 1st place and all, but I would have preferred !st place to go to one of my team mates over myself. Maybe its because I have all I need? I dont know I am just not Geeked! does it make sense or am I just neurotic?

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you have a "plan" and if your plan works, you will have emotion. For example, if you can use "jab, cross combo" to hit on your opponent all the time, that "jab, cross combo" will stay with you for the rest of your life. It will become your "door guarding" move. You will build all your skill around it. Your future goal will be to make it to work on everybody on this planet. Anybody who wants to learn it, will have to come to you. You will become a master of it. That will be your life long "joy". MA training can have lot of "joy" if you know where you are going.

The day that your "door guarding" move works all the time, you will find out that everybody exist just for you, so you can test your skill on them, and "increase your successful ratio". Everybody will be just your "jab, cross" punching target for you.

14. raaeoh

Interesting point of view. As I reread my last post it did not read as I was thinking. Not completely any way.

As much as a few years ago I was excited.about even the small stuff. This not so much. Iike I said earlier it is a cool win but, it almost felt like I had won 100s of times. I always get excited when any one else I know wins. Any way that was kind of the point I was trying to make.

I took note of how my instructor was when I won. He was definatly excited. It might be making a bit more sense to me now.

I forgot the ending of the 2 vid I put up. Oddly it toom a really hard hit to get me more focused. [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aw2aa5B8sxY[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Well congrats on the win. I don't know why you don't feel proud for yourself, you worked hard to get to where you are. You just have to keep working hard to progress forward.