Toughening the shins

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Athleng Nordic, Oct 5, 2004.

1. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

I like the bag too although a while back we used to hit soft trees and each other for conditioning due to lack of bag/resources. I have a question though, what is the difference between the impact of the shin meeting the bag and a staff/bottle etc rolling up and down your shin, has there been any scientific studies done in the past to debunk this myth?

2. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

The way I was taught is that you should always hit hard on soft (e.g. shin on bag) and soft on hard (e.g. forearms on trees) when conditioning.

3. ToRNaDo LorD

ToRNaDo LorD New Member

Why not do that? It works well, and for my black belt testing coming up next week im lucky I have killed my nerves. At my black belt testing we gotta take are shin pads and stuff off roll are pant legs up to our knees, go over and do a shin break on a board (not those cheap ones either) and there was this guy testing for his black and didn't kill his nerves or get in shape for it and went up and kicked it as hard as he could, he was on the ground crying and allso trying his best not to cry. So its a good thing to kill the nerves.

4. ToRNaDo LorD

ToRNaDo LorD New Member

I allso do bagwork and use the bo staff and stick.

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

do as you wish. just remember that every pro thai boxer thinks you're a tit for doing it.

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Except for the risk of cancer, the fact that you'll have no sensation to tell you if you really damage your shin...

The reason that rolling stuff on your shin is considered a bad idea is quite simple. Take a rolling pin for example, rolling this up and down your shin will cause stress microfractures, which then heal over harder, but more brittle, than the original bone. Taken to extremes this can lead to bone cancer, osteoperosis, or ossification. But hey, its your shins.

7. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

I think it was Soke Tak Kubota that use to use a 5 pound hammer to toughen his..

8. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

That makes sense, what are the effects of high velocity impact against a bag/opponent?

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Less damaging, because its a 'softer' impact. This is all drawn from a GP I know incidentally, as well as my own (teeny weenie) bit of knowledge on the subject from my medical physics course.

10. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Hitting your shins with wood hurts for a reason... YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO!
    A heavy bag is useful for a reason... YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO HIT IT!
    Do the math. Your shins + wood, or your shins + bag... Which one is more sensible?

11. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Okay training on a bag is the best method for the shins. How about the thighs? We were training to "Eat" the hit on our thighs last night. The drill was about blocking the feint at the head then catching the kick. Had fun caught a couple of good hits, we were trying to go soft but after an hour your legs are jello. :D

So how can I work this?

12. ToRNaDo LorD

ToRNaDo LorD New Member

Saying im misguided? Im learning from a master instructor 6th degree black belt in TKD, Sayoc Kali, Kick Boxing, Philipino Martial Arts, Escrima, Tang Soo Do, Muay Thai, and Masho Jio-Jitsu. Your saying im misguided? Think again. He personly trained in Korea, Thailand, and the Philipenes and was a gold medal winner of the 1994 Kali World Championships in the Philipenes and was awarded Master Instuctor of the year by Shokie International Hall of Fame in 1997. You still think im misguided? And no, my friend is not full of crap me and him are both black belts and the best in our dojo, he's better than me, he is not full of crap. Now see if im misguided or he's full of crap. Think before you speak.

13. nunchukpaul

nunchukpaul Banned Banned

oooooooooooooo arrrrr hard man, hate to tell you but ikken was right :rolleyes:

14. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

While I do agree that Ikken does at times overexaggerates (putting it lightly), he does have a point. Read my other post:

I'm not saying your master sensei is wrong, it's just that its been shown through combat and actual training that a heavy bag is just as good as whacking your shins against wood. I myself have never, ever, broken a baseball bat with my shins, because IT'S NOT NECESSARY! If you like to use your traditional methods, go ahead. We're just saying its completely unnecessary to inflict this on yourself. (BTW, breaking boards with your hands is a lot more useful than with your feet/shin, since kicks tend to be aimed at more fleshy spots, like the legs or abdomen.)

15. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Unfortunately despite an extensive search I can find no details of the 1994 WEKAF world championships, since their official website seems to be down. There was a profile page on a completely seperate site that claimed to describe a sixth dan who could've been your instructor, but there were no links or even references to back of the claims on this page. I've also not managed to find anything on the Shokie International Hall of Fame, are you sure you spelt it correctly?

16. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Sorry to bust your bubble dude but all this means nothing. Its not the number of styles or the amount of years you've been training...it's the quality of your training that matters. Just because he's a 6th degree black belt, doesnt make every claim he makes true...does it? Ill go with Ikken on this one as he has a more moderate approach to his training. Give some scientific or otherwise evidence to back up what your saying rather than giving theresume of your instructor and then ill listen to what you have to say :rolleyes:

17. Graifox

Graifox New Member

why do people use japanesse in refernce to a korean art.... i got told off for it.... :D

If you kill off nerves aren't you gonna risk losing some control of your leg and some autodefensive reactions. Ie pulling your leg away from a hot surface or not being able to tell if the bathwaters to hot.
    I mean you could boil other "bits" in water thats to hot. Not nice!
    And aren't you gonna risk skin cancer too from damaging the skin like that. Bruises gave serious effects on the skin if too deep. Not to mention muscle damage.

Isn't it more possible to rip a muscle or a tendon thats bruised and tight?

Also if you damage your nerves bones muscles etc aren't you gonna slow yourself down therefor decreasing the efficency of a kick or your reaction times.

And i thought the point of learning to block effectively was to decrease the risk of injury through mpact. If so, why then do a sport if you are gonna conteract all that hard work you've done to get good in the first place.

whats the point?

:huh:

18. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

thai boxing has no belt ranks. and why would you gain ranks in both kickboxing and thai boxing?

got anything to verify that? not that it means anything to me anyway. never even heard of the shokie hall of fame.
    yeah you guys are real hard men. have fun with your zimmerframes.

19. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

What does this have to do with my quote? :confused: All I was saying that different senseis have different preferences and uses. BUT, a heavy bag is just as useful for conditioning the shins as wood. Wood has unnecessary pain involved, but the overall results are pretty much the same, aside from the fact that the wood using shin would have more pain intensity.

20. ToRNaDo LorD

ToRNaDo LorD New Member

Ive been training over 4 years, I know what im doing.