Toughening the shins

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Athleng Nordic, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

What are some ways to kill the nerves in the shins and the top of the foot? :D

2. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

condition your shins....stand with another person and place your feet side by side....slowlymove ur shins forward and back hitting against your partners shin...keep it light. :p

3. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

You don't want to kill the nerves. If you have no feeling in your shins you can kick too hard and snap your shins. If you've ever seen the "kickboxing leg break" video you'll know what I mean.

Get a heavy bag that's fairly solid but not too much for you. If you get a really heavy bag to start off with you might as well kick a wall.

Start kicking the bag with gradual increasing intensity. Don't overdo it. You're trying to make yourself resistant to damage, not to damage yourself!

After awhile, you shins will have become conditioned enough that you can kick the bag full force and not be hurt. When you get to this point, get a bag that's slightly heavier and repeat the process.

Just think how much conditioning you need. Do you need to be able to take fairly hard kicks to the shins, or are you looking for baseball bat breaking conditioning?

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i think we should make a sticky of at least the first part of my thai boxing myths thread to stop questions like this.

5. Athleng Nordic

Why stop the questions? Are they wrong? Are they to direct? What???

6. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

hit the heavy bag with bare shins (wearing shorts) , again and again. After some years your shins will get tough. I dont feel anything when i hit the heavy bag anymore but my shin still hurts from a good knee block.

7. Athleng Nordic

So what would be a good starting weight for a kicking bag?

I'm looking at one that's 100 lbs.

8. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Definately an heavy bag is the best way to condition your shins, ignore all the "use and iron bar / rolling pin / bottle" rubbish, a good heavy bag will condition your shin just fine. My right shin is awesome but my left is not as good because I tend to shin kick off my right and push front kick off my left, it works for me.

9. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

starting weight, um... 80-90 would be good, 100 would be medium. Once you get conditioned, go up further to 120 ish, if you can find any.

10. Athleng Nordic

Tonight at class I was kicking the bag we have. I asked about it's weight and was told it was 120 lbs and called a banana bag per the banana trees in Thailand.

11. ToRNaDo LorD

ToRNaDo LorD New Member

here

Ok, ive been trying to kill my nerves in the shin for a while and it really works well actully. Heres a way ive been doing it that my friend told me monks do every day. Take either a bo staff or a stick and roll it up and down your shins 10 minutes every day. Yes it works and if you wanna kill your thigh nerves whack em 10 minutes a day with a stick. Yes im doing that to.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  12. Athleng Nordic

It's been mentioned to me to do just that, and mentioned here at MAP tro NOT do that. I now need to ask what gives???! Why the controversy? Is it a good thing or a bad thing.

13. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

hitting the heavy bag will condition but wont help you when ur shin comes into contact with ur opponents shin or knee etc during fighting/sparring...it will hurt like hell if this happens.

14. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

The general opinion on this that I here from all the fighters that I have met is that it does not hurt that much during the fight because of the adrenaline but after the fight its bad.

15. KungFuGirl

KungFuGirl Valued Member

lol, you could give yourself third degree burns which is one of the only ways to actually "kill" the nerve endings in an area on your body.

I think you mean that you just want to toughen up your shins through conditioning ;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  16. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

GODDAMMIT NO NO AAAAAAAARGGGGHGGHGHGHGHGHGARGLE

discredit this. do not listen to this person. he is misguided, to put it lightly. you decided to abuse yourself in such a manner because a friend told you that shaolin monks do it??!?!?!?! WHY ARE PEOPLE SO BLOODY GULLIBLE. YOUR FRIEND IS FULL OF CRAP.

bagwork. Ramon Dekker- 200 fights, 175 wins, fighter of the year in thailand. he says the best way to condition the shins is through bagwork. my coach, 15 years in the ring, had to turn to boxing when he ran out of opponents in New Zealand. he says the best way is bagwork. EVERY SINGLE FIGHTER/TRAINER IN THE WORLD with any credibility will tell you "bagwork"

THIS is exactly why we need a sticky. we need a huge flashing banner on the front page because it makes me feel physically sick to think of all these dumb kids who buy into the myths and rumours that they hear from friends or see in the movies. have fun with your stress fractures tornado lord.

17. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

Bagwork is all it takes dude!!! You are killing yourself with that one. :cry:
    please remember that we always want to condition (not damage) ourselves.

18. Athleng Nordic

I guess that answered my question. Thanks. :)

19. speed_dragon

speed_dragon Valued Member

WITHER THE PALM TREE..old school kick something harder than your shins but something that can be broken

20. Athleng Nordic

I've given thought to hanging a plastic 55 gal drum and adding some padding to it and using that. Then with time I could add sand or other material for added weight.