total lack of motivation

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by gornex, Apr 28, 2007.

1. gornex

gornex Valued Member

hey, so i started bjj about 2 weeks ago. The funny thing is i haven't been i like a week and a half at least. I went for the first day, went twice that day, then like the following and haven't been since. I don't know what it is, i just can't get motivated. Last class i went to kinda sucked for a bunch of weird reasons, but i wana get back into a routine that i used to have for my other arts. I guess i am just looking for some words of wisdom or encouragement to help me go. I am not a big fan of starting new things so its kinda hard, i love stuff like this once i get into it but the first 1-2 months is always hard.

*edit* there is a class tomorrow that i hopefully will go to.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Did you actually really enjoy it or did you just tell yourself you did? If you really enjoy going then surely you would be motivated to return?
    Even when I really feel tired or just lazy and can't be bothered going to class I do, as I know that I need to in order to get better and that once I get there it will be all fine and I will enjoy it.
    Perhaps its nerves? It's hard starting up an ma, getting used to new people and a new school ,so maybe that's what is holding you back maybe?

Try not thinking about it until it's time to go, get your stuff ready etc but dont keep thinking about it as you will no doubt talk yourself out of it again.

Good luck with it anyways :)

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

It would seem that you already know what the problem is. You just have to bite the bullet and stick with it for that initial two months it takes you to get into the routine of going along.

4. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

the technical term for what you are suffering from is "laziness."

5. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

The only thing you can do is MAKE yourself go. Practically push yourself out the door and don't make any silly excuses like "It's raining."

6. gornex

gornex Valued Member

yeah i went today, it was amazing. I am going to be going more often for sure. I woke up like 20 minutes before i had to leave, showered and left. I think i made a huge mistake in not eating or drinking anything before i left cause at the end i felt like i was going to puke. If the class hadn't ended and i didn't get any water i would have for sure. Good class though.

7. Lekta

Lekta Super-Valued Power Member

You must force yourself to come to terms with you laziness and push yourself to go. There is no easy way to do it. The founder of Judo, Kano always said that the secret to getting good was to "Never miss practice". You need to decide whether you really want to learn Brazilian Jiu-jitsu or you have just been telling yourself you do. If you don't plan on staying dedicated and giving yourself and your school 100% quit while your ahead. There's nothing worse than someone who shows up then leaves and repeats that pattern. The only reason you won't royally anger the instructor is all the cash you are giving him. Save yourself the time and money and decide whether you actually want to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or not.

8. sholo86

sholo86 Teoul Moon Kung Fu

I'm not sure if this was your first BJJ class ever or you've had BJJ training before and this was a new BJJ school your attending, but I think because you had training sessions that sucked when you first started, it's causing you to loose your motivation.
    Do you like the instructor and his methods of teaching? Do you think he's qualified? Is your tuition fairly priced for the amount of training you get? Do you get along with the other students during training? Do you REALLY want to learn BJJ or improve your skills in BJJ?
    If your answer to my questions is "YES", then you need to force yourself and tell yourself that this is not a waste of time, go train and break the spell of laziness.
    Remember: In (MA), nothing is given; everything is earned. (sig)