Total Grappling : The Guard Volume 1 & 2

Discussion in 'MMA' started by YODA, May 2, 2003.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi MAPers

Here's my review of Nathan "LEVO" Leverton's latest tape set...

The Guard Volume 1 & 2

[​IMG]

Once again Nathan sets the standard by which other videos in this area must be judged. This tape set is dedicated to taking your understanding of movement, position & control in the guard and giving it a sound kick up the ass to the next level. Production quality is excellent with a clear sharp image and good sound quality.

Mobility, posture & positional control within the guard is so often overlooked and this tape set provides an excellent reference to fill that gap.

Tape 1 concentrates on movement and position. Drills are introduced in a logical & straightforward progression that takes you from maintaining a mobile & active open guard to methods of preventing your opponent from passing your guard whilst setting him up for a sweep or escape. How to use your hips, how to destroy your opponents posture, how to use your legs to best effect – it goes on! Several of the moves detailed are so simple and immediately applicable that on several occasions I found myself thinking “Doh! Why didn’t I think of that?”

[​IMG]

Tape 2 deals with sweeps & submissions using standing clinchwork theory applied to the guard game using familiar standing clinch tools such as the underhook, overhook, arm drag and head lock. Again the theory behind the set ups & moves used is simple, directly applicable & is taught in a logical and very easy to follow progression. Sweeps and submissions are taught in combinations that flow logically from one to the next – each move either working directly or if it fails, setting up the next in the series. Each combination and individual move is shown in great depth and from several camera angles. The actual submissions and reversals taught are the usual mix of armbars, triangles, scissor sweeps, flower sweep, omoplata etc that we see on so many other tapes – the difference here is that a lot of time and effort has been put into detailing the “when & where” in additional to the usual “how.” Gone is the usual pointless repetition aimed at little more than padding out a tape and in its place we see a genuine desire to get the material across in the most efficient manner – it works! At each stage through out the tape we are treated to live sparring footage showing the movements applied in real time. There are even a few surprises for those patient enough to find them 

[​IMG]

Within a few training sessions of viewing these tapes my guard game had become noticeably more mobile with a much more active guard rather than just lying there waiting for an opportunity to try yet another standard armbar or choke. These tapes really do deliver the goods – so go buy them!

Click for more info and ordering details

Dave “YODA” Green
    Chief Instructor
    Combative Edge Academy
    www.ceaclubs.co.uk

2. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

I'm ordering mine soon.

Off to the south west open mat tommorow, then when I get back I'll get the cheque in the post to Nathan.

Nice one Yoda

3. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Hmm, think I may order them - seems like that's what missing in my so called 'guard'. :p

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

You won't regret it Bon - these tapes are great!

5. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

Wow, those tapes look great :D

Many thanks for review mate.

Nathan

6. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Levo, will you be able to take international orders online soon?

Getting a cheque made out costs like $20. :(

7. Levo

Levo Nathan Leverton

If you email me to sort out a price I can send you a PayPal request so you can pay online.

I have done this several times for people in Europe who wanted to pay by Euro.

Note: the tapes are in PAL VHS, make sure they play in your region.

Nathan - nleverton@netscape.net