Toronto vs Montreal

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xue Sheng, Apr 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

This could get me in trouble but....

I have come to the conclusion that the folks in Toronto are a bit nicer than those in Montreal. Not that the folks in Montreal are rude, just that it seemed that there was an awful lot more unsolicited assistance offered in Toronto than is in Montreal, and I was bumped into more in Montreal by folks forcing their way by, with nothing said, as they forced their way through, that did not happen at all in Toronto, which is 1,000,000 people bigger than Montreal. However if I were to compare it to NYC, Montreal is the friendliest place on earth

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I think you're wrong. I grew up farther North where people are more polite and kinder, and having lived in Toronto for a decade and been to Montreal many times I think it's the other way around.

3. Xue Sheng

So you're saying the folks in NYC ARE nicer than folks in Montreal!!!! :D

I grew up in New England and have spent most of my adult life in upstate NY, waaaaaay upstate...think Adirondacks.

I am more than willing to admit I may be wrong and that if I spent more time in either place I may change my mind. And I am not saying the folks in Montreal are mean, nasty and rude. They are just fine and nicer than most American cities I have been in. However based on my experience the folks in Toronto were a little nicer. Now it could be the weather, could be the time of year, could be they had other things on their mind. But I was bumped into more and had folks force there way but more in Montreal. Not a lot, I could count the number on one hand. I had none of that in Toronto. I walked around Toronto the same way I walked around Montreal...looking lost...mostly because. was. And there were multiple times in Toronto where folks just stopped and asked me if they could help, and did help. Had one person do that in Montreal.

Now if that was NYC, no one would offer, most would ignore me if I asked and some may even threaten me for bothering them. I have been to NYC A LOT more than Toronto and Montreal.

But with all that said, I could live in Montreal, it is a nice place. It is justI would likely end up having to learn French.

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I think you're confusing people being rude with people being French.

pgsmith likes this.
  5. Xue Sheng

So, its ok to be rude if your French, is that what you're saying?

Frankly I found the French aspect rather quaint and I rather enjoyed it and I would not mind going back to Montreal.

I am not saying everybody was rude, And I have no idea if they were French or not. This is no more than a 1/2 dozen compared to the 0 in Toronto. It is also that they seemed less helpful to lost folks. And to be honest I am ok with this. Been in a lot of large cities. Toronto is currently the 9th largest city and Montreal the 20th largest city in North America; New York City (2), Los Angeles (3), Washington–Baltimore (5), San Francisco (6), Boston (7) Miami (12), Detroit (14) San Diego (15) . But of all of them, based on simply folks being nice Toronto and Montreal are 1 and 2. And I absolutely love Boston, I grew up near there, but it is not the nicest city in North America, especially if you are driving in it.

And I am done defending my opinion that I have already said that I am more than willing to admit I am wrong based on my short exposure to both. And this is absolutely laughable if compared to virtually any US city. or some of the other cities outside of the US, I have been in, 1/2 a dozen would be an incredibly good day. Heck in Beijing (3 in the world) it is expected that personal space is an incredibly foreign concept.

And I apologize for this thread, probably should have just kept my "opinions" to myself and moved on

My apologies, and I would not complain one little bit if the Mods deleted this thread.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Given MAP's policy on race, religion, sexuality and the like we don't want to get into bashing one group of people over another.

No blame anywhere, but thread closed.

Xue Sheng and aaradia like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.