torn chest cartlidge

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by zombiekicker, Jan 25, 2015.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Anyone had this? Can it reoccur as was just about to properly start Bjj after my taster last year. Or am I stuck doing light activity for good

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you're healed (i.e. you've finished whatever treatment your doctor prescribed), I suggest you go to training and find out.

3. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

In my mid twenties I spent a considerable amount of time in the weight room, after I quit due to a horrible shoulder injury I spent about six months sitting on the couch. When I finally got around to being active again I tore the cartledge in my chest, it seemed like it tooks months for that to heal and its always worried me that it could recur, its been seven years since that happened and it hasnt flared back up.

4. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

No just happened. Felt like I'd imagine a heart attack would. Ended up in hospital

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Not my chest, but I ruined the cartilage in my ankle a couple years ago. Long healing time, but it hasn't had any trouble since. Might be a bit more unstable, but haven't had any incidents. Imagine it would be the same for you.

6. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Rest for a bit then some lightweight training. Cheers just freaked me out a bit

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

When you say chest cartilage do you mean the cartilage between your ribs?

If so avoid twisting motion In your upper body whilst rolling for a few months.

8. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

YeAh I think that's what's happened. So a good rest then

9. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Just would help it we knew a bit more. The cartilage can't hurt, it doesn't have any nerve supply of any significance. It's the ligaments that hold the cartilage into the ends of the ribs that often get sprained. There is a possibility that you could hurt the intercostal muscles or other tissues in the adjacent area.

Take a peek at my comment on adductor injuries and then see it you want me to add any more here eh!

;' D

LFD

10. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

A concern I have is I'm 44 and quite out of shape now with this happening should I even be starting Bjj. Will it reoccur etc

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I train with a few people in there 50's and 60's if your concerned for your health, training safely and getting fit is far far better for you then not doing those two things.

12. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

So when it's healed just start training as I was going too. I should know that really