Torn Cartilage

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Phantom Power, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

It's official, results from an MRI confirm I've torn the cartilage in my knee. It started in January and I haven't been able to train since then, just getting fatter watching box sets on the TV. I took the advice of a physiotherapist and have managed to get to a comfortable walking stage, but it keeps "going" if I do anything more than walk, hence training is still out.

Finally went to a surgeon, got the MRI and now need to get an operation to cut away the tear. I'm told normal recovery is 6 to 8 weeks but for BJJ (kneeling) more likely 12 weeks. Plus side is, it should be a full recovery, back to normal.

I had heard bad things about such ops, like they leave you with reduced shock absorption and increase the chances of a replacement knee earlier in life. However the advise on that was the damage is done, shock absorption is already reduced due to the tear the choice is whether to live with the reduced activity or get on with life (my words not the surgeon's).

Anyone had such an op or have anecdotal stories? I've made up my mind to go for it and trust the surgeon but always good to hear total stranger's opinions lol

2. kennel

kennel New Member

I never tore my cartilage, I tore my acl (anterior cruciate ligament) in my left knee.

I ****ed about for 2 years, during that time I quit all martial arts & fitness training & decided my goal weight was 100kg, I was around 88kg at the time of the accident. I got to 98kg & then the light bulb went off, a friend of mine took my photo for a security pass for work. I looked at the photo, wondered "whose that fat person" & decided to get my stuff together.

I never got a diagnosis on my knee for about a year & by that time I was already on my way back training at home. I watched videos on you tube of the "recovered athletes" who had no surgery & still worked out without an ACL. I thought I could replicate this. I WAS WRONG. I ended up going bone on bone 30 seconds into a skipping round. I had surgery a month later, they grafted my hamstring making an acl.

This was the best decision I ever made.

It has taken about 2 years to recover to its best & I am active in Tae kwon do & BJJ, I also weight train.

I am 45 years old & I retired myself from contact sparring the day of the injury, I was thai boxing at the time & a friend of mine showed me by way of a good flogging I didn't belong there any more, I got swept & my acl tore, it was an accident.

I would suggest you get the operation & give yourself plenty of time to heal, don't rush back into training martial arts, get your body right first.
    When you train, train to your age & your injuries, don't go stupid & tap before the pain, (they young lions like to crank it) Don't set yourself up for chronic pain due to armbars or figure 4s because your a hard man, remember you still have to work.

Supplementation: glucosamine & fish oil, I take this every day, I don't know if this helps but doctor advised it.

I would also advise weight training & low impact cardio. I cant run due to osteo arthritis in both knees but you can get good cardio training from X trainers or steppers. Kettlebells are also an excellent tool for conditioning.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2014
  3. Phantom Power

Thanks for the response, funnily enough it was skipping when my injury occurred as well. But due to the MRI I know it's defo torn cartilage. I'm also well aware of my age (maybe feeling it too much right now) and tap early...I'm just feeling really frustrated these days as I'm not getting the chance to tap at all.

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Kennel, please watch your language. Swearing (masked or otherwise) is against the rules here on MAP. Thank you for your cooperation with this. :)

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Ouch! Sorry to hear that dude :(

My oldest sister did that when she was trying to get into the national long jump team in her younger years when she landed badly.

If it makes you feel any better, she went on to play amateur women's rugby with some of the local teams for a while (until she grew out of the sport). To this day she hits the swimming pool, cycling machines and other gym stuff multiple times a week and a few months ago completed her first "spinathon" (something crazy like her and two friends managing 8 hours of cycling non-stop).

I'd +1 the fish oil, too. Also at the risk of coming across as flippant, at least you still have your upper body. Thought about temporarily taking up some basic weight lifting? Overhead pressing, curling in the squat rack, that kind of thing? :p

(EDIT: Don't curl in the squat rack. Ever.).

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

always curl in the squat rack. did it in the power cage yesterday

i second the upper body training while working on whatever the physio recommends

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I squat in the curl rack. That sounds scatalogical. :)

8. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

You monster.

[​IMG]

:p

9. Phantom Power

I do indeed still have my upper body, and there's more of it every day!

I've been doing more body weight exercises tying in with the physio exercises plus getting a sore backside on the bike. All of that does get me some basic workout but it's not the same as training, wanting to tap just because you can't breathe but forcing yourself to go on...until you tap anyway :p

10. kennel

kennel New Member

Sorry didn't realize, I will curb my Australian convict attitude & colourful roguish language.

My apologies again, I never meant to offend.
    :)

11. kennel

kennel New Member

Phantom power

What Loco states is very true & I did this, train around your injury/surgery. It assists in overall body recovery & healing. It also helps your mind & makes you feel good.

Also ensure you complete all of the rehab drills given to you by your Doctor or Physiotherapist, this is critical

Good luck