top 10 techniques.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by raaeoh, Nov 5, 2014.

1. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

A buddy and I were discussing the pros and cons of any MA style some are better at this or that etc. It came down to this question. If you had to learn only 10 different techniques for self defense and sport what would they be? The rule is they have to apply to both. any style.

jab, hook, uppercut, round house, front snap, foot sweep, hip throw, full nelson, arm bar, key lock, the shoot, came to mind right away. many more good options have come up since then. obviously more than 10.

could you narrow it down to just 10? what are they?

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

All the "soft skills" of self defence? From verbal judo to positioning with multiple attackers to legal underpinning to, well, everything else? Covering when under attack?

That's before you even get to a strike or throw.

Mitch

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

cover, grab, swing, hang, stab, anchor, stamp, chop, whip, lift.
    Handily, that's my entire system B)

4. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

An interesting question....

I'd start with block/cover and movement. I consider them 'techniques' that we spend a lot of time training in.

Jab and straight/reverse punch.

Front kick and footsweep, and probably a low roundhouse. Kicking legs and knees does damage. (Don't hit the knees in sport though...)

The rest depend on what you call 'sport' - some rulesets don't allow throws, takedowns, and locks, or limit which ones are legal. Wrist locks are also much harder to do when your opponent is wearing gloves.

5. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Heres my ten, fighting stance, stepping, jab, cross, head butt, knee, hiptoss, over hook/underhook, cover up, outside block. Those would be my pick.