Too Old?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by TonyMc, Sep 22, 2020.

1. TonyMc

TonyMc Valued Member

I've suddenly got a bee in my bonnet about returning to martial arts at the age of 50 - my knees are also not great. Kneeling on floors would be highly uncomfortable for me.

So, I have 2 styles to choose from - Uechi Ryu and Shotokan. I like the look of the Uechi Ryu style but I am concerned that its more about conditioning than anything else. It's the self defence aspect that I am interested in.

What do you think?

Should I even be considering karate at my age?

2. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Speak to the instructors about your knees, see what adaptations can be made.
    Never too old!! Good luck

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Your age is no problem! I would go talk to each sensei, watch a couple of classes, and see which you like the "vibe" from most.

Neither art is necessarily self defence focused, but that doesn't mean an individual instructor isn't.

Have fun!

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I'm 49, and just starting in Uechi Ryu myself. Never been a karate person, but I'm figuring that kata is better than boxing sparring for us old guys. Not that I dislike boxing at all, but -- you know, getting hit all the time when you're "old" ain't always fun!

But ya, the self-defense side of it is what has caught my eye, too.

The conditioning part is a bit, um ... not really what I'm looking for either, and my instructor knows that, so he's not going to rush it. Talk it out with your instructor. He has to respect that different students progress differently, and everyone knows that at 50 yo you are not made of rubber like you used to be.

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Like others have said, best thing is to talk to the instructors and pick a place that is willing to do a bit of accommodation for your limitations. Also discuss what you are looking for and see which ones fit the bill.

I've had students in their middle 70's join and train and do very well. For many older students, the biggest area of interest was in falling practice. We just have to be a bit more careful (and maybe not worry about as many repetitions) but it can be taught and practiced safely.

All the best to you

Mitch likes this.