Too old to begin wrestling at 44?

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Tai Sabaki, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Tai Sabaki

Tai Sabaki Valued Member

Been a keen martial artist for years but at 44 I really fancy giving wrestling a go, freestyle Olympic/Greco. Am I tool old at 44, am I just going to get battered and get injuries all the time? Thanks!

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Not too old, but remember to train SMART not HARD at this stage in your development!

Let them know you want to learn the skill not to try and become the next Karelin!

I train in Catch Wrestling at 43 and with a smashed up body so go to it!

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

What Hannibal says. My old wrestling coach is 50 odd and his mates are well in their 60s and still spar in their classes with the students.

4. Tai Sabaki

Tai Sabaki Valued Member

Thanks for the encouraging words!

5. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Late to the party, but I say go for it! I started Judo at 41. I've been pretty banged up, but am still at it three years later. If I can handle Judo, there's no reason you can't handle wrestling. Just be careful and listen to your body.

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'm 38 and still fighting full contact. You're only as old as you feel. Train smart and safe and you'll be just fine.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

4th'd, 5th'd, whatever. I'm in boxing, not wrestling, but at age 45 (nearly 46) the principle is the same considering that I'm in the class for competitors. The intensity level is very high, but I'm somehow doing it, so you can do it, too! Just stop when you need to stop, and go when you can go! :D

8. quasar44

quasar44 New Member

Wrestling is geared for HS kids
    It’s super effective
    My advice ..this is what I did
    We are same age and both realized later in life that wrestling is the best System

You have one option.
    Find a private coach ! !!!
    Catch wrest has inferior take downs

go to sherdog and look for
    coach
    Look at mma gyms and see if any instructor is a college wrestler then call the school
    Your options are few

Don’t engage in live sparring until you have 6 months of training

things to learn

Breaking grips
    Sprawl
    2 on 1 and arm drag
    Double and single
    Knee picks
    Ankle picks
    Body locks

(Mod note: Two posts combined into one)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2020
  9. quasar44

quasar44 New Member

Also mma classes have wrestling built in !!
    BJJ classes have almost zero wrestling

10. Mushroom

Going back to the Op, I've been to a few Wade Schalles seminars...and if you want to talk about "age not being a number" look up that guy!

Here's a vid of him teaching a bunch of kids...so should be safe re language :D

11. quasar44

quasar44 New Member

MMA wrestling is good
    Regular wrestling has many stuff that won’t work in mma or streets and 40s maybe too old

12. Mushroom

Ya what now?

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. Grapplezilla

Grapplezilla New Member

It's never too late to start to learn wrestling, the main thing is to remember that Wrestling is a dynamic grappling style, so as you age you may want to focus on different techniques than if you were younger.

I have been wrestling since I was a child and continue to wrestle even at the age of 42, I can definitely say that I wrestle much differently than I did when I was younger.

I really believe when you get older you will want to focus more on getting the underhook and front headlock, perhaps hitting arm drags and avoid too much shooting for doubles. I would stick to single legs, slide-by's and knee taps.

As we age, shooting for that power double becomes more difficult but if we focus on highland techniques and perhaps more Greco Roman based techniques, you can easily wrestle into your 60's.

hope this helped and good luck in your wrestling journey!