Too much or a lot of goodness?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Alphabull, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Alphabull

Alphabull New Member

Need some help from you veterans. I am going to start taking Martial Arts and was just wondering what some of you thought of this school....
    www.jujutsumartialarts.cmasdirect.com . They seem to offer a well rounded program with both stand up and ground work, but to a novice like me that seems like a lot of different styles mixed in. So like my title asks is this too much or a whole lot of goodness? Thanks in advance. If not this Kempo Jujutsu program my other option is a Silat class that meets once a week.

2. Tripitaka of AA

Tripitaka of AA Valued Member

It is a site full of info. Some good tips on how to decide on which club, are contained in their page facts and questions. It offers some good advice.

There are a few things that I would want to question... but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places (it IS a big site).

This is the part which I find difficult;
    (my italics

There are a few instructor names listed (and mentions of seminars from guest instructors), but no biog details. No details on where the "blend" was mixed, h the blend was formulated, nor whether it will taste the same each time ;) . This could result in "Joe Sensei" teaching something that he's picked up in a seminar, mixed with a few ideas from his couple of years of TKD and a few fancy tricks from the PS2 version of Tekken. In the RIGHT hands this could make for a fascinating and exhilarating martial art.... or it could make for a flimsy, half-hearted attempt to offer the "best of all worlds" by folk who didn't stick at any one art long enough to qualify to teach it.

Read the FAQ and go through the checklist it offers. Test drive the club and see what you think. Watch the students as much as the instructors. Think carefully about what you want from the training and see if they measure up.

A smorgersbord is an interesting way to eat, but a structured diet, it ain't.

3. Luar

Luar New Member

My response to your overall question is concentrate on one thing at a time and do your best to become proficient at it. At the end of the day, your heart will tell you if this is what you want to study.