Too much cardio?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ArthurKing, Jun 16, 2011.

1. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

I run for 20 minutes or so, not on the flat, 3 times per week, Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. I then eat my main meal of the day. I am also doing DanVanZ's isometric stretching routine for my hip flexibility later on the same days. This includes squats, lunges and static kicks as warm ups (about 20 mins worth). I have also started doing more upper body strength work at the end of the isometrics- pull ups, planks, push ups, again, about 20 minutes worth. I have no access to weights so it's pretty well all bodyweight, usually with a rucksack with bricks in for some of the exercises. I've been drinking a pint of milk (semi skimmed) with a raw egg after each of these isometric sessions. I also do my dojo training on Fridays, which usually includes some cardio. My diet is well balanced and vegetarian.
    After all that, my question is this- why am i not gaining weight?
    Too much cardio? Not enough protein? Is running bad for weight gain? Should i make one of the sessions heavy bag work instead? Would i better with a post training drink made from powdered milk and egg? Do i need a pre-training drink/meal? I can't afford expensive supplements or to buy lots more milk, hence the powdered milk idea.
    Thoughts please. I have looked at books and websites but just wondered if anyone here had any ideas or experience. I'm primarily training for strength and power for my martial arts, but would like to gain some weight as i am 6 foot tall and only 70 kg/11 stone.
    Thanks. :)

2. liero

liero Valued Member

Diet diet diet.

What does the rest of your intake apart from milk and raw eggs include?
    want to gain weight?
    Double it, add a daily t-bone steak and 2 bowls of vegetables.

Start lifting weights

3. Atre

Atre Valued Member

Most issues in this area are calorie based.

If you want to get muscle in a significant way you need to be eating enough to get fat. Given that most of us are settled into our diets and holding at a steady weight that actually takes a lot of effort. Vegetarianism might not help your total calorie count.

4. Atre

Atre Valued Member

To answer OP's original question, running isn't a particularly significant calorie sink. The vast majority of food intake is spent on keeping yourself warm, an extra meal per week would easily cover most casual runner's extra energy spend IIRC.

5. Kat12

Kat12 Valued Member

How much protein would you say you get per day? You'll need about a gram per pound of your bodyweight...and keep in mind that you may not be absorbing everything you get from food.

Last time I complained to my partner about not making gains in the gym-- "dammit, I am not upping my weights!" he came back with, "And have you been good about drinking your protein shakes?" "Um....no...I'm really tired of them." "Then quit complaining." Yup.

The powder can be expensive--though it pays to shop around-- but it can last you a while as well.

I use powdered milk as well. I just plain don't drink milk--yuck--so a gallon would go bad long before I get through it. I use powdered milk for everything. Plus using powdered means I can take my shake anywhere that has a water source (drinking fountain). IMO it's the only way to fly.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  6. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I think training might be the problem here, actually. Beyond a certain point (about 12 reps), bodyweight exercises are not going to encourage your body to put on muscle unless you switch to a more difficult variation of the exercise.

7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

The training sucks for gaining weight, push ups etc are a great addition to a decent program but ain't no big dudes walking around who only got there with BW moves only.*

You need acess to weights, liero and KE hit the nail square on the head. get a shed load of calories down and lift heavy weights at least 3 times a week and you'll see progress.

*Within reason, in before people post picks of pro gymnasts, or other genetic anomalies, they are not like you and I.

8. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Thanks for replies folks. I guess i need to-
    up my protein (meat is not an option), my diet is reasonably balanced, i'm a big carbs guy, lots of wholemeal bread and potatoes.
    -increase weights, but it will have to be weighted variations of body weight as, like i said, i have no access to barbell/dumbell weights but i am going to have a think about 'improvised' weights.
    My fitness and muscle tone are definitely up, so that's a good start.
    Cheers.

9. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Join a gym...

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Check out the homemade training materials thread for tons of ideas. Press ups with your feet up on a bench, progressing to up on a wall, progressing to handstand pres ups. The Bestskills website has lots of ideas on this. Chin ups & pull ups with wieghts, etc etc.

Mitch

11. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned