Too much blocking...

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by pulp fiction, Jan 21, 2006.

1. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

So today I was sparring in my dojang with a 2nd Dan Blackbelt. We are about the same height and weight.

I scored some really good points and so did she. At some point of the fight she threw a kick to rip my head off, so I blocked that kick because I was cornered to a wall. I blocked it with my arm. She got angry and now she was just aiming for a KO.

I blocked three kicks like that, and every time I did that she became really really angry.

After the fight she told me that I don't play by the rules because I blocked her kicks. As far as I know blocking with your arm a high kick is valid in WTF.

She damged a little bit her instep because of my blockings, but I was wearing full sparring gear ( hogu, shin guards, elbow/forearm guards, and head gear).

I don't know what to think about this, it isn't like I punched her in the head or hit her in the knee. She got really angry.

Should I not block??

I feel kind of bad because she damaged her instep, but that's the risk of martial arts and you accept it the minute when you agree to spar with another person.

2. tkdgirl01

tkdgirl01 Silly no more!

It sounded like she was being a baby about you being able to block most of her kicks. Really, you aren't supposed to stand there and get the tar knocked out of you (well, on purpose anyways).

3. Chr9is

Chr9is New Member

I see no reason why you shouldn't block. Imho, shes just being really immature. She should know that if you practice a martial art, particularly TKD, and you spar, injuries are liable to happen. Don't feel bad. You were sparring, and did nothing bad/dishonorable/harmful. Well, you mightve harmed her ego. But at 2nd Dan, i personally would have expected more maturity.

4. Gray

Gray New Member

She sounds like a crybaby <DELETED>. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2006
  5. jon-m

jon-m New Member

This is quite a common response to from a young dan holder. Ego is a big thing here. You damaged her ego, I wouldn't worry about her instep.

You did the right thing, learn from her reactions and ensure you never react the same way to someone else in future.

Good luck!

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

are you kidding me??? of course you should block and you ARE supposed to protect yourself, and one way of doing it is blocking. it's her problem, and hers alone, that she was not able to get passed your block.

in the future continue being careful, work on your footwork, blocking as well, and stay cool. if she is losing temper, you mustn't. use the moment when she is not focused and then get your points.

well done :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  7. demonicturtle

demonicturtle Valued Member

Dodging is better anyway. Watch them lunge...watch them lunge... :D

8. hux

hux ya, whatever.

you did exactly the right thing, this person is in the wrong. My only caution is that if I can catch you in a pattern like that (high block every time) my next move is to feint a high kick and then pop you in the riblets :)

but yea, sounds as if this person needs an attitude adjustment from your instructor.

9. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

dude, its not rocket science

10. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Thanks for the replies.

My instructor didn 't say anything to her, but he congratulated me for sparring in a very mature way. He also told me that I scored some really good points.

11. Kacey

Kacey New Member

I agree with the previous posters - you did the right thing. There is no reason for this bb to expect you to let her kick you; she is most likely upset that you could block. I also agree with hux - she needs an attitude adjustment from someone who can get through her blocks and let her see how it feels from her opponent's side; she seems to have forgotten. If a bb gets hit by a color belt, then it's the bb's fault.

In addition, if your instructor is pleased, then you reacted and acted correctly.

12. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

only thing i could think of is if u were blocking with ur elbows, we genrally discourage that in the friendly dojang.

maby?

13. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

You were right to defend yourself... isint that the whole point of sparring? I guess she cant handle the fact that you blocked what might have been her best shot- someone who has this little self control does not deserve the rank of 2nd Dan.

14. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

No, I blocked with my forearms. Besides I was wearing forearm guards.

15. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Being told off for fighting well.

What does she expect you to do? Absorb all the kicks like a heavy bag?

Blocking is a valid way of defence, its alot better than getting KO'd by a kick to the head. Judging by the fact that her instep hurts you were blocking properly, your blocks are supposed to hurt. When I block, I aim to brake their wrist or shins.

Tell her to grow up. She is a 2nd dan, she should be able to deal with a fighter that blocks. If she cant, maybe she should be sent back to white belt and re learn how to fight.

If you reall want to **** her off, do some nasty counters :D. My fave is to check the kick and the do a quick cresent kick to their head. It doesn't really have the power to ko them, but it clips then and causes them to lose concentration.

16. sholo86

sholo86 Teoul Moon Kung Fu

Amazing...a 2nd Dan BB crying because she could not connect with her kicks. I'm not familiar with WTF, but is there really a "rule" on what type of block you can use when you're on the defensive? Just curious...

17. thaiboxer9

thaiboxer9 Kungfu Boy

Cunning...... I like it :D :D

pulp fiction, you are doing the right thing. Tell her that the whole TKD MAPPERS know that it is legal and actually encouraged to block. If she really doesn,t know this then she should think whether she really deserved the grades.

18. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

the crescent kick, you mean sewo chagi? if we are talking about the same kick, then it definitely has the power to KO. I KOed my opponents with that kick, but of course at the dojang you don't go with 100% power at your sparring partners' head.

it's the block that will prevent you from being hit :D

19. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

A crescent kick to me is like an axe kick, except you are striking at the top with the sideways motion. You can get a nice thud out of it, but you would need a serious amount of strength in your leg muscles/tendons in order to create enough force for a KO surely. :confused:

20. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

You could KO someone with a regular cresent kick. Though Im talking about as soon as you check the kick, you smack them with a cresent before you ground the leg.

I've ko'd a guy with a skipping cresent before. Its a nice way to get in the guard.