Tonfas

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Credis, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Credis

Credis New Member

What is the main concept to using these? I've seen a few exhibition competitions with them, and never quite understood what was going on. I couldn't get a few of what the guys were doing. Is it based on beneath-the-arm fighting, or is there a lot of twirling of it involved?

2. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I'm no expert on tonfa, but I have played with them on and off over the years. So, FWIW, here's my opinion....

Don't worry too much about spinning them and trying to look flash. Just hold it along your forearm and use the weapon to augment your usual hand techniques, ie. elbow with the butt end, 'punch' with the other hand, strike (as in the karate outward block) with the end of the handle, block/strike with the underside of the forearm (ie. the length of the whole stick).

There are, of course, many other things you can do with a tonfa but I think it's important to develop good basics and not get carried away with weak and ineffectual 'twirling' that serves no real purpose.

You can almost guarantee that anything you saw in a demonstration of tonfa was impractical. Properly used, they're not a weapon that 'looks good', they're just brutally effective at causing injury.

Mike

3. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Hi.
    I am know expert in tonfa but i have learned a basic tonfa kobudo kata in my JJ class.And the aplications are suprisingly effective.

Like Mike said, the basics are the most important things.And the karate style block with the tonfa along ur arm is very, very sore when done right (and you're attacking ) owwwww.

I have been shown, very recently some very interesting applications with tonfa.One from the kata, but actualy practicing it more regularly, which involves a block, strikes, and sort of leg sweep.

Another one recently was applying a wrist lock with the tonfa then applying (with the wrist lock still on) a sort of body rop throw (tai otoshi) (sp?).
    But i enjoy tonfa as a wepon.

4. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Basic concepts depend on what you are using them against (same for any weapon)

Across the arm you are using them kind of like a shield, you generally want to cover and crash. Get inside and strike.

Personnally I find they usually make a better weapon if you hold them upside down (like a hammer) ....

But here's the good news, you can spar with them and work out the basic concepts that work for you, test out everything you see and hear and draw your own conclusions ;)

5. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

I usually hold the weak side as a forearm brace and the strong side as a hook/hammer.