Tonfa

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Side-kick, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Side-kick

Side-kick New Member

does anyone here have experience using Tonfa? I got a second hand book that described it as a very versatile weapon due to its attack/defence capabilities.

I bought some recently and experiemented. Is it recognised to rotate it from out-side in , across the body rather then from chest- inside-out. Just curious as the book I had didn't show that technique at all.

2. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

There are an infinite number of ways to use any weapon if you are just "playin around" with anything just stop and look at the different ways you could use them. Then using just a few different moves start to link them together using fluid and controlled movements.

The key, as with most fighting, is in the feet. The weapon will provide you with a different angle of fighting but this will only become apparant when you get the movement right.

This will also show you many other ways of using them that when you are just leeping around the backyard just feel natural and the "right" thing to do.

In essence - feep the attacks simple and make sure your footwork puts you best in a position to attack with somewhere to go.

Oh and practise in an area of uneven terrain as this will improve your quick recognition of dangers and ways of locking yourself into bad positions because of the obstacles.

You can do this with any weapon (except missile launchers) and after you get the first weapon down pat with all the understanding of what you are doing then the next weapon will come more naturally.

And be creative. No-one knows every move possible with any weapon. Look at the weapon then think how it will work on your body then sort out what you can do with it like so.

I will soon be making a set of Kama so that I can play around with them - should be real fun hehehe.

3. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Yep

Most books, on any weapon say something like this about the weapon in question ;)

Yes, works both ways.

You can strike at any angle, stab, punch, forearm smash, elbow, flip 'em and hit with the handle, etc. Whatever you can make it work it is a valid technique

Once you have some control over them, move your experimenting to a heavy bag.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

....... Good advice.

After you've gained the basic feel by hitting the bag you should spar with the weapon - otherwise you just have an accessory to a dance.

5. Side-kick

Side-kick New Member

This is good advice spread over these replys, thanks Andrew, Yoda and Darzeka.
    Intersting idea to use uneven terrain. Would a tonfa split a vinal bag do you think? Or would I need to put carpet? or something to take the impact - I dont have a canvass bag.
    I have yet to see sparing with tonfa in acrtion. Goodness, that could only come after real disciplin and sharp sensori-motor control, but its the true test of the weapons validity and users level of skill.
    How does a pair of Tonfa compair to ratan sticks in theory /appication.

6. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

I have vinyl bags and I have hit them with all sorts of things. It does add to the wear on them more then punches, but they survive it, just look a little more beat on. They get beat on by me and others very regularly and while they are scuffed up a fair bit, they don't look like they're likely to split anytime soon.

Or you could use padded ones like I do. Sparring full speed with tonfa wouldn't be something I'd recommend.

some things will be similar, but it is a competely different weapon.

7. YODA

I agree with Andrew - the mechanics of the two weapons are VERY different. As for how well one would stand up against the other in sparring - I have no idea. I've yet to come across any "tonfa-ists" that are as crazeeee as us stickfighters and like to knock lumps off each other.

If anyone fancies going up against the rattan - full contact - no body armour (just light headgear & gloves) just gimme a shout. It doesn't hurt as much as you'd think (Ok, it does - but it's nice when you stop) :D

8. Side-kick

Side-kick New Member

in weapons sparring (of which I have no concept) e.g. in tonfa / ratan sticks - whats the objective? Is it to simulat a fight; to experiemnt - are there rules of some kind?

Just tapping the wood tonfa on my collar bone gently makes me think _very_ hard about about using it solo. Its a real incentive to keep your concentration up.

Has anyone had any self-inflicted injuries with Tonfa - the flipping movemnt is like a boomerang, if its not stopped it can do a 360. This after Nunchuka must be the most potentially (self) dangerous

9. YODA

Hi Side-Kick

The way we spar with weapons - there are several ways we do it depending on what we are trying to achieve.

Sometimes we will tone down the contact so we can try new stuff & develop ideas.

Sometimes we go all out - the idea being to fight as near to reality as possible. Full contact - any technique allowed. We follow the "Dog Brothers" format if you are familiar with it (I am a member of the Dog Brothers Martial Arts Association) and the credo of...

"Higher Consciousness Through Harder Contact"©

Here's some info from them about what they / we do....

http://www.dogbrothers.com/articles/maiart.htm

10. Side-kick

Side-kick New Member

Thanks Yoda - looked at the site. It brought back memories of the film 'Fight Club' :>

11. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Remember that the tonfas not just a striking weapon but can be used as a locking tool as well.

Try sparring against an unarmed opponent to get the feel of these locks.

I've sparred Tonfa against kinfe before and it was great (when you have the tonfa), just keep repeatedly cracking the other guys knees.

Thanx

12. Side-kick

Side-kick New Member

Thats innteresting to target the knees. Very demoralising I can imagine.
    I read you should always check the Tonfas joints to see its not loose. My handle can't be pulled out or twisted but I can feel a 1mm rocking when I thrust forward like a punch. This 1mm 'give' is really magnified when your concentraiting. Is this to be expected in Tonfa? Or is it something to worry about?

13. Freeform

General wear and tear. If I wear you I'd try to sort the problem with some wood glue but they're going to get worse from now on.

A friend of mine got a carpenter to make him a pair out of Brazillian hardwood, very good pair. He's had them for over 10 years and done a lot of striking and locking and thers no wobble in the handles to date! The problem with most Tonfas is that they're mass produced so the qualities pretty low. Most folk just use them for kata so the handles never under any strain.

Thanx

14. Side-kick

Side-kick New Member

Ah thanks for the reply to that.
    When you targetted your partners knees, how did you go abuot it? Did you stoop in your stance to get 'online horizonally to the knees? Or do a diagonal swipe from top down [or even bottom up] at the their knee?
    I located just one mpeg about tonfa use and it shows someone karate blocking a staff and then binding their our stretched arm.

Watching how they changed their grip from blocking tool to trapping tool was interesting. Changing grip under pressure must be a big skill with this tool.

Can you get heavy Rubber tonfa ? I know you can get H.rubber nunchuka.

15. Freeform

i generally use a diagonal downward sweep, rotating the tonfa from inside to out.

16. Side-kick

Side-kick New Member

My tonfa has developed woodworm. I cant beleive it! Tiny machine gun-like holes have peppered the body. (What style do wood-worm use?)
    Does anyone know if you can get instructional video on tonfa in the UK. I see them on US web sites but not in the UK

17. Side-kick

Side-kick New Member

In answer to the request for material on Tonfa that involves submission and take-down rather than striking I have seen a video available at blitz called 'Modern Tonfa' by Ewe Clauss et al. - its Volume 2 that you want for this application of the Tonfa. The video lasts about 40 mins.
    Some of the uses of the Tonfa may resemble other 'stick' applications in this use, maybe some are unique to the Tonfa, as it has its own specific design [i.e. a handle that sticks out].

18. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Pour boiling water over it.

19. YODA

What? The video or the tonfa? LOL?

20. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

The woodworm infested tonfa.