Tonfa Variation/s

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Artemisia, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Artemisia

Artemisia New Member

Hi guys,

For about 18 months or so i have been studying and researching the history and application of the Tonfa.

My research has led me to a number of variations and would love some input/opinion/history on some of them. The list of variations -

Tonfa - Okinawa
    Mae Sawk - Thai
    Staupe - Khmer
    Shimizu - Japan??
    Tui-Fa??
    Shuang Guai - China
    Toya - SEA
    Tcharu??

Thanks Guys.

Cant wait for the replies.

Regards

Artemisia

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hi
    The Mae Sawk (Sawk or Sok = Elbow in Thai) are equipped with a blade in the business end.

Also look into the western types of grinding handles used as battlefield (peasantry) weapons.

IIRC The Wallace Collection (Manchester Sq London W1) has some. I'm sure I saw some shod with metal plate and blades when last in there.

Good Luck

3. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

Cambodian dambang soap(spelling?) with the points on the end. Never seen them but saw photos of them and explanations in an extensive report from vincent giordano in his last VF report. Looks like a pretty cool variation.

4. Artemisia

Artemisia New Member

I wasn't even aware that grinder type weapons were utilised here in the west, intriguing.
    I must visit 'the wallace collection'. Thank you SoKKlab.

Thanks Jaggernautico, I managed to find a video on Youtube showing the Dambong Staupe in action. Cool Stuff. Wonder if it is someway related to the Mae Sawk.

5. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

You will see the weapons usually are related in SE Asia and there are variations of them throughout. You might want to get on vincent giordanos vanishing flame list and get his last report weapons of courage and opportunity, its an underground newsletter so you have to ask to get on it, etc. He is an expert who trained and survived many of these type of weapons and systems throughout se asia and india.