Today. TEST!

Discussion in 'Celebrations!' started by Capt Ann, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

In 5 hours, I will test for my black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I will throw about 400+ punches, blocks, and hand strikes, 300+ kicks, demonstrate 43 different self-defense/one-step techniques (mostly at random), answer 100 questions on Korean terms, TKD history, and Korean philosophy, show proficient knowledge of and power in 10 different forms, demonstrate falling and rolling techniques, correctly identify and demonstrate 30+ blocking combinations by the Korean names for the techniques and stances, spar 8 to 12 full-contact rounds with the existing blackbelts, and then demonstrate 5 board breaks. No stopping. No breaks.

Wish me well, pray, and/or send ibuprofen.

2. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Good luck, and remember beer and ibuprofen, ice then heat. :)

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Good luck Capt Ann!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

oooh I got here just in time!

I wish you all the best Ann!

You'll be wearing a new black belt when I see you at the MAP Meet... (and hopefully I too will have a new one when I test for 3rd next month!)

Go show them what you got! ;)

Do well ... and come back when you're rested! ;)

5. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Go Capt Ann!!!!!

Take a full hot bath soak, that will help ease some of the tightness.

6. beef

beef New Member

Good luck!

7. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Good luck Capt. Ann... go get 'em.

:p

8. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I did it!!!!!!

It was 2+ hours of some of the hardest physical work I have ever done. Mentally, I was able to stay focussed, just with the sheer volume of adrenaline.

Originally, 5 people were supposed to test with me. By test day, every one of those five decided to test later. I was under the microscope the entire time, with more 'test graders' than test takers. On the 'plus' side, I think the test went a lot quicker with only one person testing.

The test itself was a comprehensive review of everything covered in every belt test from white belt on up. Everyone who takes the test already 'knows' all the material, and has been tested on it, in pieces, before. I really think that the only purpose of the test is to find a once-and-for-all answer to the question: "Will you quit?" I hate to admit that I was tempted in several places--15 minutes into the test I had a flare up of myasthenia gravis, and I started seeing double through most of the test. I nearly lost my balance totally on two occasions, and had to force my eyes to focus in the sparring so I could tell how far away my opponents were.

I did OK in the sparring (other than taking a knee in the gut that I still feel). Again, sparring wasn't difficult: just the rapid-fire, multi-rounds, no breaks, rested opponents part.

The hardest part of the test was the amount of material. It seemed like I was kicking, punching, blocking, throwing strikes and techniques forever, but there was always more to come. Finally, it was over. Then I could hardly believe I was done.

It was announced that I passed. I won't receive my new belt officially until promotion day on Mar. 11. I am looking forward to it.

Thanks, MAPpers, for all the support and encouragement.

9. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Well Ann, let me be the first to congratulate you on your achievement.

I'm grading for 1st Dan this summer, so I'm just as anxious as you were.

:)

10. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I know you can do it, Jesh, and I will be cheering for you from over here!

Thanks again.

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

From all of us here on MartialArtsPlanet ....

Attached Files:

12. Alberta

Alberta A legend in my own mind.

well done

13. Topher

Topher allo!

Nice one!

Attached Files:

14. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

Congratulations !

Wow, after first reading what you had to do and then reading that you had actually DONE IT I can only say, well done Cpt. Ann and Congratulations on your 1.st dan !! :) :) Reading all of you going for and achieving your black belts gives me tremendous motivation to strive and persevere for mine....

Christian

15. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Congrats Capt Ann! So how do you feel (aside from tired and sore)?

16. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Tired and sore......there is no other side!

17. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

:D I'm happy for you, amie.

18. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Congrats! Now quick- tub, hot water and lots of Epsum salt!

19. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Capt Ann,

Congratulations!!!

:) :) :)

20. freak

freak Valued Member

congrats ann...keep up the hard work!