Today, I put a guy to sleep

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Stevebjj, May 7, 2007.

1. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Never done that before. I locked in a lapel choke from closed guard, got it deep, widened out my elbows and before I could blink, my sparring partner was asleep. I'd say the entire thing took less than 5 seconds. He said, "Wow... that's tight." Then he made a snoring kind of sound. I said, "Dude. Are you going to tap?" And that's when his eyes rolled back. It was a carotid choke. He said afterward that he could breathe and didn't realize he was in trouble.

Since I tapped to a lapel choke in my first tournament, I want to learn more about them offensively, as well as what to look for so I can better defend. So, today I went into sparring looking for a couple, but was hoping to get them more as a way to distract my opponent than any viable submission. Lo and behold! :D

2. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Oh I thought you meant you bored him to sleep :D

3. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

LOL. That's my secret weapon. Hehe. :)

4. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Nice one though pei :D

5. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

uhh...

congratulations?

6. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Sprint, I want to assure you that I didn't do it intentionally. It was deep, and even though I was applying pressure gradually, he didn't tap in time. From talking to him, he said he didn't even have the tunnel vision or light spots that typically warn you that you're getting close to naptime. :)

7. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

yeah its easy to put someone to sleep with a blood choke. any of the collar chokes... especially the clock collar choke.

i actually did it to someone like a year ago while training.

8. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Nice one. I got a guy a few weeks ago to blank out after not tapping to a RNGC. He came to pretty quick though...felt like an ass :)

Yeah people should learn to tap early :p

9. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I swear the weirdest part was that he was snoring... probably from having his mouth guard in. I guess I'm not used to actually getting chokes locked in. I typically have more success with keylocks as a finish. But I'm tired of getting choked, and I figure the best way to understand and defend a choke is to recognize it early. So, dudes are gonna have to learn to tap, I guess! "Oh, this is Steve. He doesn't chok...gack!!!"

10. KempoFist

Was it snoring? Often when you catch a choke, you crush the throat a bit and get that yakking sound, that you may have misconstrued as snoring. You also get that raspy wind sound when you do air chokes on someone.

Did it sound anything like this? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMlGzzWBy10"]YouTube[/ame]

11. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Exactly. I say snoring, but it was that sound that really alarmed me because it did sound like his breathing was obstructed. As I said, fortunately, by the time we got him rolled over and sitting up, he was awake. He must not have been out for more than 5 or 10 seconds total.

12. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Often called a "death rattle".......

Smurf

13. KempoFist

Well then that vid had the hottest death rattle I've ever seen ;)

14. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Helps to watch the vid ........!!!!LOL :) :) :) :)

15. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Being choked to sleep is the funniest sensation ever. When I come to, it feels like I'm waking from a deep sleep. One guy I trained with said it's one of the closest things to death without actually dying, and it sure feels that way. Total serene emptiness...

16. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Interesting description. Todd, the guy who went to sleep, said that he felt like he was actually dreaming when he woke up. Complete disorientation.

17. Terao

Terao Valued Member

might do that to a teacher in school hehe, mind u in french im always asleep anyway lol :Angel:

18. Stalkachu

Stalkachu resU deretsigeR

I've choked one person unconscious by mistake, and the noise was basically a sort of continuation of the hard breathing made by guys trying to escape. Then I saw the eyes go and he kinda began to shake, and I knew that was it. He came around very soon after and he was fine to roll again within a couple of minutes. It's kinda scary when it happens, but meh. Goes with the territory.

Only time it's happened around me so far, to be honest.

Take care,

Stalks

19. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Seen it done but people generally tap out before that happens in class. However on days when we're focusing on chokes/strangles you find that after a few dozen times you feel really woozy and your reaction time to tap tends to be affected.

20. Terao

Terao Valued Member

I barley ever tap the pain doesnt bother me too much after 2 years ive started to enjoy it lol (weird) :D