Toad Sage Training

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Ero-Sennin, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Workout

Tabata:

Exercise1 - Punchouts
    Exercise2 - Sprinters step drill
    Exercise3 - Tried to do a combo between burpees and mountain climbers but I was sweating so much I was sliding all over the matts. Ended up doing BW squats

Exercise4 - Step up and high knee on a 2 ft box

5x1min rnd :)45 break) - Heavy Bag, all power shots and fast paced

Break to rehydrate

8x3 min rnds (1:00 Break) - Jumping rope, Abs during break

1x3 min rnd sparring

**** Didn't log in rest time between starting another tabata set, just started up when I felt ready. Was pretty wasted going into the gym today.

**** Sparring, probably wasn't worth doing.

2. Ero-Sennin

Had to give up training today to . . . . to buy art supplies for school. It was a mental workout, and I left a million products out of place from carrying them from one isle to another and leaving it there. That's what the store gets for not consolidating all their drawing supplies in one area. Now you have 9B pencils and Kneed Erasers all over your Acrylic Paint. And then I went grocery shopping.

Needed a bit of a rest today anyways.

3. Ero-Sennin

Not much done today.

10x3 min rnds :)30 break) heavy bag work
    2x3 min rnds :)30 break) abdominal exercises

Got into a huge fight with the wife and it was a real downer right before I was going to go to the gym. Wasn't even going to go but figured I might as well get a little something in.

As far as taking anything from these sorry behind session, I hit the bag at a pretty fast pace all 10 rnds and wasn't winded. A month and a half ago I would have been drenched in sweat and pretty worked from keeping the same pace for 8 rnds, so I'm definitely progressing in my conditioning.

4. Ero-Sennin

I hate Saturdays. Gym isn't open, weather was horrible today (lots of snow), and more school shopping.

5. Ero-Sennin

Tried to upload a video to youtube so I could post it but I'm not having any luck. Guess I'll have to spend 30 min google fu'ing to do it.

Workout

Tabata - Sprinters step drill

Weights

2x10 (185lbs x 5 -135lbs x 5 explosive)
    1x8 bench press 135lbs explosive

Hang Cleans

1x3 135lbs
    1x3 155lbs
    1x3 170lbs
    1x8 185lbs

Deadlift

1x5 275 lbs
    2x5 325 lbs

2x25lbs wrist curls
    2x9lbs pinch grip reverse wrist curls

Wanted to get a lot of sparring in but nobody was showing up which I'm sure is due to SuperBowl Sunday.

*** Need to start working on wrist strength/durability. Wanted to really work on form for hang cleans at about 155lbs but my wrists were killing me. Weight doesn't feel heavy at all but my wrists are hindering my form to compensate with the catch. Also had to cut bench press short because my shoulder moved to a place it's not supposed to be.

6. Ero-Sennin

Workout

Tabata (each exercise is a tabata round)

Exercise 1 - Punch out on heavy bag
    Exercise 2 - 24 inch box step up w/ high knee
    Exercise 3 - Squat thrusts/slam with 8lb med ball
    Exercise 4 - Mountain climbers

Under 1 min. rest in transition to next exercise

5x1:10 min rnds :)45 break) - all power shot Heavy Bag work, fast pace

3x3 min rnds sparring :)30 rest)

:: Boxing Class ::

What's contained in the boxing class is a normal workout for people who are interested in boxing as a hobby. I have faith that if I did not do the workout beforehand that I could handle the class performing at a high intensity and have plenty left afterwards. Therefore I'm not going to list anything we did, I'm just going to count it as 45 min. of extra fat burning. I did have to stop halfway through to run to the store to get some coconut juice and a banana because I started cramping : P.

** Sparring was good, was surprised at how well I was able to move and not get tired even after the tabata workout. Tabata is to the point where I don't dread it anymore and I need to start implementing some more difficult exercises. Hello BW plyometrics.

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Tabata burpees will make you want to uppercut yourself.

Regarding the clean - A good way to get used to holding heavy weight in the clean is to do a timed hold. Load a barbell up and unrack it as if you were going to do an Oly style front squat and simply hold for time. Try to get the elbows up and get the right hand positioning. 225 might be a good starting weight for you. This'll help you get used to the position as well as developing some strength and flexibility for it.

Keep up the nice work, I enjoy seeing your training.

8. Ero-Sennin

Before I joined the Marines I used Tabata as a means to drop a ton of weight. Between doing 4 tabata exercises x3 times a week and a highly active job hanging sheetrock I dropped 40 lbs in a little over two months. Burpees at that time were a staple tabata exercise for tabata and from my experience . . . it's ALWAYS an exercise you're going to dread doing tabata style. :cry:

With the clean, the thing that sucks is I can't rack any weight (no rack!) to get it up to my chest making me have to actually clean the weight to get it up. I was originally going to leave weightlifting to 2 days a week, but I'm going to add a third in where I use light wait, work on a lot of technique and let my body parts (like my wrists) start building up some toughness. Not as ideal as being able to just hold something like 225 to help toughen up but there is just too much room for error for me to clean that weight up to hold it and possibly injuring my wrist (which would be horrible for boxing). Probably going to be one sloooooowwww process for me.

Thanks for the compliments on my log! It's so much better to log it here then on paper!

9. Ero-Sennin

Way to compliment my workout log and jinx my workout later in the day Kuma! Jeez.

Craptastic Workout

2x3 min rope skip warm up

Bench:

4x8 135lbs explosive bench press (half rep, full rep)

Two Arm Rows:

4x15 70lbs (two 35 lbs plates)

3x25 25lbs wrist curls
    3x20 8lbs reverse wrist curls

HUUUUGEEE break

Some bag work

4x3 min rnds :)30 break) sparring

*** Crappy workout today, didn't feel like crap but my body didn't feel like moving today and there was a million people in the gym along with a kids boxing class going on. Will have to adjust Tues/Thurs gym attendance time.

10. Ero-Sennin

Workout

Ladder Drills

10x Forward Icky Shuffle
    100x speed rope skip
    10x Forward Icky Shuffle
    100x speed rope skips
    10x Lateral Icky Shuffle
    100x speed rope skips
    10x Lateral Icky Shuffle
    100x speed rope skips
    10x Lateral Scissor Switch
    100x speed rope skips
    10x Lateral Scissor Switch
    100x speed rope skips

Core Work Circuit

10x15 lb single arm extended sit-ups (alternate arms after 10, making it 20 sit-ups)
    x20 "reach for the sky" sit-ups
    10x45 lbs - standing side crunches
    x20 superman cobras

-Repeat-

2x3 min rnds :)30 break) - Light heavy bag work, high focus on technique

11. Ero-Sennin

Nothing today. I think I have found my workout scheduling since school started up for me. Thursday is the day I feel a bit crummy and have enough stuff to go over in school to start working on to get a head start for next weeks classes.

I think I underestimated the effects weightlifting was going to have on my body. While my legs are generally fine, the amount of upper body work I'm getting between throwing punches and direct/stability work it's getting from the weightlifting I've noticed I feel crappy in my upper body, find in my lower body. This is why yesterdays workout focused so much on footwork with a little bit of core, that's all I felt I could really benefit from.

That said, I think I'm going to start trying to get up early before class and start getting some running in since I've still been neglecting it. Hoping my upper body will adapt somewhat by next week. That and I hope people get the "sparring bug" next week, because I'm tired of only being able to get 3 or so rounds a night with one person every other day.

12. Ero-Sennin

Workout

10x1 min rnds :)30 break) - Heavy Bag, all power shots, fast-med. pace.

2x8 165 lbs hang cleans
    1x5 135 lbs hang cleans

1x5 min rnd rope skip

Not a lot done today. While my wrists are not able to handle the hang cleans a little better, my grip needs some work. Since I sweat so much and the bar doesn't have a lot of friction I'm relying on my grip power to hold on to the bar entirely. Had to stop doing hang cleans because I'm doing them with iron weights, so if I drop the bar it'll damage the floor.

Wasn't happy with the workout today. I don't know what's going on but my heart rate during the 5 min. rope skipping was around 165 which is WAY higher than what it normally is. Throat was also tightening up/twitching. Been a thing all week for me too, even in school. Wondering if I'm having panic attacks or something?

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Are you hook gripping? It sucks at first as it's not very comfortable, but it pays off big in the end. Grab yourself some chalk too if you can.

[​IMG]

14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Could you be fighting off a low level infection or something? That sort of thing always messes with my heart rate/energy levels.

15. Ero-Sennin

@Kuma

I have never seen that grip. Just in case I'm looking at the picture wrong, the person in the pic. is looping their thumb under their fingers? I'll have to give it a try. If you use it, how does it feel when you're doing powerlifting or when lifting heavier weight in pulling movements?

16. Ero-Sennin

I don't think so. Unless I'm completely battered from hitting the gym 3-4 days in a row I've been feeling amazing, and even when I'm beat I don't feel sick. I have had my heart rate start racing and getting the tightening in my throat all week at different times, this was the first time it happened to me in the gym. My family also has a history of anxiety/panic attacks, and there is definitely a level of anxiety/paranoia that hits me when it happens.

I'm thinking it's my caffeine addictions, possibly augmented with my chewing tobacco addiction that is sparking this. I think I'm getting to a point where I'm demanding a lot from my body and I'm putting it through a lot of extra stress having to deal with ungodly amounts of caffeine and nicotine. I think it's time to start winding down to be au naturale. I foresee withdrawal headaches in my near future.

17. Ero-Sennin

No workout today, maybe minimal activity tomorrow. Explosive, juicy diarrhea is hinting I may be physically ill :p

18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Ewwwww! Poor you - hope you're feeling better tomorrow! :)

19. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Here's a video that explains it well:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=917X3OAYK1A"]BreakingMuscle.com - The Hook Grip - YouTube[/ame]

For pulling movements especially it feels stronger and once you get used to it you'll feel much more secure.

20. Ero-Sennin

Well, I'm starting to WANT to train again, but am still pretty ill. It's a fight just to stay hydrated. Still have diarrhea, urine is quite smelly (probably from dehydration though), but the bouts of nausea are less frequent. Hopefully I'll be back to it by next week. Good thing is, due to lack of appetite I'm not gaining back any of the weight I lost :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.