Toad Sage Training

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Ero-Sennin, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Me starting to post in this has NOTHING to do with no "new years resolution" crap. It's just easier then making a word document or writing it down on paper, and I'm not dealing with a crap ton of other stuff anymore so hopefully I can stick to updating :p

Morning Workout:

5x4 min :)30 break) rounds rope jumping
    6X3 min :)30 break) rounds heavy bag
    6x2 min :)30 transition time) Speedbag/Shadow boxing (alternating during rnds, 3 rnds each)

Evening Workout:

Wanted to spar but hardly anybody was at the gym. Ended up doing an epic warmup (about 20 minutes worth) between hitting the heavy bag lightly/focusing on circling and moving, and the double end bag while waiting to see if anyone would spar. Then the class began.

3x2 min rnds shadow boxing :)45 sec pushup 'break' between rnds)
    5min. rope jump
    4x3min rnds heavy bag work :)30 sec continuous but light punches for rest time)

The rest of the class was me working with a new guy on some basic punches and 5 min. or work throwing either jabs or jab cross while the new guy held the mitt.

I'm pretty disappointed for the evening since I got less then 30 min. of working out, although I did get some experience teaching which I need. Will have to make up for this tomorrow, the evening was pathetic.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. Ero-Sennin

Morning Workout:

1 Tabata Interval - Alternated between Straight Punches on heavy bag and bodyweight squats.

Pyramid scheme for shoulder endurance x 3 sets
    Jab - pyramid from 1 to 10, then 10 to 1 (this is 1 set)
    Cross - pyramid from 1 to 10, then 10 to 1 (this is 1 set)
    25 bodyweight squats after completion of 1 pyramid scheme for jab and cross

1x3 min round forward lunges
    1x3 min round bodyweight squats
    - Intensity level was high for both these rounds, no rest

5x2 min rnds cool down on double end bag

1 stretch per major body parts

* There was no real "rest time" in the entire workout. Straight from tabata to pyramid scheme, straight from pyramid scheme to lunges/squats, then to double end bag work. Cool down on dbl end bag had :30 sec rest intervals. Workout took about a 1hr to complete including cool down and stretching. Pyramid scheme resulted in 300 jabs and 300 crosses being thrown.

Evening Workout:

8x3:30 heavy bag (focus was on either power/speed, or just speed. Was surprisingly exhausting)
    1:30 rest period during heavy bag work in which an abdominal exercise was done for the duration.

2x20 big arm circles with 10lbs weight
    2x24 front arm raises/lateral arm raises with 10lbs weight (12 front, 12 side)

Pushups, pyramid from down from 10 to 1, 20 sec. break between each interval (until I got down to about 4, then it was 2-3 seconds)

** Pushups are so pathetic due to a previous shoulder injury. Found some unconventional stretches that seem to have worked for me over a months time span but this has been the first time I've really done pushups since the shoulder injury. Trying to work them in slowly at the start to avoid soreness that takes away from boxing, as well as not pushing the shoulder too hard yet. That and since I haven't done any chest oriented exercises in probably 8 months due to the shoulder injury . . . pushups are hard as crap : P.

Light stretching

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  3. Ero-Sennin

Lesson: Hard body from hard work (construction) is not the same as hard body from hard work in a boxing gym. Holy crap am I sore.

Morning Workout:

5x4min rnds :)30 break) - jumping rope
    7x3min rnds :)30 break) - Light/medium sparring, bouts of intense sparring for body shots.

1 Hour discussing Marvel/DC comics and comicon with two other guys :p

Evening Workout:

*** Legs are extremely sore so my routine got adjusted to compensate for it. Can't really move around the right way and no sense in developing bad, adjusted footwork to any degree.

Focus of workout - Hand Turnover Speed

8x3 min rnds :)30 sec break) Heavy bag work - 4 rnds per arm, working on throwing consecutive punches with individual arm. Ex: Lead arm - jab, hook, upcut, or low rang hook, hook, upcut, jab, hook.

3x2 min rnds :)30 break) double end bag, same concept as heavy bag but using both hands
    3x2 min rnds :)30 break) speed bag, turning hands over to hit bag at different angles during work

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. Ero-Sennin

Rest day today. I'll probably go walk for an hour or something and do some light stretching to help get rid of the soreness. Looking forward to next week though since I won't be getting as sore anymore : P.

5. Ero-Sennin

5x4 min rnd :)30 break) jumping rope

10x3 min rnd :)30 break) Med-light sparring

4x3 min rnd (1:00 break) Heavy bag (punch out last 30 sec., crunches during break)

Sparring: Most consecutive rnds was 4 straight, 3 straight, 1 and then 2. Lot of work with newer guys trying to get into sparring, body shots were a full speed go, light jabs to the face to keep "hands up" awareness as well as crosses/hooks (very light, more of a touch to let the person know they're WAY open due to focusing on guarding the body too much).

Next rope jumping gets bumped to 5x5 min rnds.

6. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Good to see you back man!

7. Ero-Sennin

Everybody needs to stop updating their training logs daily so I don't have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find mine!! :D

Just one workout today.

5x5 min rnd :)30 break) Jumping Rope. I'm getting pretty slick with some rope tricks!

2x3 min rnd :)45 break) shadow boxing, BW squats during break
    1x5 min shadow boxing (class was jumping rope, 25 min. of it was enough for me)

2x5 min rnd (? break) 100 straight punches, 100 short straight punches for 5 min, then 3 combos during the second 5 min (1.) Jab, Jab, Cross (2.) Jab, Cross, Hook (3.) Jab, Jab, Jab.

(2x5 min rnd holding mitts for partner)

1x10 min rnd heavy bag

10 Min Circuit, 1 min per exercise
    1.) 6 Inch isolation hold leg lift
    2.) Plank
    3.) Pushups
    4.) Jumping Jacks
    5.) Lunges (Quads started cramping at this point)
    6.) Calf Raises
    7.) High Knees in place
    8.) Wall Sit
    9.) BW squats
    10.) Crunches

2x3 min rnds :)30 break) Medium/Intense sparring

** Sparring looked horrible, was exhausted.

8. Ero-Sennin

Morning test run, checking out how my new running shoes feel (big deal for me with my flat feet) and how bad my running is. Went for a mile run on a slightly hilly course.

Time: 9:15. I was almost so embarrassed by this time for 1 mile that I wasn't going to post it. However I couldn't really expect much as I haven't been running in months. I'll probably start hitting mile runs 2 - 3 times a day for a little bit to knock this time down to around 6 min. before I start adding on miles, let my feet adjust to my shoes and let my legs adjust to running. I can't express how pathetic I feel right now.

Afternoon Workout:

Didn't really have a workout. I bought 6 one on one training sessions and although I broke a slight sweat it was all boxing tactics and maneuvering. Other then that I've been catching up on my sleep. I've been averaging about 3 hours of sleep a night the last week and it's starting to take a toll on me, especially in my body's recovery. Went almost right to bed when I got back from training, got 5 hours of sleep and I'll be getting some Nyquill to get even more.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  9. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I haven't run in ages and would expect about the same. Most of it for me is getting a good rhythm and breathing. I read somewhere about 150-180 steps per minute which seem a lot but with a shorter stride it does seem to work, with counting 1-2-3 in my head to set the pace initially until my breathing is more even then I forget it.

10. Ero-Sennin

I think the biggest problem for me running was my mental state. I thought I was "running" but 9 min. is not running, that's jogging. I get all panicy when I run too for some reason (I hate running any sort of distance) and my breathing isn't good at all. My body actually wasn't tired at all, it felt like a warm-up (which is really what it was) but I was breathing like a hippopotamus in heat after it sprint swam 2 miles, killing legions of crocodiles along the way.

The fastest I've ever run was a 19:05 thee mile, and I was usually around 21:00 in the Marine Corps without ever really training to run. I'm pretty disappointed that a short distance like 1 mile took me 9 min. to do. Between focusing on transitioning from a long stride to quicker small steps when needed, breathing, and not feeling like a fish out of water . . . I have a LOT to work on : P.

11. Ero-Sennin

Quick note, I've been averaging about 3 hours of sleep per night with an hour or two nap here and there for the last week. Between feeling tired most of the time and my body not being able to heal well due to the lack of rest I decided to hit up some Nyquil last night. Unfortunately I consumed a quarter of a large bottle on an empty stomach without realizing it and tried to offset what that amount will do to you by consuming a lot of food and water. Didn't help. When it hit, it HIT. I had my phone next to me to call 911 (just in case, I'm rather paranoid about this sort of thing) since my wife is gone on a trip for law school. It was a horrible experience. I use Nyquil to sleep sometimes but never that much and am a little peeved at my lack of responsibility. It wasn't a pleasant experience and I'm still feeling the repercussions today.

Morning Workout:

2x3 min rnds (1:00 break) Double end bag work to warm up, dynamic stretches during break.

3x8 min rnds (1:00 break) heavy bag work, crunches or leg lifts during break.

Started getting fuzzy and lightheaded from previous Nyquil consumption and stopped working out. Pounding water and food now to help clear my systems, hopefully I can get a good workout in this afternoon.

Found this guy looking into Nyquil. http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5622404_happens-much-nyquil_.html Only thing I didn't have was the stomach pain which was probably due to me consuming so much food and fluids. Lucky me. I suppose I can look on the bright side . . . since I live such a clean lifestyle aside from tobacco chew very little of something means A LOT for me so I can use less and save money.

Evening Workout:

5x5 min rnds :)30 break) jumping rope

1x3 min rnd - partner shadow boxing (hopped into the class after rope work)

2x5 min rnds (?:?) Mitt work with somebody who could hold mitts and worked my butt into the ground

1x9 min rnd - heavy bag (was crap due the good mitt work)

10 min random abdominal exercises

Stretch

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  12. Ero-Sennin

Morning Workout:

Purchased some one on one lessons where we're just working on boxing skill, not fitness so this really doesn't qualify as a workout. I need to put it down to go back over it but it's not enough for the "Boxing Journey" thread.

First 30 Min. - Went over some pad work for reaction drills. Keeping your hands inside (like wresting) and firing off a punch with the same hand of the side you get hit. Ex: Opponent in conventional stance throws a lead hook to the body, you block and throw a power side upper cut. Opponent throws a lead hook to the head, you block and throw a cross.

6x3 min rnds :)30 break) sparring.

12 min. review.

Sparring: Worked on the pad work drills with live sparring. Also worked on sticking hard jabs to back my opponent up so I could relax a little, and throwing straight punch flurries while retreating.

Evening workout: (if you can call it that)

Did about 30 min straight on the double end bag. It consisted of moving around, bobbing and weaving, throwing a flurry or jab . . . . nothing intense at all. Did some weights.

Sat in the gangster corduroy chair for an hour at the boxing gym.

One of the most intense workouts yet . . .

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  13. Ero-Sennin

Morning Workout:

Warmup:

5 min shadow boxing. 2 min with small weights, 2 min without weights, 1 min. w/ partner.

1x5 min. rnd jumping rope

Abdominal circuit

Class:

1x9 min rnd. heavy bag

1x6:30 holding mitts

1x6:30 mitt work
    Combos: 1.) Jab 2.) Cross, hook, cross, power upcut 3.) Hook, Cross, Hook 4.) Lead upcut, power upcut, lead upcut, cross hook cross

Easy work, never know what you're getting with the morning class. Was enough to get me going and loosened up but it was definitely a "through the motions" sort of thing. Getting sick so I'm not complaining too hard, got lightheaded during and after every exercise.

Evening Workout:

5x5min rnds :)30 break) rope skipping.

2x3min rnds :)30 break) heavy bag (lost all motivation to continue working out and joined the class)

8 min of various calisthenics changing every 1 min..

1x3 min rnd sparring

Sparring: Didn't get more then 1 rnd because there was some confusion with what was going on with the class. However I got a lot out of it. Sparred with a guy who had went to the gym before, moved, and is now back and has some amateur fights under his belt and has been boxing for a few years. He is also my size/weight class and has a "technical boxer" style which I haven't ran into yet with somebody my size. He cut me off during flurries and I had to work my jab a different way, he took advantage of any time I bobbed towards his strong side and was good with the overhand right. We only had a few intense moments and I can't really base how I would perform over a few more rounds but a few big weaknesses and things to think about were made aware to me. Good little "sampler" sparring round.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  14. Ero-Sennin

Rest day. AKA mass consumption of meat products and sleeping day.

15. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Sounds like the perfect day to me! :)

16. Ero-Sennin

Sparring:

2x2min rnds - work was for the other guy. I just jabbed and moved around. Due to the handicap I got to eat a few shots.

1x3min rnd - sparring with same guy, worked on being more aggressive with the jab and feinting with a cross. Wasn't really different then the first two rounds other then the time and making him work for something a little harder to land a shot on me.

2x3 min rnd- Different guy, no headgear so just body shots until he popped me in the head a couple times. After the first round I just stuck my jab in his face lightly to keep him off me, wasn't getting much work from it as he was still defending his body 100% and my jab could land at will. I also couldn't hit his lead side because his shoulder was hurting.

3x3 min rnd - Finally got some good sparring in. Got to work on everything. Decent pace, got to throw punches and got hit with some good ones. Throwing consecutive punches with the same hand but turning over for different angles was a big benefit. Got reminded to slip/bob to the right side more after I got hit with a couple power shots (I've gotten in the habit to move left because of all the southpaws we have).

Was glad to get some good sparring in at the end, wasn't a great day of sparring though in my opinion.

17. Ero-Sennin

Putting next weeks bulk exercise routines (meaning these exercises will either start out a workout, or will be done when I feel there is nothing else to really work on but I need more work) for reference.

Rope Skipping:

5x3 min rnds. :)30 rest) 20:20:20 or 30:30 scheme. High Knees, fast skipping, regular skipping(resting recovery portion), and double jumps will be the focus, no skipping trick malarkey.

Followed by

3x2 min rnds :)30 rest), 30:30 ratio of BW jump squats and lunges (or just regular BW squats)

Followed by

2x2 min rnds :)30 rest): 40:20 ratio, 40 - Stance Switch from conventional to south paw, 20 - 180 degree stance hop rotations (these are for footwork).

Bag Work:

8x3 min Rnd Scheme :)30 break)

1- Hand turnover speed/consecutive punches on lead arm
    2- Hand turnover speed/consecutive punches power arm
    3- Jab/Cross Counter/Deterrent
    4- Lead hook followed with side step/slip left to avoid cross
    5- Cross with sidestep/slip right to avoid overhand lead/counter cross
    6- Regular bag work focusing on low stance and inside fighting
    7- Normal bag work, punch out last :30
    8- Normal bag work, punch out last :30

*** All bag work includes more then just the labeled focus, but during each round a specific skill is focused on.

***Reminder to self - Work on faking that you're rushing in to get in a clinch and popping back to jab/cross range, both by heavy defensive cover to rush in or by rushing in via flurry.

18. Ero-Sennin

Didn't work out this morning to keep up with my two-a-days. A little disappointed in myself.

Evening Workout:

Warmup: Reflecting on inner hate.

5x3 min rnds. :)30 rest) - rope skipping. Changed intensity and skip method (high knees, heel kicks, fast, slow) every 20 or 30 seconds.

3x2 min rnds (1:00 rest) - 30:30 ratio of BW jump squats and lunges

2x2 min rnds :)30 rest) - 40:20 ratio, 40 - Stance Switch from conventional to south paw, 20 - 180 degree stance hop rotations

(Class)

No rest between rnds
    1x1 min crunches
    1x3 min rnd - shadow boxing
    1x1 min rnd - pushups
    1x3 min rnd - pushups

2x3 min rnds :)30 break) - BW lunges and Squats, alternating

1x5 min rnd - wall sits with various arm poses holding weights.

6x3 min rnds - Heavybag and abdominal work. Scheme was 1 rnd bag, 1rnd sit-ups while punching stomach alternating for all 6 rnds

Mitt work- Wasn't great, didn't have experienced mitt holder

1x6 min rnd
    Combos - 1.) Jab 2.)Lead hook, cross, lead hook, power upcut 3.) cross, hook, cross 4.) Lead, Power, lead up cuts, cross, hook, cross.

1x6 min rnd holding mitts

3x3 min rnds :)30 break) Sparring.

*** Sparring was good, got to work everything, not anything significant to take from it but got some confidence in applying some things I learned the last few sessions of sparring.

19. Ero-Sennin

Morning Jog: - 2 miles - 21:30

** 10:45 mile pace for jogging is definitely my "get the blood pumping and start sweating" pace but it definitely didn't give my lungs much to do. It took all of me stopping and 5 seconds for my breathing to go back to normal. Was a good jog in the oh-so-pleasant rain though. Feet, ankles, calves and shins need to start getting used to the impact. Will probably keep hitting 2 mile jogs for a couple days to start conditioning these areas before I start implementing Fartlek training and working on maintaining an actual running pace. Can't wait, said no one ever.

Morning Workout:

First 40 minutes of session - Reviewed stuff from last week, went over some tactics stuff based on the sparring I had done the last couple of days, nothing too crazy. Biggest thing I took was the concept of letting your opponent waste some energy punching you while you rested by closing shelling up. Not going to write anything in detail in this thread about this.

3x3 min rnds :)30 rest) sparring

Review on sparring

2x3 min rnds :)30 rest) sparring

Evening Workout:

Some days you do absolutely nothing that you planned on working on when you go to the gym. Was going to try and hit some Tabata and weight training revolving around developing explosiveness but ended up sparring pretty much all night.

Total Rnds Sparring: 13

Consecutive Rnd Scheme - 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2. :)30 sec breaks)

Rnds warming people up - 4

Rnds I didn't get much from - 3

Good rnds, ranging from Medium to Med. w/ intense moments - 6

Got taught to not be overconfident and walk into somebody who I stalked into a corner. Learned what it felt like to have a real good upcut to the chin and the right side of my jaw will be sore tomorrow. Other then that I'm happy with my endurance as far as sparring at the level of intensity I was going. I would definitely put myself at about 3x3 min rnds going all out before I start having serious issues protecting myself which is where I need to be to start competing, just have to keep with it and keep shedding the body fat : P.

** I have sparred a total of 29 rnds since Sun (Start of my training week), 12 of them what I would consider good sparring that had a sparring partner that was near, equal, or better then my skill level. I'm pretty happy with that, need to start trying to get more rnds really worth doing though.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  20. Ero-Sennin

Well, I went to the gym today this morning. Didn't workout though because the owner had to close up to do some business things. Ended up not heading back in the evening. Woke up sore as crap with a stiff jaw and sore face to accompany it. Started feeling a little cruddy too so I'm going to chalk today up as a rest day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.