Toad Sage Training

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Ero-Sennin, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Back is starting to act up a little from work but I was able to make it to the gym. Aspirin, Ice, heat, bengay and early bed time tonight.

12min warm up - double end bag/super light heavy bag work

4x10 115lbs dead lift
    4x10 15lbs arnold press

About 40 minutes of stretching

Bumped the weight up on dead lifts, wasn't going to push anything because my back acting up a little. Hopefully all the stretching makes it feel alright tomorrow.

I feel like such a wuss with my training volume/weightage

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Don't feel down man, you're doing the smart and right thing. Ease in now, and come back full force later.

3. Ero-Sennin

I am extremely interested to see what develops application wise in sparring with working nothing but 'hand turnover speed' and accuracy training for two weeks straight (assuming I'll be up to sparring next week). If it was like my Jab which I took two weeks to throw probably 2-3,000 of in the course of two weeks . . . it'll be interesting. My jab took a night and day difference by focusing strictly on it to the point where people are weary of it while sparring, so hopefully I'll be able to throw up cuts turned over to crosses and jabs in an instant when I'm better. That would be pretty amazing, especially if they land : P.

4. Ero-Sennin

Wow. I hope at some point I can aspire to the mental fortitude and determination this guy had for 1 minute of his life.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Oh MY Oh MY (Mitch obviously missed this one!)

Hardcore gym is hardcore!!!

6. Ero-Sennin

Lol, I scurried over and edited it myself before I got in trouble twice : P

7. Princess Haru

You wimp:fight3:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2012
  8. Ero-Sennin

You're such a gem Haru :love:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2012
  9. Ero-Sennin

No training today. Going to have to probably work 12 hours tomorrow due to the people I work for not being able to plan correctly for anything with scheduling the work week. Sometimes I wonder if they are in business to make money or just do something during the day? Doesn't matter to me as long as I'm working though since I'm an hourly guy, but I can't help but get peeved at the incompetence (which I know everyone thinks about their boss, but mine call "rain days" on sunny days this week and we worked on the days it actually did rain, and it screwed the entire schedule up to have to now push a 12 hour day).

Really wanted to write in my log about my back for future injury related reference.

Physical therapy stuff . . . do it. My back was bothering me pretty good yesterday after work but I still managed to go to the gym. I pretty much warmed up, light deadlifted and stretched. My back was suspicious after the workout and when I woke up, but once I started working and loosening up my back wasn't a strong issue today although I still had to be mindful. I even went to the store tonight and for the first time while I was carrying my groceries I realized I wasn't even thinking about my back and how I should carry the groceries because it wasn't bothering me.

I'm still cautious, but I think making sure I worked the muscles out lightly and stretched real good last night definitely has part to do with healing a little quicker then what I probably would without. The way things are going though I have a long weekend coming up (it's some type of holiday Monday) and I think I'll be good to get back to sparring and training -harder- next week. I might even do deadlifts with 135lbs for sets of 11 : P.

10. Princess Haru

It's good to know about how injuries come and go, what works and how long it can be around. I was really stuck with elbow pain last year whenever I squatted could barely hold the bar, and it took ages to go away but doubt I logged when. My back screamed one time after trying a rxed version of a SeikenSteve challenge, included Snatch Deadlifts, Shrugs and KB Swings. I know you'll laugh but there is a quite knowledgeable guy on Fetlife in one of the fitness forums, knows a lot about Crossfit and why doing most of those WODs are fundamentally flawed

11. Ero-Sennin

Nothing to post for most of the week. After Tues. I was working a lot and didn't want to push my back. I literally would be working, scurry to boxing, scurry home and sleep less then 8 hours and then back to work. Back was doing pretty well this week though with work.

Today though, my back has been doing great. I can't bend over really quickly still but rotational movement doesn't really hurt. I went to boxing and the only thing that caused me to notice my back was hard hooks and up cuts. No pain though, just tension that's not normal so I didn't go too hard. All I really did in the gym was hold the mitts for one of the regulars and:

4x3min rnd heavy bag work
    2x3min rnd double end bag
    45sec rest time doing lunges

This is the first time I really hit the heavy bag though and my quickness with real punches has gone up as well as the accuracy of the punches. I was mostly goofing off but I had probably 6 minutes of serious work and it was feeling really good. I also got complimented on my footwork today by the instructor and was told, "you're the example of hard work pays off" so that stroked my ego a little bit : P.

Excited for next week, excited to spar as I think my back will be fine by next Tues (Mon. is labor day). I'll actually have decent stuff to put in my workout log : P.

12. Ero-Sennin

Well today was a bit of a disappointment. Nobody showed up while I was at the gym who was interested in sparring so I didn't get to spar tonight.

Warmup
    3x3min shadowboxing in ring, working more on footwork/head movement

4x8 185lbs deadlifts
    4x10 25lbs plate curls (I bend over and keep the bicep/shoulder in constant tension and curl towards the midline of the body with my elbow flared laterally. The weight plate puts a lot of extra tension on the forearm)
    3x10 - 135lbs bench press
    3x10 - 15lbs flys
    2x2min heavy bag, power/speed combos only

Did some random skill related stuff here and there just hanging out in the gym but not worth mentioning.

I can't help but think somebody is reading my log and thinking "wow . . . this guy is week as hell." These are all laughable weights for me for serious weight training, but just enough to start working the nervous system and get the muscles a little sore but not too much for me. I still have to work landscaping in the morning and I'm still taking training slow with recovering from my back injury. I haven't been touching many weights the last few months so I'm not trying to dive back into them : P.

13. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

How much do you weigh?

Those weights are looking pretty impressive to me right now, considering you are deadlifting my bodywieght plus more.

14. Ero-Sennin

Right now I'm probably sitting around 235. I have some chub that I've gained due to lack of discipline and various life situations/changes/depression but if you saw me walking down the street you wouldn't think "that guys chubby" if that gives you a picture of my physique. I'm definitely not fit looking, but I definitely don't look like a slop. I've very sensitive about this. : P

I've been big into weightlifting since I was 16, and haven't went into a gym the last . . . . 6 years or so and haven't been able to deadlift at least 400lbs so working with the small weights I am now is a little disheartening but my back is too important. I feel like I'm coming off as a boastful piece of toilet paper, but having to be as weak as I am currently because of my back healing really wears on me. Even slowing down at work and carrying 1 or 2 bags of mulch instead of 3 makes me feel weak and a bit insecure : P.

15. Ero-Sennin

Warm up:

Rope jumping, double end bag. 12 min. between the two.

Pyramid/conditioning scheme.

2:30 rounds - 30 sec break/time to take off gloves in transition from bag to weights.

10 Rounds

2:30 Heavy Bag Work (6 rounds)
    2:30 - 95lbs standing barbell press (10-9-8-7-6-5 pyramid)
    95lbs x 15 shrugs
    10 lunges
    10 "alternate stance footwork" drill
    10 "180degree spin"

If I had an extra amount of time in the weights/footwork area I repeated the last two exercises.

Was a pretty good workout. I did the lunges with the 95 lbs for the first two sets but it was really buggering my shoulder so I started doing it with no weights. I found the that mentality I have when I'm tired pushing weights is entirely different when I'm tired hitting the bag or working on footwork. I start getting mean with the weights and push through, and on the non-weight stuff I tend to try and conserve. It opened my eyes to the mindset I need to start carrying over to my boxing work about pushing through pain.

Nobody showed up for sparring and a new instructor was running the class. It was very basic stuff so I decided to work out on my own so I would get something out of going to the gym. I'm getting pretty disappointed with the lack of people to spar. It's not always like that but this week has been a slow one with serious people in the gym. I'm hitting a "all I want to do is spar" phase and nobody has been around to spar : (.

16. Ero-Sennin

Warm Up

2x3min jump rope
    1x3 min double end bag

2x3min rnd sparring
    Rnd 1 - Worked on foot movement, angles and bobbing/weaving. Sparring partner is a No0b to sparring so I didn't throw anything.
    Rnd 2 - same guy, started throwing body shots and bullying him into a corner.

2x3 min "get out of the corner" drills with the guy I was sparring. 3 min. rnd, He would hit me in the corner and I would get out 3 times and then we would switch.

6x3 min rounds heavy bag work with bag mitts.

Pretty easy workout today, nothing crazy but I got nice and loose. I'm working on "socializing" in the gym to try and get more people to spar and not think going in the ring means you're going to get knocked out.

What I took from sparring today is how to set up a punch to the ribs/kidney as far as hand/eye coordination, angle of the punch, and 'seeing' the opening to strike there while working with my sparring partner during working on getting out of the corner. Although I throw a lot of body shots their while clinched up with somebody I'm starting to look at it as hitting those areas with an up cut and a bit of distance between me and the other guy.

17. Ero-Sennin

I don't even know how to log in this "workout"

I warmed up for a looooong time because my body is so stiff and got pretty loose. It pretty much consisted of double end bag and heavy bag but after 1x3 minute round of each I started going pretty hard. I have no clue how many rounds of each that I did. I would estimate I rotated between the heavy bag and double end bag for about 20 minutes.

I then took one of the new guys and worked on throwing punches the correct way. Then we did some drilling for 4-5 rounds (again, didn't count). What we did because the ring was taken up with the class going on, was one person work on defense (bob/weave, parry, block) while the other just threw light combos or single punches at the other person. We rotated through roles. It was more just working on muscle memory stuff for me but I'm sure it will benefit the guy I was with a lot as he's now having to get used to real distancing, footwork and maneuvering rather then just bag work.

I then sparred two rounds. One with an average guy, one with a good guy. I tried out some different punches and combos and landed quite a few so I added to my arsenal which is ALWAYS good. My up cuts are getting MUCH more accurate and damaging. I also got to work heavily on counter punching.

It wasn't a really hard workout today as far as gaining endurance, speed or strength but it was definitely a "refining and applying" day. I'm looking forward to resting up for Saturday and getting back at it on Sunday. I have some pretty good ideas for what I want to do for lifting on Sunday and I think my body is going to hate me for it : D.

18. Ero-Sennin

Warm Up:
    1x3min rnd double end bag
    1x3min rnd heavy bag

3x10 205lbs deadlift (30 sec break between sets)
    4x10 145lbs bench press (rapid pace benching)
    3x10 70lbs single arm rows

3x3 min rnd heavy bag
    3x3 min rnd double end bag
    3x3 min rnd speed bag

Figures I'm going to start inching my way towards some weightlifting goals so I have something to try and achieve. Goal will be:

3x12 315lbs Deadlift
    3x12 225lbs Bench Press
    3x10 165lbs Military Press
    And getting back to being able to push out 20 BW pull-ups again with no problem. Will look at adding weight to pull ups once I get there again.

So those are my new goals, not normal ones by most weightlifting standards. My estimate is it will take 3 months to reach all of them, around or a little under 2 with the deadlifts , military press and pull ups. I've never been big on the bench press and haven't been serious about developing since I was about 17 yrs old so that is going to be my biggest hurdle.

19. Ero-Sennin

Boxing Class

5 min Abs

9 Minutes Shadow Boxing with a partner

10 minute mitt work/10 minute holding mitts work

3 minutes heavy bag (was 9 but I had to use the RR in a way I had to take my wraps off, so I had to put them back on too so it took a minute)

3 rnds sparring. 1 rnd with a decent sparring partner who knew what they were doing. We were "going easy" but there were a few heated moments. I got caught with some stuff and I caught my partner with some stuff. Didn't take advantage of a lot due to we were supposedly taking it easy.

2 rnds with new guy to sparring. Learning that it can get a little difficult holding back and then trying not to get hit while trying to still be active with limited tools. Caught him with some real stiff jabs, annoyed that I couldn't throw my right due to preset rules after a jab and I ended up taking a few punches because of it following my jab.

Today was nothing special. The instructor was going to spar today but after the late class and I didn't have time to stick around. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Hopefully I can get some good sparring in before I do my workout.

20. Ero-Sennin

Warm Up:

Goof off hitting the bag and socializing. (Does that count as warming up?)

7 Rounds sparring

1st- warm up round because sparring partner (instructor) needed to warm up
    2nd and 3rd - Good sparring with instructor
    4th/5th - Sparring with new guy (I bought him a mouthpiece because that's what was holding him back . . . nuh uh! No excuses now!)
    6th/7th - Sparred again with instructor. 70% really working on throwing/landing combos and trying new stuff out.

I got more tired thinking hard and working on different stuff in the last two rounds then I did the first 5 and it wasn't because the amount of sparring was wearing on me. Definitely need to start really thinking during sparring more often to null the fatigue I get from it.

Pyramid/conditioning scheme.

2:30 rounds - 30 sec break/time to take off gloves in transition from bag to weights.

10 Rounds

2:30 Heavy Bag Work (6 rounds)
    2:30 - 95lbs standing barbell press (10-9-8-7-6-5 pyramid)
    95lbs x 15 shrugs
    10 lunges
    10 "alternate stance footwork" drill
    10 "180degree spin"

I got caught in a conversation during the workout portion so it wasn't as intense. Also added the double end bag into some of the rounds instead of the heavy bag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.