To wear or not to wear.

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by herbert, Nov 5, 2007.

1. herbert

herbert Valued Member

Agreed as far as the students go.

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Not sweaty in the sense men get sweaty!:D

It isn't a horribly tight vest ,certainly isn't lycra and it has the club logo in black and white-it looks smart! I don't like wearing men's t-shirts- they are too baggy and uncomfortable and not found any women's fit tshirts that are good enough.

3. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Also the fact that in general round neck T-shirts on women are highly unflattering.

Gotta look good:p :Angel:

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I was trying not to say that in case I got called shallow!!!! :p

I know a guy that does TSD and they seem a little more concerned with uniforms and logos than actually competing. :confused:

5. forever young

forever young Valued Member

Really!!! this is quite an interesting view altho personally i believe the opposite in that unless they were born circa 1900s they in my experience dont wear any kind of 'silk' or traditional clothing at all in fact i would say in my experience that it really seems to be the western practitioner who gets hung up on traditional kung fu uniforms and 'looking the part' while the chinese guys tend to at most wear a tee shirt with the club logo or something similar. i feel a quote from my sigung is applicable here.......
    anyways just my 02

6. watts

watts Valued Member

In China 'back in the day' people just wore there everyday clothes to train in, in the 21st century some non-chinese people want to wear 19th century fashions to train in, weird.

7. Ciar2001

Ciar2001 New Member Supporter

Okay.

8. watts

watts Valued Member

I don't nose why they are not wearing traditonal kung fu suits! they must b fakers!!!11!!!!11!!

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-nzYelB89Q[/ame]

and this old dude is wearing a vest!!!!!! OMG!

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RXDCVNxGg7M[/ame]

9. RAGINGbuddha

RAGINGbuddha Valued Member

I almost didn't get to fight in a recent tournament because I guess I was wearing the "wrong pants". Apparently athletic pants aren't suitable enough for sparring matches even though the people from the other rings are wearing them and fighting with no hassle. When I argue with the sifus/judges, they told me it was about etiquette above anything else which is pure b.s. since some the judges were wearing jeans and flashy sneakers explaining what rules and tradition means. Besides the fact that the tourney itself was a spectacular mess. I was told to either switch pants with my training brother who happens to be wearing the right "kung fu pants" or just sit down and get ripped off $55. Just to show you how petty, pretentious jerks even sifus can be.

As far as it goes uniforms are probably the last necessity when it comes to martial arts. I don't see how wearing a particular outfit will automatically make you a better fighter. Comfort is most important and i regularly train in jeans and t-shirt. School t-shirts are fine but the traditional wear really kinda gets out of place. As someone of Chinese descent I do find it a tad ludicrous for Westerners to wear clothing that Chinese people haven't commonly wore for almost a century and help turn it into a kung fu niche wear. For nowadays I can probably imagine elderly Chinese folks would wear the qing-style robes + jackets on new year's, festivals or weddings. I also realized its also another set of revenue from students to buy the uniform directly from the school. All in all, not a big fan of the uniforms.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  10. beknar

beknar Valued Member

time to get real

Okay guys, time to get real. The fact is, those of us on the KF board on MAP consist of a very particular group of CMA guys. Very particular. Everyone here spars. Everyone. Nearly everyone either cross-trains or believes it's a good thing to participate in. Very few of us think that a one dimensional fighter can do well against someone who's trained in and can move in all ranges. All of us value combat ability, the ability to fight _above_ anything else in our art.

But what about the guys who NEED to get as many students as they can? We're not talking about a McDojo, we're talking about maybe a legitimate school that needs to pay the bills in order to teach. Ah, that's it then, paying the bills. Let's face it. A lot of people who come to our kwoons just want to dance. They want to get in shape. They want to get in touch with their universal peace. How many actually want to be put into a situation where they might get hit, get hurt?

They have no choice. Their schools must be presentable, they must be able to attract people in as many marketing segments as possible. So they wear the uniform and we call them McKwoons, McDojos and maybe they give us a bad name. It is a business decision.

Some guys can make it work. They have the little dragons out in front and they have the Pain Pit in the back of the school. Others absolutely refuse to water their art down. They are with very few exceptions .. poor. But the students that they do have? Fanatically loyal and dedicated.

Ugh, I didn't mean for this to be a diatribe about martial arts and business. Maybe that deserves its own thread.