To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by matveimediaarts, Jun 9, 2015.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Well, now! Today the Windows people sent me a message via Windows updater offering me an opportunity to reserve a copy of Windows 10. It will automatically download as soon as it is available. Should I do it? I haven't heard anything about the good and bad of it, and you know what they say about things that sound too good to be true. Thanks, mates! :)

2. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Wait till it comes out youll be crying if you buy it now and it stinks.

3. matveimediaarts

4. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I've been running it for probably 4 or 5 versions now. It's much better than Win8 and it's free ! It feels like Win 7 and looks a bit like 8, but much easier to use.

5. matveimediaarts

Have you had any compatibility issues with hardware or software? I use some rather specialized programs for graphic art, music engraving, and sound recording/engineering and hardware like graphic tablets and USB mics.

6. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

We have the start menu back... I'm upgrading... after I finish weeping with joy :cry:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lao99kpmfcI"]Windows 10 First impression and Review - YouTube[/ame]

7. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Whoever came up with the Win8 GUI should be shot.
    I am thinking about the Win10 upgrade as well. Would be interesting to see how well it works with my 8 year old Core2Duo.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

lol @ all you losers and your PCs.

#Mac4eva

9. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Zero issues with compatibility, but I am not running those types of programs.

10. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Apple is laughing all the way to the bank :)
    These days, your apple is just a rebranded PC with intel inside :D

11. matveimediaarts

Nowadys there's not a lot of difference between them. The primary difference, IMO, is that Macs are vastly overpriced. I got my computer graphic design CCL using macs and use a PC at home-so I don't have any particular bias (normalcy or otherwise) comparing them. The big downside with Macs, IMO, is the closed architecture. It would be great to build souped-up hot rod Macs cheap. I reckon Mac prices would come down faster with open architecture.

Even the days when Apple fanboys could brag about having fewer bugs and viruses are gone now. A mac ate one of my important homework assignments when I was in design school. Fortunately, my prof let me drop that project and be graded on the others.

Apple is more a yuppie status symbol than a practical alternative to PCs now. /shrugs

12. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yeah... well... I'm going to stand over here with my yuppie Mac, and my yuppie polo neck, and my yuppie fairtrade soya mocha-latte with extra foam, and continue to judge all of you.

14. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

Or you could go... Linux!!!! It's progressed really well the last couple of years and many distros are pretty simple to use.

I'll be updating my winbox as soon as I find the time to back it up and can do the upgrade properly. But then, I'm in the minority that liked Win8, so maybe you don't want to listen to me.