To the tkd ladies! (pregnancy & training)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by gemtkd, Aug 14, 2006.

1. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

thanx for posting the scan. it's really adorable. :)

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Hey "TKD ladies", thanks for the updates on your pregnancies and how it is afffecting your training.

Do come back and keep us posted .... as it might benefit other TKD ladies who might be thinking of starting a family and continue to train.

3. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Sorry to hear about the rough patch of nausea/vomiting; that's a bummer! Yeah, I would stop/slow training too in your situation. It's best just to listen to what your body is telling you...throwing up is a good sign that you need more rest (otherwise it can cause dehydration issues). Hopefully it will pass very soon for you!

Do you see a chiropractor? This is the first pg that my low back and SI joints haven't become inflammed early on...the only thing I'm doing differently is going to the chiro. Just a thought :) .

LOL, no worries about the showing early...I always do too...usually between 13 and 15wks (although I get that "fat look" pretty early...in that stage now :rolleyes: ).

Something I realized before I tested was that my belt might not go twice around in a few months :eek: ! So I ordered a bigger size...my SIL said I could use her belt if I need to (it's two sizes bigger than my usual...she's not a big person, she just likes her belts to hang longer...she's a couple ranks ahead of me). I'm actually concerned about my shirt...I may have to order a bigger size in that too. I really do get huge so we'll have to see. It's going to look so funny wearing my belt under my big belly :D .

I think there might be another competition this fall and I'm considering entering in forms and breaking. I'm excited about it because I love competition and I was concerned I wouldn't be able to participate once pg but now that I am pg I don't see why not (I'm definitely going to get my midwife's green light first though!).

Hey kickchick, we'll try to keep all those TKD preggo ladies and future preggo ladies informed :D .

Kelly

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  4. ClumsyFoot

ClumsyFoot ITA - Intnl. TKD Alliance

This father of three heartily concurs with KickChick's comment. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  5. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

it's a sticky now. so just keep on posting. i'm sure it'll come in handy. :)

6. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Well I have been making an attempt to train. Mostly helping out though as I'm still ill and tired!!! guess I'm one of those women who don't bloom. all the same I'm going to take up pregnant yoga to keep me at some level of fitness!!

7. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Id give up on the training now, because when the sprog pops out you can kiss goodbye to any free time!! :p

Only kidding, congrats! hope everything goes well, and as soon as the little gremlin can walk i want it doing 100 roundhouse kicks with each leg ;) :)

8. ember

ember Valued Member

I competed, forms and techniques, last year. Only issue was, every KSW form I've learned yet includes a jump, so I had to modify slightly. Also, I was quite careful with what techniques I picked, more "joint lock" than "throw".

What kind of breaking, though?

9. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Hey Gem, I can relate to the difficulty with training. At my last appointment my blood pressure was 90/50...that would explain the light-headedness, shortness of breath and weakness :rolleyes: . I'm hoping it's just an early second trimester thing and passes very very soon! When I get to class I feel really tired but by the time class is over I'm energized and am so glad I went.

It's good to hear you're taking some steps to keep in shape. I've thought about picking up a few work-out DVDs for pregnancy. I have a treadmill and plan on using it throughout the winter...I haven't had the fortitude to get started yet. I don't think I've quite got the energy reserves at this point; seems like a lot of pregnancy is just listening to your body. It's not the time to push myself!

ember, I wasn't able to participate in the competition because of a prior family engagement BUT I did get to do a demo last night. It was great...absolutely loved it. I'm only a 6th gup so I'm not required to do anything all that stenuous in regards to breaking anyway. I chose to do a running side kick with the back leg...didn't take much effort. I broke at my test a few weeks ago using a running axe kick with the back leg.

I'll be 13wks tomorrow and actually feel MORE flexible than I was before...thank you pg hormones :D . I'm still doing everything I was except sparring and flying kicks. Class is 3 times per week but I've cut back to twice per week and do the 3rd class occasionally.

Anyway, that's my update. Gem, I hope the fatigue and sickness ease up for you soon. I have more feeling good days now but still get a few blah days here and there.

Kelly

10. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Glad to hear your felling good now Kelly!! And still training, which I miss very much!

Well I'm 18 and 1/2 weeks at the moment!! Sickness and tiredness will not leave me alone it would seem. My instructor has suggested I don't train until after the baby's born!! Which btw I'm having a girl!!! Woo!! I'm also finding pain in my lower side which I thought was kicking but read my book which said I wouldn't feel real kicking only what they call "quickening" so I'm trying to get through to my midwife to ask her opinion!!

Not feeling flexible, or good an any way and my back's given up completely. I'm trying to get a chiro appt, but they want £150 just to look at me and I can't afford that!! And I sleep pretty much constant (well I would if it wasn't for work).

Well thats my update!! hopefully the next one will be more positive!!

11. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Congratulations on your little girl :Angel: !!!

I'm sorry to hear about your physical issues...I really do hope they resolve for you soon so you can enjoy the rest of your pg.

That pain in your lower side is probably your ligaments stretching...I've been having some twinges on and off for the past week. Sometimes it downright hurts! What did your midwife say?

Things are going good here. I'm starting to seriously wonder if my belt is going to wrap twice after the holidays :p . I've still got some slack but I'm not sure if it's going to last very long.

I just passed the 3 month mark (yaaay, in my 4th month) and am definitely noticing my abdomen more during kick drills and stretching. It's not in the way yet but I feel like I have to squish the baby to get a good stretch :D .

I was doing some jump kicks today but had to make sure I didn't get too far off the ground. We did jump back kicks on the bag and that was a little more jarring than I would have liked...I'll ask if I can use the kid's bag when doing bag work from now on.

I think the hardest part about going to class is watching everyone spar...I miss it so much. I'm trying to take the opportunity to "watch and learn". My instructor and his wife are going to the national competition this weekend and I was really hoping to be able to go too (as a competitor)...maybe next year. I miss competing (I've only done it twice but loved every minute of it both times).

My low blood pressure symptoms seem to be resolving. I read that drinking liquid chlorophyll helps and started that up a week ago...not sure if that's what's doing it for me or not; I'm just glad to be able to do spin kicks again without feeling whoozy :D .

My instructor hasn't said too much to me about training and my pg. He just gives the "be careful" look every once in a while. I've appreciated his allowing me to continue at my own pace. He very easily could have said absolutely not due to liability.

Well, I'm hoping to hear soon that you're feeling worlds better; pg is a wonderful thing but it sure can make you feel awful :D :love: !

Kelly

12. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I was wondering if anyone has any exercises for my legs that I can do at home? I'm not training anymore and feel I' losing what muscle I had. Any exercises for any part of the body would be helpful actually.

Cheers
    Gem :)

13. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Believe it or not you can still do the king of all exercises .... the squat, along with lunges.

This site has examples of some lower body exercises that you can do while pregnant barring any forseen physical restrictions
    http://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/pregnancy-exercise.asp?ex=lower

There is also some core exercises featured as well as stretching demos to retain your flexibility while away from training!

Good luck to you gem .... its difficult having to be away isn't it? :)

14. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Squat?!?!?!?!?! With a baby in your womb!?!?!

That sounds safe..... :p

Perhaps if you use BABY weights! HAHAH PUN!!!!!!!! :p

15. Lily

Lily Valued Member

I've seen a pregnant woman do shoulder stands, yoga asanas involving squats, balance and inverted positions. Damn cool!

16. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Punny Naughty! Real Punny!

17. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hahahaha what a funny thought! :D i wonder what the child would say, if one day, his mom said that she used him/her for a work-out session :D

18. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

I've decided to stop participating in class after this month (I'll be 5 months at that point). My center of gravity is changing faster than I can keep up and it's harder to balance during kicks and forms. I'm also unable to do any jumping kicks or even running kicks of any kind anymore (well, I can do them but not safely :) ).

My son will still attend and my daughter will be starting in January. So I'll be with them at the gym for 2hrs...I'm hoping to use that time IN the gym using mostly the machines and maybe some very light weights.

I've been keeping in shape by doing various exercises with an exercise ball (came with a DVD) and using a "torso track" (my 5 year old son actually spotted it at a second hand store and wanted it...LOL...he's kind enough to let me use it whenever I'd like :) ). I also have a treadmill but haven't used it much...I'm hoping to get into a routine with it soon.

I feel great (I have some mild sciatic issues but hopefully the chiro will help with that) and other than having a big belly in my way I don't feel hindered too much :D .

I'm seriously going to miss class A TON though. I haven't sparred in almost 5 months and I really miss it :cry: . It's going to be tough when competition season rolls around and everyone is going. It'll be great to be able to watch but man is it hard when you want to be in there so badly!

I'm already looking forward to attending class again but most likely will do my training at home until the baby is between 3 and 6 months (I breastfeed exclusively for at least 6 months so until baby will stay happily with Dad I'll have to wait). I'm hoping to get a bag to hang in the garage...I love bag work-outs! Thankfully shadow boxing requires nothing and I think it'll help when I get back into sparring.

In the meantime I'd like to train my upper body to be crisp and snap in my forms...especially my blocks. I'm hoping too to learn more about TKD in general...where it came from, where it's at and where it's going. I feel like there's so much that I can be doing even if I'm not participating in the physical aspect of the art.

Well, I hope to keep hearing from you Gem!!

Kelly

19. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

good luck with everything :)

20. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

just when I thought everything was starting to go well!! I had a little spotting the other day and a bit of cramp, I called my midwife who sent me straight to hosp, so this morning I have to call to get another ultrasound as they think I might have a low lying placenta!! I've read about this and it doesn't look good at all!! Anyone had this experience or similar?