To the ladies of MAP!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by karate princess, Feb 24, 2007.

?

Do you wear make-up to class?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    58.1%
  3. Sometimes

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

did'nt you two see my post?????????????? :D

2. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Rhea the worst thing is I get paired up with the new girls (being the only girl myself) so I'm the one washing makeup of my gi sometimes :bang:

g-bells, sure did and I love you for it :D

3. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

What a suck up! :D

4. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Hater :p

5. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

thats what happens when you give men posting rights!

Lily, it's a pain , so I mostly have a quiet word with new girls and tell them to remove it.

6. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

7. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

and I'm not?
    ;-)

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I'm surprised to see that people have an issue with it in the first place. I'm all for squeezing as many women as possible into martial arts classes, makeup or not. There aren't enough as it is!

9. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Yohan, I don't have an issue with it (I do have light makeup on sometimes if I'm coming from work but its a non-issue as I've proven my commitment to the dojo).

Its more the fact that we've had twits who expressly come in thinking its a social (i.e. they've watched a class, seen the hot guys and thought make up would be a good idea). I know every single man at my dojo have avoided, laughed and made fun of these types of girls and don't partner them (unless told to). I have been kind, welcoming etc. to the girls, I'm desperate to have more girls at the dojo...but none of them last. The pain, the sweat, the hard work tend to drive them away too. Painted faces don't last.

10. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i am woman here me roar

Attached Files:

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I completely agree Lily, women do get put off by the unglamouresness (new word?) of it all. If I do go with makeup on from work its literally tinted moisturiser and waterproof mascara.
    I don't go to try and impress them with my looks,just with my d34dly skills!

12. Lily

Lily Valued Member

g, what are you? The official cheerleader for the girls? :D

I have to say though, I wouldn't mind if some of the guys wore mascara at my dojo :p

13. AllieB

AllieB Valued Member

nope but if i did it would get all over my white gi and then id sue cover girl for all thier worth!!!!!
    jk

14. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Obviously, if its normal levels, most men wont even notice it :p.

Coming straight from work, with your basic stuff (sorry, I dont know names) is fine. Getting dolled up before you spar isnt ;).

15. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Okay, just wanted to clear that up. Women cop enough as it is (she's a tomboy, she's too soft, she's too girly, she's not here to train seriously, does she think she can outdo a man etc.)

16. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Yeah, women just shouldn't do martial arts

17. NaughtyKnight

I dont know about the guys at your gym, but we dont whisper about women in the corner like that. Trust me, if we are all talking about a chick, it isnt about the fact that she is a tomboy or that she's too soft , but most likely a special asset that has got our primal juices churning :p.

18. Lily

Lily Valued Member

NK, are you trying to bait me into derailing the thread/general attention whoring (that will get me in trouble?).

KF :woo: :p

Back on topic, I learnt to not moisturise my feet before going to train. It gets really slippery on the mats (I never fall) :eek:

19. NaughtyKnight

I'm just educating you on the innermost working of men. While you may like to think that men are imposing the glass ceiling on you, in truth, they are probably just marvelling at your rack :p

20. Lily

Lily Valued Member

That's a different issue altogether NK (eg. being asked to not wear anything under you gi by training partners, guys who really take the 'look at your opponent's chest' too literally).

And whatever you say, there is a freaking glass ceiling. I've shattered it with most of the guys, but there are still 1 or 2 I have to convince each time. The mascara helps :p