to Return, or Start Anew...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by akitaka, Jun 15, 2005.

1. akitaka

akitaka Valued Member

Hello there; my second post, aside from my intro.

At 17 I got hit very hard with mononucliosis (no I don't date), and for a year had to recover. Turning 19 in a month.
    For some reason, I had not returned to Iaido or Kung-Fu since...and have very ambivalent feelings toward returning to Kung-Fu. My sifu, Joe Eager, is an excellent teacher who has some relations with overseas masters, often linked from Kenny Perez (who runs Dynamic Martial Arts wushu here in Phoenix).
    Longfist set 1-6, some 5 animals, basic broadsword/staff/dagger/spear/straight-sword forms 1-2, southern chin-na, basic cannonfist, bagua 1-2...I have forgotten most of them. I was about to start on a second form set besides long fist to concentrate on, that being the white ape set.

Recently I took a kick-boxing class at college, and the sparring made me feel more alive than usual in years.

Now I feel rather split; I can return to Mr. Eager and review/renew my form sets, and continue with the constant basic drills done in class (which sounds repetitive, but is essential), and follow a more artistic path.

Or I can start fresh and join a local Muay Thai/BJJ gym taught by 2 professional competitors (Trevor Lally and Gustavo Dantas), and train to compete; a more sport/easy path (in a sense where less elaboration and style is involved). I am very light, at 125 pounds, being 5'7'' as well. Perhaps it's because I'm Japanese? Yes I'm prepared to be knocked around, by the way.

In any case, what would any of you in the forum think? I have always been more drawn toward the more masculine aspects of such activities, but I kind of feel like I'm cheating myself by just quitting something I've been doing for a while, just to get a little adrenaline. Like...I'm joining the dark side or something :|

Well, at least I'm still young.

2. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

Is there any way you can find to do both, at least for a few months, and then decide? It would be difficult to decide what to do based on one or two classes, but perhaps with a bit more time the path will become more clear to you

3. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Well if you really want to compete then the KF will just frustrate you. Also the younger you are the easier it is to bring your standard up to competition level.

Mind you like Ren said you could always do both if you've got the time.

4. wayko

wayko New Member

dont let your size be an issue

When i was your age i was a small guy and i was in tkd for some time. both my bro were big guys hitting 6' + while me being 5'8. they told me that i should leave tkd and take up muay thai and i was reluctant to do so because i seen what they did in movies and bouts. i thought i was too small and that i would be used as a rag doll. I went and i trainned in muaythai i spent 3 years studying before i went to the airforce. when i was leaving i went from 150lbs to almost 190 and i was one of the "bigger" guys to fight =)

5. akitaka

akitaka Valued Member

Yeah I'm very much aware as to the impracticality of KF, however I feel that this is mainly because the developement takes a much longer time to make effective.
    For now, I think I'll check out the gym and see into the MT; it's a bit more expensive, but classes are every week day, so it's pretty good. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm doing this more on a self-interest basis, rather than "be tougher than the guy next door".

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i think that your "i feel alive" comment speaks for itself. your heart isn't in kf. it's in bjj/mt/ kb. go for it and good luck.