To my English/ British Friends on MAP

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aaradia, Sep 9, 2022.

1. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Both of those are due to laws pushed through by the current god awful government , not the monarchy.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Personally I wouldn't protest, hold a sign up or shout like those guys, as much as I dislike the monarchy and how they represent hierarchical British society.
    But then Prince Andrew shouldn't be there to be shouted at anyway.
    He should be in the next cell to Ghislaine Maxwell.
    No need to shout if he's where he belongs.

axelb, bassai and Dead_pool like this.
  4. Dead_pool

Technically it is the monarchy that causes bills that have passed both houses to receive royal assent.

But I get your main point.....

Conservative governments always back the status quo (not the band), and you can't get much more status quo then a monarchy.

5. Dead_pool

I heard someone said they should send the corgis to the groomers.....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62870783.amp

"Prince Andrew to care for Queen's beloved corgis"

axelb likes this.
  6. bassai

To be honest , my only problem with it is that it’s effectively at his mums funeral , time and place and all that.

7. bassai

And when was the last time time the monarchy actually got involved and blocked a new law ?

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

bassai and Dead_pool like this.
  9. David Harrison

They are enacted in her name, regardless of the input she has. As we have found out, the monarch has no problem fighting for legal exemptions when a law affects the royal family.

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

Surely the undignified part of being heckled for being a paedophile, is the person being the paedophile, not the person heckling.

In the words of the great songsmiths:

"The Grand old Duke of York
    He said he didn't sweat
    So why'd he pay 12 million quid
    To a girl he'd never met"

axelb likes this.
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah agreed. I'm all for a bit of decorum. We need more decorum.

12. bassai

Didn’t know about those David , cheers

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  13. David Harrison

It wasn't known about until a memo surfaced last year. The Guardian has been investigating it since.

14. bassai

Maybe it’s just me , everyone’s allowed to grieve.

15. bassai

Must admit I thought this was funny

Attached Files:

16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Actually, the Republicans are actually fawning over government leaders - like Putin and Viktor Orban. That concerns me a LOT more! :mad: But that is a topic for another thread.

David Harrison likes this.
  17. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

I'm not a fan of monarchies, but I take issue with the guy heckling the family in the procession and people being jerks to them over the death of her. If it were anyone else, you'd be sending condolences for the loss of a mother/grandmother etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2022
  18. David Harrison

I could understand protesters being arrested and then de-arrested for their own protection and to keep the peace, but people are being charged with public order offenses.

I don't believe in free speech being a criminal offence, even if the circumstances are distasteful.

A man was arrested in Oxford just for asking "who elected him?" when they declared Charles the king. We'll see if they decide to charge him.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2022
    bassai likes this.
  19. David Harrison

Like it or not, the royal family isn't just a family, they are a political institution. They are the authority from which our state operates. Even the armed forces swear allegiance to the monarch above the country.

As uncomfortable as it might be, and even though I wouldn't do it, I do support people's right to protest against the monarchy at this time when it is in a state of change and in the public's mind.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And unironically the kind of people who would normally take that view, when it's applied to jokes or opinions about trans issues, race, feminism, immigration or disability (or anything deemed "woke" by the Daily Heil), don't seem to be quite so keen when it's targeted at the sacred royals. They almost start to resemble fluffyy bits of frozen water that falls from the sky.

bassai and David Harrison like this.