To know or not to know

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kenpo_Iz_Active, Mar 23, 2007.

1. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Take in a deep breath and then ask me that question again. :D

I never take the net too seriously my friend. ;)

2. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

" deep bereath" phewwwwwwww

NOT WORKING.... need a paper bag.......

can't we all be friends?

3. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

Do you really think anyone over the age of 12 is going to fear you because you do martial arts?

<<shakes head, moves on>>

4. Cowardly Clyde

Cowardly Clyde Valued Member

In my experience people dont really care that I do MA! I might mention it now and again if the conversation drifts that way and generally the response if no different to what I get if I say play tennis or touch! ....although maybe if i had ranted on about it during my school days some kid might have smashed my face in....probably all depends on how old you are and who you hang out with!

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Exactly, in fact if you're training in a realistic and hard envirnoment IMHO, you're less likely to 'flip out and kill somebody' as you spend your excess aggression in a more 'constructive' and socially acceptable way.

Damn straight. As I said, we should be less likely......

Typical teenage hiearchical young male thing to want....

Again, only if the people you surround yourself with are 'hiearchical young males'.

But you would agree that you worked in a 'different society'?

Again, with the hiearchy thing.

Exactly, I don't see many people running around my work shouting:

'I do FISHING!!! I can feed my own family for a fraction of the price that you feed yours! HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!'*

:)

*Note: FF knows that you have to buy a fishing licence etc, it's just an example!

6. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Seconded. Nobody gives a fig. Since I do swordmanship, they think I might be extra crazy (why would you want to learn how to chop somebody up?), but that's about it. Either that or they think it's cool. No biggie.

-Mark

7. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

i prefer to tell them i've stopped taking my Zyprexa and the voices are telling me to go clean the guns... usually gets people more scared...great ice breaker too

i keep my MA under wraps, whats the point of making an issue of something like that? Makes you look arrogant and cocky of your uber skills :rolleyes:

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Only if you allow people to think you have uber skills. If you educate people that it's just a set of skills like any other, then not only do they stop regarding you as arrogant and cocky, but they actually meet the next martial artist better informed than they were before.

9. PhoenixMateria

PhoenixMateria Valued Member

There are two questions you should ask youself.

1) Do you WANT to tell others and why?
    2) Do you really need people to fear you?

If the answer to 2 is 'yes', then there's a problem or two you should focus on solving ASAP :cool:

10. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I've been told that MA has mellowed me out quite a bit!

11. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Guns make people fear you not MA (except maybe Dim Mak :p )

12. Boxerboy

Boxerboy Valued Member

people generally know that i box. its something that comes up because after all its a big part of my life, no different to say someone who plays rugby for a local team or someone whos a jockey. never been an issue with people, and it means no one takes my seat at parties ;)

plus its a lady magnet.