To know or not to know

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kenpo_Iz_Active, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Kenpo_Iz_Active Greek Warrior-not 300

Hey, just a thought,
    do you think it is better for people to know you are a martial artist and have people "fear" you, or to keep you martial arts status under wraps.

2. Talyn

Talyn Reality Hacker

If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

:D

3. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

the empty can makes the most noise

:D

4. Raven Wing

Raven Wing Valued Member

Knowing you do martial arts dosnt automatically make people fear you. Some people would just see it as any other hobby, some people think martial arts are crap for "real fights" (their words not mine :rolleyes: ) some people would take it as a sign that you think you are hard and decide they want to fight you to prove something.

General rule of thumb for me, if someone is a friend they will probably know I train, if they are someone I just met or a work mate I don't really know then I don't mention it unless there is a reason. I don't like having their funny reactions and if someone is of the mindset where they might just pick a fight to prove they are tougher than me then why should they have any advantage?

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I don't tell people that I meet that I do MA. Many of my old friends know I do.

6. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

I don't tell people I do MA unless they find out somehow and show a genuine interest. The only people who know are my closest friends.

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

If anyone finds out that I do MA then I have to kill them. :Alien:

8. Raven Wing

Raven Wing Valued Member

Damn, you must get through a hell of a lot of training partners! Or do you give up if they run away after discovering you do martial arts? :)

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I can't honsetly say anybody has ever been afraid of me because I've been involved with martial arts and nor should they.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Amen. And further, if they were, I'd quickly try to disabuse them of that feeling. I think it's patently ridiculous that people should fear me because I do martial arts. What threat do I pose?

Is it just the idea that I have the capability of hurting someone badly? If so, it makes at least as much sense to fear people who put on makeup while they're driving, knife salesmen in unhappy marriages, and myriad other people with the means and/or motivation to hurt someone.

Honestly, I should be the least of most people's worries.

Stuart

11. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Do you think its "cool" to have people fear you, for any reason? I would much rather be respected than feared.

James

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'd settle for "tolerated" most of the time. :D

13. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Well sure, but I like to dream :p

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

What, you're not going to flip out and kill people? :eek: :p

And no, I do not advertise to people that I have simulated the death and mutilation of my own species. Honestly, I have never thought of raising the subject. Maybe someday it will come up.

15. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

here's my thought... why would i want to announce it? and open myself up for all the usual stupid comments???

it's bad enough my family still tells everyone they meet!

16. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

people won't "fear you" if they know you know martial arts.

if anything people will want to test you even more than ever

17. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Brilliant!

I don't advertise myself as a Martial Artist. Prior to studying Martial Arts, I worked as a correctional officer and a police officer. Nobody knew what sort of training I had but most assumed that I had to have "some" training. More then once I only had to make a person believe I would cause them severe bodily harm. That ended more incidents then me waving a banner or touting my rank. Respect is earned by character, not by medals.

18. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i respect you narc..................oooo........ wait.............. no i don't......
    your fu is weak and you fart dust... i'll just run around till you tire and then i'll hit you with the arm pit manuver :p

19. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

But my Fu is not weak! My Ninja gas is toxic. I don't run so I never tire. Besides, I can always shoot you G! :woo: ;)

20. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Snap>>>>>>>>. i forgot about the gun :bang: :bang: :bang:

oooooooo narc i was just fooling around back there..... you were'nt playing for blood were you? :eek: :cry: