To ignore or to protest about tasteless humour?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Nojon, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Wtf!!?

Seriously.!?

2. Morra

Morra Valued Member

That's not at all funny, mate. You should read up on the attrocities. Aspects of the holocost can be joked about by Jews, but it's a very fine line. To actually mention killing "a few jews" like they were objects, diminishing the terrible pain of millions of people--men, women and children and infants tortured and starved and enslaved--I find your words sickening. (I am related to both Polish jews and Germans.)

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

The off the cuff remark by the OP may have been in poor taste, but it was a tongue in cheek (and not sympathetic) reference to some of the sick nonsense spouted by conspiracy theorists.

But to imply that only Jews can make jokes about something that happened to a large number of jews (among other racial, medical and political groups) is not taking any sort of high moral ground, but standing at the top of a very sticky slope that can only result in sliding down into a big pile of manure.

4. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Lighten up, there's no business like Shoah business.

5. Morra

Morra Valued Member

One of the survivors of Auschwitz talked about how the Nazis took a seven year old boy with a face of an angel, and hung him in front of everyone by the neck. It took the boy about an hour to die, and a man was crying near him, "Where is God? Where is he?" And the survivor kept thingking, "He is there, being killed..."

6. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

I think that this is quickly sliding from a joke to something serious that was never intended.
    If you ignore comments that offend you they quickly go away, if you dont they linger and become bigger.

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

If you read jest into any of the post at all, it was not at the expense of the Jewish but rather at the holocaust denial conspiracists. Obviously you have a personal concern with the subject so any perceived insensitivity will be magnified for you.

This thread is about Pandas though, so if you would like to continue a thread about acceptable boundaries of phrase associated with the holocaust I would suggest starting a new thread.

Thanks

8. Morra

Morra Valued Member

You don't ignore racism and stupidity, you call it out. "It's just a joke about pandas" does not give anyone the greenlight to make such comments about 6 million human beings being thrown into ovens. I don't get how anything can be funny when connected to such a moronic comment, and the fact that it's being glossed over to talk about pandas is not right in my book. The comment needs to be deleted and the OP should offer an apology for his terrible taste.

9. adouglasmhor

Start a thread elsewhere about it then, this thread is about pandas not the death camps, tell us how you are going to fight fascism and nazism by banning free speech. Show yourself up for the self righteous prig you aspire to being.

10. GSHAMBROOKE

I ignore racism and stupidity all the time, if i acknowleged every silly comment that was made about someone then i would be constantly upset with foolish people. If you ignore them then they are nothing. Sometimes you have to and should pull people aside and tell them that their comments and behavior is unexceptable but most of the time if you get upset with them you only play into their hands and fuel the fire.

11. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Do you believe that there are holocaust denialists that will be offended by this then? Because that's who he's taking the mick out of, not Jews.

12. Morra

Morra Valued Member

Firstly, this is a private forum and you do not have free speech here. As you are well aware of, you are not allowed to call people names, troll, attack moderators, use foul language or post private emails/ msgs.

Why can't you swear here? Because this is a family site--so the owners claim--and it has to be child friendly. What about the Jewish child or person who, when they read the joke, feel that the shoal is being made light of? In fact, unfortunately, the holocaust has been made light of in this thread, and blatantly so: "the shoal must go on" or "killed a few jews". How about string up a few blacks? Bash a few queers? Molest a few children? The hilarity never stops.

It's like on TV, you can show people getting killed every two seconds, but show a pair of boobs or a guy's tackle, and everyone is shouting about how society has degenerated. So, sure, don't swear or attack moderators on MAP, but go ahead and make light of the holocaust. Class.

"But he's taking the **** out of conspiracy theorists." Bull roar. Holocaust deniers are first and foremost racists. The conspiracy theory is secondary to their hate, and serves only as a thin cloak for their racism. Furthermore, if by mocking one group that deserves to be mocked, you potentially hurt another group, the action can't be justified.

If you really want to see something hilarious that takes the **** out of racists in the context of the holocaust, watch "Inglorious Basterds". It is done in such a way that the killing of Jews is never made light of, but at the same time, racists are mocked and Jews are empowered (mythologically).

I'm telling you, if you follow the rules of MAP, and the spirit in which those rules have been made, that line about "killing a few jews" and "the shoal must go on" have got to be deleted by the moderator as they are potentially very hurtful to forum members who may have been in death camps, or, as in my case, had family members systematically murdered in them.

13. adouglasmhor

you can't even quote me properly and what I posted was a quote from a very famous American JEWISH comic, I did not call you any names.I was very careful not to. Now go and start a thread somewhere else so we can go back to pandas and stop attention seeking.Do you think anyone would like to hear or cares how my grandmum was evacuated out into the country because it was not safe for my people in the cities, or of my dad being taken out into the street by my other gran to watch our city burning after the largest aerial bombardment of WW2? Of how my grandfather a WW1 vet with shrapnel in his face from Ypres came home from his job and went out night after night to man air defence artillery not seeing his kids for days on end. How by the end of the war he was back in full time soldiering and took part in the liberation of France? (note this wasn't in a hollywood remake of a 70s Italian war movie this was in real life - you too could have one). Stuff anyone who may be hurt by words, just shows they never take action. Bad things happened, doesn't give you the right to a free ride because they happened to someone from half a century ago. I oppose all forms of discrimination, I just don't have to be a holy joe about it. Now grow up please.

And Morra you are telling me nothing OK, you are in no authority over me so I expect an apology for trying to give me orders,

14. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Split from thread about pandas.

I realise this is an emotive topic but please keep personal insults out of it.

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

wow it's almost like MAP in days of old! :D

16. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Very true.
    Could far easier be inferred as an insult and an attack on a moderator than the original remark it was a reaction to.

A direct quote from a Jewish comedian is pretty racist, unless you're Jewish in which case it's fine :rolleyes:. Maybe this OP is Jewish, has Jewish family of is a direct descendant. Would that make the post less offensive or is it acceptable.

The rest here is pure straw hat arguement. To the best of my knowledge I have never strung up any 'blacks' on these forums, nor I have I bashed any queers within my posts. I'm fairly certain I haven't molested any children here but who knows, I did once offend you with a remark which one person did decide was in bad taste and that's just as bad in your eyes it would seem.

Ok, big jump here that all conspiracy theorists are inherantly racist towards Jews. The concept that an event did not take place is not the same as saying that the perceived victims are now the guilty party. While there may be some truth in an association between theorists and racist views, claiming that 'Holocaust Theorists are first and foremost racists' is a pretty offensive thing to say without intimate knowledge of all parties and arguments. It's Grade A stereotyping even if there is no religous agenda.

You may have guessed from the colouring of my name, but I have a pretty clear idea of what is and isn't allowed here. A comment which is a direct attack on the Jewish people may well have been deleted and if it was as terrible as you claim then more than one member would have reported the post and action would have been taken. Me being a part of the MAP team wouldn't have done me any special favours and if I had been guilty of breaking the ToS I would happily take whatever punishment was decided upon.

It's a fair system, as it is there has not been a single report by a member of MAP, which should have been your first action if you truly felt a post broke the ToS and you had grounds to complain. Derailing a thread is far closer to trolling than using the rules of the forums properly.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  17. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

If it's funny it's funny. Comedy can encourage debate about issues that would normally not be spoken about. It's a mask for many things but if it's funny regardless of how insensitive then it's funny. That's human beings for you.

18. adouglasmhor

If you want to see an empowering movie about Jews in WW2 based on fact see see defiance.

19. adouglasmhor

[​IMG]

Censorship in action.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  20. GSHAMBROOKE

Why do some jews get offended by someone saying the word jew, for many years i trained with and taught some very nice people that were jews we even socialized outside of training and not once did we discuss war, the holocust, or racism

If Jerry Seinfeld had said the same thing it would be funny right.