To be or not to be?

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Lily, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Lil, write to your city council saying you're a woman who has to walk home along street-x and find yourself scared for your safety because of indequate street lighting on the corner. You might find they'll add extra lighting and remove some of the risk.

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

It's a nice idea Moose and I hope it works for Lily. I have tried time and time again to get extra lighting in the park where I work (which is also owned by the local council) and it hasn't worked.We were hoping to get extra lighting for my safety and my staff's ,but the wonderful local residents have objected because of the small amount of light pollution it may cause.After quite a few assaults in the park you would think the local residents would care about safety,but apparently not. Makes me shudder to think how ignorant they are.

3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I had exactly the same thing happen to me as MWDAndy. Fortunately for me I stop carrying a knife shortly before me and a mate where pulled by police... he was carrying a knife and spent a few nights in a cell, but didn't get anything more than that - the charges might be a lot different these days though.

The only thing I've advised people to use is keys (car keys are usually better for their long and jagady pointed nature). You can leave some nasty marks from that and don't need to worry about it being considered as dangerous weapon.

Lily do you live in a dodgy area? 12mins walk doesn't sound much to me at all? I used to walk 1hours through dodgy areas, would usually change my path and new the streets like the back of my hand. I'm sure observation is one of the best skills you can have.

I dislike the way that if a woman is walking late at night and something happens (attacked etc) then a lot of the time the response is "what was she doing walking late at night". I have always thought the attitude should be 'why can't she walk late at night without being attacked?' and 'why is it acceptable that you will be attacked?'

4. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Well if a guy's mugging you, or whatever, he probably looked around and made shure there are no witnesses. That works both ways.

5. SWEHurricane

SWEHurricane Valued Ninjer

I wouldn't be comfortable carrying something that with out a doubt is considered as a weapon. But when I go to places that I feel aren't safe for some reason, I usually carry alot of spare change in my pocket, to throw at people for distraction.

If you feel you need to carry a weapon, use something blunt. Blades, especially short blades, are very unpredictable. And if your attacker also has a blade, well, you wouldn't like to have a knife duel I bet. Then its better to just throw something at them and run.

That's just my opinion.

6. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

But this goes right back to my point earlier. If a fight is imminent and you are fumbling in your pocket for a weapon, car keys, pocketful of change or whatever, you are going to take a beating. Sure, if you've got time to prepare, then do so but I think that would be unusual for most people.

You've got to fight with what's at hand, at least at first. Be confident in your basic defenses to protect you and reduce the opportunity for further attacks and then seize the initiative so that you are in control of the situation, not the bad guy.

7. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

No, very illegal. Pretty much everything is illegal in Australia.

8. NaughtyKnight

The good guy ALWAYS gets caught. The guy could of raped you to death, and no one would come, but as soon as you shank him in the lung, 15 undercover cops pull up. Its just the way the world works.

9. NaughtyKnight

Debbie Does Dallas? :p

10. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

11. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Andy and Tommy - I got a lot out of your posts, thanks guys :) Will try the drawing drill Tommy.

Moosey - good idea, am on it today!

axel - I actually jog 40 min to training but that's earlier in the evening, that's in a pretty secluded path way as well. I've just this week given up on it to reduce the risk to myself. Yes I am a stubborn girl but last week some guy came up to me and asked me if I wasn't scared to go alone just as I was entering the track (it was dark in the evening). I didn't panic but just said no very casually and took off :D I feel like I've sold out on what I believe in is my right to use public access ways and feel safe.

The 12 min walk is in a slightly dodgy place but its the most direct route home. Yes I do keep my keys in one hand (with all the sharp bits in between my fingers) plus I am more than aware of my surroundings/alert etc. I avoid walking close to parked cars, walk in the most bright areas if available etc. I've called my b/f once to walk me home but hate feeling like a wuss.

12. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

the keys between the fingers bit is one of the worst ideas ever, btw
    fantasy by some krotty "expert" of ol'
    if you try hitting a bag once.. see how that feels......
    lol.... it'll hurt you WAY worse than any additional damage you get from a good ol punch

have to do it : www.nosexualassault.com

13. Lily

Lily Valued Member

What the hell??! 1 in 4 women have been raped. BS.

Jesus, this is too hard, I'm going to ask my b/f to walk me home from now on.

14. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

actually lily.. in the US.. 1/4 have been raped according to the US justice department

(and their definition of rape)

15. NaughtyKnight

What is their definiton of rape?

16. Lily

Lily Valued Member

kmguy - aside from that 1 in 4 statistic, your website looks awesome. Come to Aus and do a seminar :)

Anyone know a good website for chastity belts?

17. NaughtyKnight

Get a scooter lily, they are dirt cheap. That way you can cruise along and no one will bother you, plus you get all the fresh air as you drive. Much better than a car, AND you wont get raped ;).

18. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Mwahahahaahaha, that sounds hilarious (but you're right). However, I really like walking/running. Maybe a scooter with guns attached to it?

19. NaughtyKnight

You run like 15 times a day, 1 less wont kill you.

20. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Lily there's times to run and times not to run. Stupid hour in the night in pitch black dodgy areas is a time not to :p Get a grip :D

I could believe the 1 in 4 statistic. It's likely that being unconscious/too drunk to consent or refuse, is there in the definition. Which isn't an uncommon situation.